First day out with the XP Deus finds 2 old foreign Silvers!!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Woke up early the other day to meet Worldtalker at the farm sites I've been finding a lot of late 1700's-early 1800's coins at. This time I was armed with my new XP Deus! I spent the night before reading and watching videos of how to use the Deus, trying to give myself some form of background knowledge. The learning curve may be steep on the Deus with all the options, but I just turned it on, put it in Basic 1 and started detecting. I was digging a lot of iron until I switched into GM Power, then, the good signals became much more clear. I dug a nice gilt button in an area I have gone over with the AT-Pro several times. Moving to one of the lower pastures near the barn, I dug my first coin with the Deus, an 1859 Victoria Shilling! My day was already made. The shilling wasn't too deep, the AT-Pro certainly would have also found it had its coil passed over it. We moved to the lowest field, near the river, which had recently been turned over. Chris scored a nice Merc, but all I was finding was shotgun shells and can slaw. Then I got a real nice, clean 90-92 in GM Power. I went to dig and before I put my shovel in, I saw a silvery edge shining through the dirt. My first Spanish Silver. A 1789 Half Reale! Man, I can't wait to get back into the fields. The farmer just planted, so it may be a while before I can find some more silver in that field, but the one next to it is due to be hayed any day :unhappysmiley:.

I am very happy with the XP Deus so far, but I have a lot to learn before I start pulling out the good deep stuff.

Attachments

• DSCN1948.JPG
    DSCN1948.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN1947.JPG
    DSCN1947.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have one of the best all round macines on the market. I would still run it in all-metal (not a function but combination of choices) to get the best depth. Plus get the bigger coil.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason,I am amazed at that DEUS,so tiny and light,did he plant that field? I'd say the river would be a good scout along the banks,tomorrow is 80% chance of rain,let's see what the morning brings.Next time I'll bring twice as much Powerade,got a bit dehydrated,felt like crap!Glad you got your Spanish man,that Shilling ain't nothing to sneeze at either!!Who knows what waits in those fields,recon you'll find out dude! Thanks for the Invite,I enjoyed it! As they say,"we'll have to do it again" God Bless Chris

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
You have one of the best all round macines on the market. I would still run it in all-metal (not a function but combination of choices) to get the best depth. Plus get the bigger coil.

Thank you! I will be trying many things until I learn the machine inside and out. I will buy the bigger coil when I can afford to do so. My rule for buying a detector is that the one I am using has to pay for itself and 50% of the cost of the next machine. Luckily, my AT-Pro was very good to me and covered almost 100% of the Deus. A few nice finds from now, I will absolutely get the bigger coil! Of course, I don't think there will be a next machine after the Deus for some time.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason,I am amazed at that DEUS,so tiny and light,did he plant that field? I'd say the river would be a good scout along the banks,tomorrow is 80% chance of rain,let's see what the morning brings.Next time I'll bring twice as much Powerade,got a bit dehydrated,felt like crap!Glad you got your Spanish man,that Shilling ain't nothing to sneeze at either!!Who knows what waits in those fields,recon you'll find out dude! Thanks for the Invite,I enjoyed it! As they say,"we'll have to do it again" God Bless Chris

I stopped by yesterday briefly. Before the storm chased me out, I saw all the little corn plants poking up. He must have planted just after we left. He said they will pop up overnight after a good rain like we had. You can bring your sea hunter if you want to try in the river. It would feel good to wade in a bit.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped by yesterday briefly. Before the storm chased me out, I saw all the little corn plants poking up. He must have planted just after we left. He said they will pop up overnight after a good rain like we had. You can bring your sea hunter if you want to try in the river. It would feel good to wade in a bit.
Sea Hunter, heck,I'll use my M6!Water can't be that deep,course I never looked:laughing7:
!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would appear that you're well on your way with the new machine.

Something I noticed over the years is that many do very well with a new machine. At least, until it's no longer "new". Now why might that be. Well, it's a combination of things of course, but most of all it's because while still learning the machine one tends to pay more attention to what it's "saying". Also, one tends to dig more of everything instead of allowing the machine to tell them it's junk or good. Of course, there is something to be said for a machine that is just plain better than the last one.

If I were to suggest to anyone, learn to hold onto that excitement one feels when it was new. It keeps you finding things better than when it becomes "just another day at the office". ;)

Good luck!

HH!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
It would appear that you're well on your way with the new machine.

Something I noticed over the years is that many do very well with a new machine. At least, until it's no longer "new". Now why might that be. Well, it's a combination of things of course, but most of all it's because while still learning the machine one tends to pay more attention to what it's "saying". Also, one tends to dig more of everything instead of allowing the machine to tell them it's junk or good. Of course, there is something to be said for a machine that is just plain better than the last one.

If I were to suggest to anyone, learn to hold onto that excitement one feels when it was new. It keeps you finding things better than when it becomes "just another day at the office". ;)

Good luck!

HH!
After2 years I STILL get excited,I've learned to cherry pick,then go back for more on my M-6,I'm happy with it,course I want to get an Excelerator coil for more depth! Good enough for me,don't need another,works just fine!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I will be trying many things until I learn the machine inside and out. I will buy the bigger coil when I can afford to do so. My rule for buying a detector is that the one I am using has to pay for itself and 50% of the cost of the next machine. Luckily, my AT-Pro was very good to me and covered almost 100% of the Deus. A few nice finds from now, I will absolutely get the bigger coil! Of course, I don't think there will be a next machine after the Deus for some time.

my simple rule is that it must find stuff, fullstop.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Pulled a nice 1829 Large Cent today from the same pasture where I found the 1798 and 1803 large cents, the 1809 Half cent, 1811 half cent, and 1715 King George. The pasture is about 1/2 acre, and I bet there are still more goodies to be found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread