Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for a few hours today and didn't find much a button and an 1888 Indian. For the last half hour I decided to detect along a brook near a cellar hole. Finally broke into the 1700's TWICE with that idea. The green one was about 10 feet from tge water and the clean one was about a foot away. The hole started to fill as soon as I dug. The weird thing is the green one was only about 2 inches down. Seems shallow for the age. I can't tell the date on them but I know they were only made for a few years 1786-88 or around that. Does moist soil keep coppers from turning green? Well I'm pretty excited and my hearts still pumping from this afternoon. Hope everyone else had a good day. Sorry about the pics.

image-1794462146.jpg

image-2606707313.jpg

image-3160917860.jpg

image-1112675839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 1

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries! I've found several coppers from that age in the water or in very wet mud/dirt along the stream and they are as "copper" as the day they were made.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first should clean up real nice! Lots of detail on that 1. Do not use tap water! Soak in heated "distilled" water for a couple days then use hydrogen peroxide. I can tell you the process if you instant message me. Don in SJ should pipe in on these shortly. You should take great care with these as you may have a rare variety.(Yet to be determined) Tremendous find there. Don will want some info on these as he documents where they are found. Found my first and only last year in Blandford. CONGRATS.........................Hogge

OP
OP
Greylock

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from western ma.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He lives about 10 mins away from me CM! :occasion14:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guy's , how about that they made it up to Mass. :icon_scratch: how come very few Mass coppers made it down to South Jersey , ??? I am still looking for one of your coins :metaldetector: :laughing7:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found...14 Conn's......3 Vermont's.....and 1 "Jersey". I've yet to find a Ma. Copper myself. :dontknow:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds, keep up the good work

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is about as good as it gets :icon_thumleft:.........I would definintely had to have done an underwear change before I went home.:laughing9:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off thanks for replying to me with the data I asked for. Congrats on gettting two NJ coppers, that does not happen too often but the old saying goes, where there is one there might be more!

The first one I am fairly certain is a 1787 Maris 38 variety, I am not sure of the shield side, but once the dirt is removed and I can see where the points of the shield go to in reference to the letters, than the final ID should be easy. I am hoping it is a Maris 38-Z variety,(Very Scarce variety) although the vast majority of Maris 38 varieites found are the more common one of a Maris 38-c. I have attached a photo of one of my ground found Maris 38-c for you to compare with.

The second NJ is too crudy with the pics shown to say what year or variety right now, although it appears to be different than the first coin, so I look forward to better photos with more detail showing.

Again congratulations on finding two NJ coppers.

Don

Attachments

• NJ38-C Apr03.jpg
    NJ38-C Apr03.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! NJ coppers are on my wish list.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread