Privy Excavations in Downtown Historic Charleston S.C., Digging Bottles from the Past

SeaIslandRelicBoy

Jul 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the late 1980's, and early 1990's, I learned the art of privy digging in Downtown Charleston, S.C. My teacher and mentor, was Victor Svendsen, one of Charleston's BEST privy diggers! His patience, and friendship, was just as rewarding to me as were the artifacts we found..At the time of our digs, we started out filming with a HUGE VHS Camcorder. Nothing, of coures was ever scripted, an what you see and hear, is what you get! I am happy to say that my dear freind Victor is healing up from a recent illness, and still saving relics and bottles from progress. He is the MAN!! Thanks Vic !!

Upvote 6

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great video! Congratulations
I've been hunting a local ghost town with over 100 foundations and 2-3 privy sites per building. I have yet to find artifacts as nice as you have found in Charleston. We find broken glass by the bucket and if we are really lucky a single intact bottle. Our site only dates to the late 1800's but it's all good! Cheers
:occasion14:

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
keep these awesome videos coming...

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome video

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific video.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That video fired me up to do some digging tomorrow morning.
We've been getting skunked lately, everything has been dipped sometime in the past.
But hey, we're learning every time we go out.
Mucho Kudos!
Carl

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome video...congrats ! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
SeaIslandRelicBoy

SeaIslandRelicBoy

Jul 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was cool about this one was..

Love that video! AND the history lesson at the end!

We knew the history on the house. The water was a ral problem, but the water table is very high, and this home is right on Charleston Harbor.

Thanks!
REB

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding video, and amazing finds. Loved the chamber pot, the blue willow bowl and the pitcher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread