Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Trench on Beach Produces Silver

Went to the beach last Sunday looking for Diggummup. I couldn't find him, but I noticed they were digging a trench on the beach next to the boardwalk. They were putting in pipes for showers and lights, I guess, and a footing for a new wall. I hate finding clad, so I jumped in, hoping for something old. About a half hour produced one silver 1946 dime, a 1962 zip top.

A couple days later, I decided to go back at nite and try again when the workers were gone. In about an hour, I found 4 quarters, 10 silver dimes, and wheat pennies! ;D I was finding silver on every third hit! Not bad for an easy digging beach. This is the way MDing should always be, (I thought to myself.) I worked til it got dark. I wished the Ace 250 had a lit up screen.

I came back the next night, armed with a flashlight and camera, hoping to finish the job. I was too late. The trench was partially filled in. The next few hours produced only pennies and modern trash. :(

I went back last nite and worked the piles, but only found pennies. :(
Well here are the pics I took after the ditch was partially filled and my coins. It is obviously not a great find, but Ill take it. :) ;D

Attachments

• MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 2,644
  • MVC-004E.JPG
    MVC-004E.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 2,651
  • MVC-005E.JPG
    MVC-005E.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 2,662
  • MVC-001E.JPG
    MVC-001E.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 2,665
  • MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 2,679
Upvote 2

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Trench on Beach Produces Silver

Nice coins

kept1979

May 3, 2005
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Cool finds. Were you concerned regarding the "No Tresspassing" notice? Hard to believe that it is a felony in Florida.

S

sendin

That's a big reason Florida gets so many votes on that post about the best state for detecting. I would be jumbing around like a rabbit on expresso if I got silver on every third hit.

Maybe you should get one of those headlights so you can see your display when it gets dark?

WTG & Congratulations!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds! HH, Mike

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

sendin said:
That's a big reason Florida gets so many votes on that post about the best state for detecting. I would be jumbing around like a rabbit on expresso if I got silver on every third hit.

Maybe you should get one of those headlights so you can see your display when it gets dark?

WTG & Congratulations!
Thanks guys for the nice comments. I was doing the happy dance. I didnt know it would all end so quickly. Who knows? Construction is not yet finished. ::) ;)

The problem with South Florida is that I can find nothing older than the 20th century, unless Im looking for old Spanish treasure. I was always jealous of those who live in New England or near a Civil War site.Europe must be a dream. I guess it is always greener grass somewhere else.

Some of my silver coins where in the water at one time. They must have been thrown up by a storm, and almost all in the same area. Interesting.

Attachments

• MVC-003E.JPG
    MVC-003E.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,523
  • MVC-002E.JPG
    MVC-002E.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 2,511
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 2,377

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"you jumped the fence " :o ;D

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrat's on all the silver BigCy....Too bad about the fill in but what about the litle embankment going up form the trench....Give her a shot,gotta be somethin' waitn' for ya' there....Never know....HH!!

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Cap Z. said:
Nice Big C.

Looks like the 'trench' is about three feet max?

HH

Cap Z.
It was deeper before they buried the new grey plastic conduit pipes. About waist deep. Thats where the good stuff was, in the shells.
kept1979 said:
Cool finds. Were you concerned regarding the "No Tresspassing" notice? Hard to believe that it is a felony in Florida.
I didnt see it until I came back with camera. There was no fence, only orange ribbon. I was very careful around the pipes and filled in all my holes. I am not really worried. It is a tourist beach and I speaka no e-glase. ;) ;)
civilman1 said:
Congrat's on all the silver BigCy....Too bad about the fill in but what about the litle embankment going up form the trench....Give her a shot,gotta be somethin' waitn' for ya' there....Never know....HH!!
Yes, I should go back. I dug some pennies from the embankment wall.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats a great hunt in my book. Too bad the silver turns like that. Same thing happens here in Utah around the Great Salt Lake. I once found a 1871 half dollar that was really just ruined by the salt in the soil.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Congratulations that is awesome. Rare to be somewhere to find silver on so many swings. Hope you can pull some more out.

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Thanks everyone. The trench started around Pierce Street and is now at Hollywood Blvd. behind the dunes, and construction is headed south. I dont know how far south they are planning to go but it could possibly be for a couple miles. Im going out of town on a wild hog hunting trip and wont be able to search the trench the rest of this week. If anyone lives in the Hollywood/Hallandale area they may hit a hot spot and do better than I. Please post pics. ;D

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

WOW, BigC......silver every third hit? how cool THAT musta been :)
Good luck on the hog hunt!
(sitting here shivering...'coverting' you lattitude+longitude :(
Ash

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I wish it would get cool here. :( Kinda tired of the heat. The pigs would like some cool weather too. :D It invigorates them and they move around more and stay out later. ;D I predict a Bar-B-Q. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions