TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today me and my dad went to a park we have hunted before. This was the first time I got a chance to use my Cibola I got yesterday, and was the first time I ever used a Tesoro MD.

First thing, I was amazed at the amount of coins I found that I left behind when I detected it with my BH 3300. Most of my finds were in the 2" to 4" range, and it was obvious they weren't recently lost. The shocking thing was I found a total of 50 pull-tabs.. I counted twice to be sure due to the odd number. The detector was sounding off in areas where I never heard a peep out of the BH 3300.

Even with the one tone, the Cibola offers a lot of information in the tone. It seems to change pitch/loudness/length of sound, and at times it seems to scream when targets were close to the ground surface. The deeper coins, and if they were on edge, the tone would be quieter or even nearly a whisper. Near the end of the day I didn't miss my LCD display, and was spending more time starting to learn the sounds and what find I would uncover.

I had a good day the first time out with my Tesoro, I found more than I have in awhile and more than I thought I would. I have a lot of learning to do on this machine and can't wait to get in some time and get to understand it. After digging so much I thought I'd play around with the controls, it is easy to thumb through them and get a idea of the find before digging.

The standard 9" x 8" coil did great at the park, even in the trashy areas - I just swept the coil slowly. Using the discrimination was easy and really helped to nearly stop pull-tab digging. I can't sing praises for the Cibola yet, but if today was any indication of what I can expect once I learn the MD, it truly is a underrated MD and brand!

My first discovery was a nickel about 5" deep in the sand tot lot. As it was my first with the Tesoro I couldn't pass-up the chance to take a photo...

finds1-7-28-12.jpg

In total I found 1 quarter, 1 dime, 5 nickels, 7 pennies, a metal Jordache button, and a Hotwheels car. Not shown are some random trash and the large collection of old beaver tail pull-tabs.

finds2-7-28-12.jpg

Upvote 0

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds! I love the Tesoro Cibola. So much so that I got rid of my Fisher 1265x and now own 2 of them (One for me and my wife). The depth is amazing. Have you tried it Supertuned yet? Sometimes I get frustrated on having to dig the deep items. Wears me out lol. Backed with a lifetime warranty you just can't beat it. One thing I have found is it is an amazing relic hunting machine. Hope you enjoy it! I know I do and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I thought it was a great day as I found about the same amount of clad the first time I went there, and especially considering my first time out with that MD it did great. I haven't hunted with it Supertuned yet, I thought I'd get a feel for the Cibola first with my sensitivity on the 9/10 range. Yes the depth is amazing and I myself was wore out when I got back home - towards the end I was trying to disc anything out that wasn't a good solid coin signal.

Indeed I am a fan of the Tesoro's, and I am eagerly looking forward to my next hunt with it. GL & HH to you :D

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It will only get better as you use it. I have been using one for several years now and use it relic hunting. I have dug an untold number of Civil War bullets, a sword and a US belt plate. I love it...d2

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your new Tesoro!

Welcome to the Tesoro club! I have the Sand Shark, Lobo Super Traq, and Cibola. The Cibola is my "Park & Playground" hunter of choice, because of the depth and discrimination abilities. Try "Super Tuning," by putting the Theshold and Sensitivity in the 3pm position, and your discrimination just under Nickel. Big Gold to you! Here are photos of a recent Cibola hunt at a local school.. :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• hawthorne72112 001.jpg
    hawthorne72112 001.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 114
  • hawthorne72112 003.jpg
    hawthorne72112 003.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 128
  • hawthorne72112 002.jpg
    hawthorne72112 002.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 96
  • hawthorne72112 007.jpg
    hawthorne72112 007.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will only get better as you use it. I have been using one for several years now and use it relic hunting. I have dug an untold number of Civil War bullets, a sword and a US belt plate. I love it...d2

I can't wait to try it out some other places when I can. Glad to hear it your having such great finds. I haven't tried detecting for Civil War items, sounds like it would be a fun trip. I do have to ask though in most of the pictures of the bullets they seem to be colored white - is that due to the metal/lead? or what? I've found many things that have been discolored but it is usually black or red.

Welcome to the Tesoro club! I have the Sand Shark, Lobo Super Traq, and Cibola. The Cibola is my "Park & Playground" hunter of choice, because of the depth and discrimination abilities. Try "Super Tuning," by putting the Theshold and Sensitivity in the 3pm position, and your discrimination just under Nickel. Big Gold to you! Here are photos of a recent Cibola hunt at a local school.. :icon_thumright:

Thanks, seems I am in good hands. :D I will have to try super tuning next time out, thanks for the info. Wow, quite a impressive list of finds on the hunt, congrats! GL & HH

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of Nickels and pull tabs...yup it's only a matter of time before you find gold with your new Cibola. Congratulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread