Can you tell me what this is? Indian artifact/tool?

stphaniesuer

Greenie
Jul 30, 2012
Austin Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• indian1.jpg
    indian1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 183
  • indian2.jpg
    indian2.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 189
  • indian3.jpg
    indian3.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 196
  • indian4.jpg
    indian4.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what it is, but it looks amazing! hope someone can ID it. good luck

OP
OP
S

stphaniesuer

Greenie
Jul 30, 2012
Austin Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a native American tool used for skinning an animal?

It is made of stone (chalk-like) It does look like it would have been used to hold a skin and scrape it. When you hold it it is a perfect fit in one hand and it is concave more on one side than the other , like it was worked more on that side. I would love to find out what it is. Native American or prehistoric. I am thinking Native American. Does anyone have any suggestions who I should ask?

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting for sure. Recheck the area it was found in. What was the history there and what prehistoric record already exists in that place? Get into some books. It is quite curious! Good luck!!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks sorta like an abrading stone

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting for sure. Recheck the area it was found in. What was the history there and what prehistoric record already exists in that place? Get into some books. It is quite curious! You perhaps it had another handle on the other end, then spike end and was used like a spoke shave. Good luck!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Think girl. You live in Austin. Run over to UT and check with the anthropology dept. They will identify it or if you are worried just use one of their libraries to look it up. It is limestone if you say it is stone, but check with UT.

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a guess, But maybe a hide tool, For scrapping or some other step in the tanning process..JMHO.................HH

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say something for ceremonial being made of a chalky stone would be strong enough for hide work IMHO

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
post it in American Indian Artifacts, this forum.....scroll waaaaayyy down to the bottom.

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a indian artifact.I think it could be a Mace.Identification;Large chipped flint or polish slate,sometimes other material is used,scepter stone.This is just a guess on my part.Try to post this on the artifact forum under American Indian Artifacts, .There are a lot of people that would like to see this and some may be able to tell you something about it.Take care and keep looking.

Just click on American Indian Artifacts, it will take you there

Last edited:

charleshudgen

Jul 31, 2012
United States
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's really hard to guess what would be that kind of artifact unless you seek a help from a professional who is knowledgeable in identifying this object. What you have found is really interesting but for you to find out what is your holding to send it to the one who knows about artifacts.

OP
OP
S

stphaniesuer

Greenie
Jul 30, 2012
Austin Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a indian artifact.I think it could be a Mace.Identification;Large chipped flint or polish slate,sometimes other material is used,scepter stone.This is just a guess on my part.Try to post this on the artifact forum under American Indian Artifacts, .There are a lot of people that would like to see this and some may be able to tell you something about it.Take care and keep looking.

Just click on American Indian Artifacts, it will take you there

Thank you so much. I have been digging most of my life here in Austin and the Hill Country and this piece is the most amazing piece ever! Thank you very much for your help. I really hope someone can identify it for me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
S

stphaniesuer

Greenie
Jul 30, 2012
Austin Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received a response from Joel Gunn. Thank you all for your help. I let him know that I really think I should take it to someone that can actually look at it up close and personal. To me there are just to many alterations for it to be just a rock. Can you tell I am a little stubborn? lol
"Hi, Stephanie,

Yes, those were the days. I still have occasional communications with Dick because I am doing some work in the Maya Lowlands. I haven't heard anything about Anne since I visited SA about five years ago but she looked well and busy then.

I haven't done anything with Texas archaeology since I left 20 years ago but the piece you sent photos looks familiar. It is the sort of thing that gets carved out by the drip, drip, drip of solution cavities in the Edwards Limestone. That is not to say that someone 10,000 years ago didn't notice the same thing you did, that it would make a good snail conquer or a decoration for the hearth. Naturally carved stones like this can occur anywhere as the surface of the limestone erodes down. However, if you found it in some kind of context like lying on a pile of chert flakes, you could make some kind of argument. Also, if the edges were examined for tell-tale wear patterns, that might amount to something. Since I now live in North Carolina, I am afraid you will have to wait for that August appointment.

Let me know who says what about it.

Best regards,
Joel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread