San Quentin State Prison silver ring ! Its #100 and its my largest silver ever !

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
San Quentin State Prison silver ring ! It's #100 and it's my largest silver ever !

What great three days of hunting ! Tonight was the topper :headbang: . I hunted with EAGLEFORCE tonight for about an hour and a half at a local school . Ryan struck GOLD right away , check out his post . I was finding quarter after quarter for a total of $10.47 ! The sun was down so we started heading back to the trucks . My last target of the hunt would be one of my best ever ! I had a +87 at one inch , I'm hoping for big silver , come on #100 ! It was #100 ring of the year and my largest ever silver ring found in 14 years ! It weighs 18.1 grams of sterling silver . The best part is it's from San Quentin State Prison ! I believe it is a inmates ring , prison made . I still can't believe the things that are found in school fields . Who wore it and why were they on the school grounds . Anyone have any ideas about this ring ?
HH
Glen

Attachments

• IMG_5721.JPG
    IMG_5721.JPG
    512.4 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_5722.JPG
    IMG_5722.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_5725.JPG
    IMG_5725.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_5726.JPG
    IMG_5726.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_5727.JPG
    IMG_5727.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_5728.JPG
    IMG_5728.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 463
Upvote 9
OP
OP
pl8man

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like I said in my last post my buddy Jeff worked as a San Quentin guard and still has a friend that is a guard now . He said he feels it's made by an inmate illegally . It would have a sterling stamp or 925 if it's new from a gift shop . It has no stamps at all .
Glen

SQKellerman

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
whatever I can get my hands on
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i love the ring! Inmates used to make the rings from the 1980's to the early 1990's. Production was stopped due to copyright infringements since the design was taken from belt buckles manufactured by Pigville Ironworks. The molds were to be destroyed but many were sent to family or friends of inmates. This ring may have been produced by one of the molds that did not get destroyed rather than an original one made by inmates.

OP
OP
pl8man

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i love the ring! Inmates used to make the rings from the 1980's to the early 1990's. Production was stopped due to copyright infringements since the design was taken from belt buckles manufactured by Pigville Ironworks. The molds were to be destroyed but many were sent to family or friends of inmates. This ring may have been produced by one of the molds that did not get destroyed rather than an original one made by inmates.

Great info ! Thanks
Glen

NashvilleLife

Tenderfoot
Oct 16, 2011
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Tesoro Tiger Shark 10.5" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome buddy! You're wrong about one thing though... that's not your biggest ring, you haven't found it yet... HH!

OP
OP
pl8man

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome buddy! You're wrong about one thing though... that's not your biggest ring, you haven't found it yet... HH!

I hope your right :icon_thumright:
Thanks
Glen

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it fits ya, its one neat looking ring..

OP
OP
pl8man

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
pl8man

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some more info that a friend found for me .
Glen

"In the 1960?s 25% of the inmates were engaged in some form of cultural activity. In 1968, the New York Times featured an article describing items being made and sold at San Quentin, including men?s and women?s jewelry, (including cuff links, earrings, necklace pendants, pins in the forms of animals and birds, and bracelets) which were being made with metals and stones. Inmates would pay for their own materials from sales during the annual arts and crafts show, which was open to the public, and through year round handicraft-store sales to prison visitors. Today, prisons continue to offer arts and crafts for inmates even while much work is spent bringing facilities up to basic federal and state standards. In New Jersey, inmates are supported by a nonprofit organization called New Jersey People for Prisoners Art, Inc. The group is one of a handful of such groups throughout the country, which support artists and artisans who are behind bars. Administration officials note that research supports the fact that inmates involved in artistic activity are not as prone to violent confrontations.

There's a museum at San Quentin, which prominently features a prison jewelry exhibit. The inmates here have reportedly made some amazing things over the years. San Quentin State Prison opened in July 1852; it's the oldest prison in the State of California."

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
How dare you beat me to 100 rings this year.....great job. AWESOME silver.

TwigsLady

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What great three days of hunting ! Tonight was the topper :headbang: . I hunted with EAGLEFORCE tonight for about an hour and a half at a local school . Ryan struck GOLD right away , check out his post . I was finding quarter after quarter for a total of $10.47 ! The sun was down so we started heading back to the trucks . My last target of the hunt would be one of my best ever ! I had a +87 at one inch , I'm hoping for big silver , come on #100 ! It was #100 ring of the year and my largest ever silver ring found in 14 years ! It weighs 18.1 grams of sterling silver . The best part is it's from San Quentin State Prison ! I believe it is a inmates ring , prison made . I still can't believe the things that are found in school fields . Who wore it and why were they on the school grounds . Anyone have any ideas about this ring ?
HH
Glen

This ring was made by my husband, Twig, in the 1980's. He was a jeweler and made it as part of his in cell hobby program. He made several thousand of these rings during his time there.

Joy

TwigsLady

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This isn't quite right. My husband, Twig, actually made the design himself from wax. They were still being made just this past year by inmates. Unfortunately, after my husband left San Quentin in 1989, a guard decided to copyright his design and has been getting royalties off his design for many years.

Joy

TwigsLady

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the first joke I made when I got home and showed it to my Wife :laughing7:
Welcome to the forum !
Glen

It could easily have come from the prison gift shop, or the many gift shops around the San Francisco Bay area that ordered rings from him by the hundreds. They sold them in local gift shops and they sold really well.

Joy

TwigsLady

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, if you want to contact the original designer directly, I know he'd love to hear from the guy that found it. Just pm me and I'll put you in touch.

Joy

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is some more info that a friend found for me .
Glen

"In the 1960?s 25% of the inmates were engaged in some form of cultural activity. In 1968, the New York Times featured an article describing items being made and sold at San Quentin, including men?s and women?s jewelry, (including cuff links, earrings, necklace pendants, pins in the forms of animals and birds, and bracelets) which were being made with metals and stones. Inmates would pay for their own materials from sales during the annual arts and crafts show, which was open to the public, and through year round handicraft-store sales to prison visitors. Today, prisons continue to offer arts and crafts for inmates even while much work is spent bringing facilities up to basic federal and state standards. In New Jersey, inmates are supported by a nonprofit organization called New Jersey People for Prisoners Art, Inc. The group is one of a handful of such groups throughout the country, which support artists and artisans who are behind bars. Administration officials note that research supports the fact that inmates involved in artistic activity are not as prone to violent confrontations.

There's a museum at San Quentin, which prominently features a prison jewelry exhibit. The inmates here have reportedly made some amazing things over the years. San Quentin State Prison opened in July 1852; it's the oldest prison in the State of California."
Neat Find and Article.
Lots of talent behind the wall, and if you can't make it yourself, someone can get it for you.

Cons Rule :headbang:

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting