Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: San Quentin State Prison silver ring ! It's #100 and it's my largest silver ever !

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2012
    5 times
    Nice find my friend.

us
    King of the rings

Mar 2009
    San Jose , California
    Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
    2306 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie pr View Post
    Nice find my friend.
    Thanks and welcome to the forum !
    Glen
    Always looking for that next ring !!

us
    King of the rings

Mar 2009
    San Jose , California
    2306 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleLife View Post
    That's awesome buddy! You're wrong about one thing though... that's not your biggest ring, you haven't found it yet... HH!
    I hope your right
    Thanks
    Glen

us
    Aug 2007
    NJ
    EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
    105 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I hope it fits ya, its one neat looking ring..
    pl8man likes this.
    Live your life in such a way, that when your feet hit the floor  in the morning, satan shudders and says, OH CHIT, SHE'S AWAKE.

us
    King of the rings

Mar 2009
    San Jose , California
    2306 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by bootybay View Post
    I hope it fits ya, its one neat looking ring..
    It does fit but I'm not sure it would look good on my finger
    Thanks
    Glen

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac
    568 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    very cool find!
    Debby

us
    King of the rings

Mar 2009
    San Jose , California
    2306 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Here is some more info that a friend found for me .
    Glen

"In the 1960?s 25% of the inmates were engaged in some form of cultural activity. In 1968, the New York Times featured an article describing items being made and sold at San Quentin, including men?s and women?s jewelry, (including cuff links, earrings, necklace pendants, pins in the forms of animals and birds, and bracelets) which were being made with metals and stones. Inmates would pay for their own materials from sales during the annual arts and crafts show, which was open to the public, and through year round handicraft-store sales to prison visitors. Today, prisons continue to offer arts and crafts for inmates even while much work is spent bringing facilities up to basic federal and state standards. In New Jersey, inmates are supported by a nonprofit organization called New Jersey People for Prisoners Art, Inc. The group is one of a handful of such groups throughout the country, which support artists and artisans who are behind bars. Administration officials note that research supports the fact that inmates involved in artistic activity are not as prone to violent confrontations.

There's a museum at San Quentin, which prominently features a prison jewelry exhibit. The inmates here have reportedly made some amazing things over the years. San Quentin State Prison opened in July 1852; it's the oldest prison in the State of California."

us
    Jun 2006
    Texas
    Whites-DSL
    88 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    How dare you beat me to 100 rings this year.....great job. AWESOME silver.
    pl8man likes this.
    Rings are works of art and I LOVE to collect them.
    (2013 61 rings (19 gold, 33 silver & 9 stainless).

2014 GOAL 100:
    gold rings-3
    silver rings-3
    titanium rings-0

Aug 2012
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pl8man View Post
    What great three days of hunting ! Tonight was the topper . I hunted with EAGLEFORCE tonight for about an hour and a half at a local school . Ryan struck GOLD right away , check out his post . I was finding quarter after quarter for a total of $10.47 ! The sun was down so we started heading back to the trucks . My last target of the hunt would be one of my best ever ! I had a +87 at one inch , I'm hoping for big silver , come on #100 ! It was #100 ring of the year and my largest ever silver ring found in 14 years ! It weighs 18.1 grams of sterling silver . The best part is it's from San Quentin State Prison ! I believe it is a inmates ring , prison made . I still can't believe the things that are found in school fields . Who wore it and why were they on the school grounds . Anyone have any ideas about this ring ?
    HH
    Glen
    This ring was made by my husband, Twig, in the 1980's. He was a jeweler and made it as part of his in cell hobby program. He made several thousand of these rings during his time there.

Joy
    pl8man and diggummup like this.

Aug 2012
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SQKellerman View Post
    i love the ring! Inmates used to make the rings from the 1980's to the early 1990's. Production was stopped due to copyright infringements since the design was taken from belt buckles manufactured by Pigville Ironworks. The molds were to be destroyed but many were sent to family or friends of inmates. This ring may have been produced by one of the molds that did not get destroyed rather than an original one made by inmates.
    This isn't quite right. My husband, Twig, actually made the design himself from wax. They were still being made just this past year by inmates. Unfortunately, after my husband left San Quentin in 1989, a guard decided to copyright his design and has been getting royalties off his design for many years.

Joy

Aug 2012
    2 times
    That's the first joke I made when I got home and showed it to my Wife
    Welcome to the forum !
    Glen
    It could easily have come from the prison gift shop, or the many gift shops around the San Francisco Bay area that ordered rings from him by the hundreds. They sold them in local gift shops and they sold really well.

Joy

Aug 2012
    2 times
    Oh, if you want to contact the original designer directly, I know he'd love to hear from the guy that found it. Just pm me and I'll put you in touch.

Joy

th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    135 times
    Cool that the ring already has a lot of history to it, its a KEEPER!

us
    Jan 2010
    New Hampshire
    Whatever Beeps
    327 times
    Banner Finds (6)
    Here is some more info that a friend found for me .
    Glen

"In the 1960?s 25% of the inmates were engaged in some form of cultural activity. In 1968, the New York Times featured an article describing items being made and sold at San Quentin, including men?s and women?s jewelry, (including cuff links, earrings, necklace pendants, pins in the forms of animals and birds, and bracelets) which were being made with metals and stones. Inmates would pay for their own materials from sales during the annual arts and crafts show, which was open to the public, and through year round handicraft-store sales to prison visitors. Today, prisons continue to offer arts and crafts for inmates even while much work is spent bringing facilities up to basic federal and state standards. In New Jersey, inmates are supported by a nonprofit organization called New Jersey People for Prisoners Art, Inc. The group is one of a handful of such groups throughout the country, which support artists and artisans who are behind bars. Administration officials note that research supports the fact that inmates involved in artistic activity are not as prone to violent confrontations.

There's a museum at San Quentin, which prominently features a prison jewelry exhibit. The inmates here have reportedly made some amazing things over the years. San Quentin State Prison opened in July 1852; it's the oldest prison in the State of California."
    Neat Find and Article.
    Lots of talent behind the wall, and if you can't make it yourself, someone can get it for you.

Cons Rule
    Last edited by steelheadwill; Aug 04, 2012 at 03:31 AM.
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

Nice chunk
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors