Sundays Pre-Civil war relic hunt +button and relic id help too...

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunday's Pre-Civil war relic hunt +button and relic id help too...

I can't quit going out to this river crossing that continues to produce Dragoon buttons.. Sunday was different. I did find a Dragoon cuff button and a Great Coat button.
9J1aY.jpg

6uRxv.jpg

Then the really odd and old finds started showing up. Everyone of these were in about a 5 yard square.. Most were at the 5-6in range in hard red clay..
First was this smash lead that was originally rolled up. I almost put it in my junk pouch, when I remembered a smashed lead ball that I had found. Someone had carved a fish out of it and cut little scales on it..So I unrolled this find and this is what it looks like.. Now I have looked at this thing with a loop, in a blowed up picture and it looks like an Eagle's head. Where the hole is, is about where his eye would be...Just wondering if anyone else has seen anything remotely close to this...
TxW75.jpg

I have it posted again in the last photo to give a general reference size to it.

It was at about 6 inches and below it about another two was this broken pewter spoon.
NpgqL.jpg

Next to this hole was another piece of smashed lead the looks to have a pattern on it.
Hblx7.jpg

The back also has a pattern of some sort..It looks deliberate, not chance. Almost like words, maybe a seal?...
o2j79.jpg

My next couple finds are buttons.
One is this 14mm size 1 piece button. It still has some of the gilt left on it although it doesn't look gold more like silver. I have found one of these before but donated it to a local museum. This one has a silver type color on the back also. No Backmark that I can see.
The button doesn't match up to anything in Albert's book, except old Infantry regiment buttons from 1815-1821. Although none are an exact match. The leg looks different, the Eagle's head is the major difference.. None seem to look anything close to it.. Hoping someone reading this knows about this button.
h8L1q.jpg

You can't tell in the photo but where the red is its shiny underneath.. I started cleaning it under water with a brush and noticed it was coming off so I stopped.

The next was this U.S William Pinchin Button. 1827.
ahseO.jpg

Backmark W.P. Phila
1Vcp3.jpg

I find shirt buttons all the time but this one is total different. About 14mm front looks plain.
gfKDh.jpg

Back has some sort of backmark but is really deteriorated.
Ys4AC.jpg

Also was this 12mm flat button. I have found two of these in the last 2 days. It has a hump in the middle and the shank on the back is larger than normal. I think it is pewter...It has mold marks on the back.
0OfNA.jpg

hRpBO.jpg

MrzFA.jpg

Here are all the finds from that hunt. I appreciate the views and if anyone can help me id some of these I would appreciate it..
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Upvote 3

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great saves - thanks for posting.

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Great collection!

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
Nice finds there nieghbor, cudos on fighting the heat. That small eagle button looks like a forage cap strap button

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldnt/wouldnt stop hunting that spot either!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and military relics :headbang: Were some of those near the river crossing ??? very corroded :icon_scratch: hmmmm, more than most posted Okey buttons .. your Dragoon , Eagle button is a great dig .... those are a rare find in New Jersey

CMDdawg
:cool:

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt and military relics :headbang: Were some of those near the river crossing ??? very corroded :icon_scratch: hmmmm, more than most posted Okey buttons .. your Dragoon , Eagle button is a great dig .... those are a rare find in New Jersey

CMDdawg
:cool:
the river is 60 yards from these finds.. the red clay is really tough here in Ok.. there are some spots where the sand is really deep and the buttons look great.. but if there are in this clay they look bad..Dragoon's first official duty was in Oklahoma and they used this crossing. during the Dodge-Leavenworth expedition.. then they built a fort about 16 miles from here...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A killer days hunt, and amazing finds................HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great hunt and pictures. Thank you for sharing with us. Looks to be a very nice site.
HH
TnMtns

Mrshafer

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found smashed lead balls that have imprints of coins on them several times. I think they were used as poker chips. If you want to remove the white crusty on that lead to see the design better CLR works but will make it look new and people will have to take your word that its from what ever period it is from. Very nice stuff

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, Great finds! Second, you should read my thread in the "Cleaning and Preservation" section about Cleaning Buttons. Don't ever toothbrush a gilded button. There are lots of tips in my post there on how to clean and preserve your button finds (a similar article by me was published in W&E Treasures Magazine a year or so ago).

Best Wishes,

Buckles

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks as if it could have been the lead out of a eagle breastplate??
Not for sure though. Great outing though!

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks everyone for the replies especially on the cleaning. I strongly believe these were the very first commissioned dragoon troops(not to be confused with light dragoon troops from an earlier period) that were in the Leavenworth-Dodge Expedition in 1832/1833. companies A through H. I wrote a piece about these finds on my website but I am in the middle of a move and won't have the internet/computer until we find a house so I can't post a link. But thanks again for the replies!!!!

Sent by Gonehunting for History's Android.......

lliebsch

Jul 18, 2012
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Brooke has a Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My daughter and I found something similar to your flattened piece of lead. Any ideas? Here is ours. md2-2.jpg

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off. What is the history of the area that you found it?. To be honest we still don't know what the smaller piece I have is. I have had several say a seal of some sort, another says part of a flint holder like the the larger piece in the post. maybe someone. else reading this may know...
My daughter and I found something similar to your flattened piece of lead. Any ideas? Here is ours. View attachment 674619

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread