Ky boys Need some advice!!!

T.C.W.

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys and the gang are heading out for a big hunt next week. Sat is my bday and and we convinced the ladies to "let the kids out to play" for the day. I want to try to make this a special day with some postable finds. My question first off is we are Louisville, need some advice as to possibly where to hunt, unfortunately all our parks are under mding ban. I've read tons of reviews about elementary schools but just thought I'd ask the experts ;). Any and all ideas are welcomed. We all are really anxious to get out and try to be productive!!! Rolling with 3 detectors and pointers. Really amped about our squad. Lol. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
schools are a good place but another place to look is road medians. I have done 2 median hunts and pulled out 1 silver and about 9 wheats and they were small medians. This is coming from a town that started in 1943. Louisville is much older

OP
OP
T

T.C.W.

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
I work intersections everyday due to my job but didn't think of that. There is actually an old train station that is now abandon a few counties away I was wondering about that area!!

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit that old train station!! Lots of dropped coins from people getting on and off the train, and probably some old memorabilia, tools, parts, etc. Please post your finds.

OP
OP
T

T.C.W.

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
I like that option too. May corral a squad of five. This maybe too much fun.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't downplay schools, not even Elementary schools. I've been working schools almost exclusively. My finds has been very good and include some gold and silver items.
Though I haven't found the motherlode, it has been worth my effort. My thoughts on other hunting grounds is simple, if it's dirt and not private property, then it needs a good Md'ing.

Hope you do well. Happy birthday.

Hey guys and the gang are heading out for a big hunt next week. Sat is my bday and and we convinced the ladies to "let the kids out to play" for the day. I want to try to make this a special day with some postable finds. My question first off is we are Louisville, need some advice as to possibly where to hunt, unfortunately all our parks are under mding ban. I've read tons of reviews about elementary schools but just thought I'd ask the experts ;). Any and all ideas are welcomed. We all are really anxious to get out and try to be productive!!! Rolling with 3 detectors and pointers. Really amped about our squad. Lol. Thanks guys.

OP
OP
T

T.C.W.

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
There is also an old school nearby that has been abandon for many years. This could be a very exciting time. I can't wait to get out there.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Was I the only one who did a double take when they saw KY boys? That just don't sound right :laughing9: good luck on the birthday hunt!!

OP
OP
T

T.C.W.

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
There is always one in every crowd. Guess I'll be more specific next time.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KY boys....see if you can get permission at some old homes with big yards. Doesn't hurt to do it a day or two before ya go. Then you will be lined up. Don't be afraid to knock. Give them a business card if ya have em. Makes people feel better about your accountability. Don't forget fairgrounds. Happy almost Bday. Good Luck from your neighbor in TN.:occasion14:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old school sounds okay but I'm partial to relic hunting whenever i'm up that way. I'd drive out of town and find a nice old place in the country to hunt. I know there are plenty of them up there. Knock on a door or two. Do a little research and maybe a recon mission beforehand, you have time. Think abandoned properties in out of the way places as well as Union encampments.
Good luck and keep us posted.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no matter where you end up...........remember your metal detecting eticate.......fill in all your plugs and leave the place "better" than you find it......or there may be more "bans" in your area......HH

OP
OP
T

T.C.W.

Greenie
Jul 25, 2012
Yes I do know that its the right thing to do. Remove trash and fill your holes. I am really anxious to see what's out there in this gem. It hasn't been touched in many years. No telling what's out there.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
gilgar said:
Was I the only one who did a double take when they saw KY boys? That just don't sound right :laughing9: good luck on the birthday hunt!!

LOL

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So update us on how you guys did. Where did you all end up going..

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research old areas & get in those ploughed fields.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gilgar that was my thoughts as well :icon_scratch:! Ok guys do your research like a good detectorist ! Google old home sites in louisville and see what comes up ,check online for old maps showing old houses and get to door knocking !Honestly intersections ,train station ,you could get in trouble there stick to private land with permission of course your better off and alot safer !

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I lived there for 8 years, and dug quite a few nice things... ;) What I'll say is this: any area you're going to be on with four or five buddies, you need permission from the owner. People are funny when it comes to detecting/poking around abandoned places. And cops are funny too. I've been stopped by the cops numerous times while detecting places I had permission for. Never a problem, just a hassle. And if I hadn't had permission... who knows how things would've ended up.

At any rate, play it safe and ask before you go. Simple as that. Now as to my old sites around in that area, I can't give those up. ;)

Regards,

Buck

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I lived there for 8 years, and dug quite a few nice things... ;) What I'll say is this: any area you're going to be on with four or five buddies, you need permission from the owner. People are funny when it comes to detecting/poking around abandoned places. And cops are funny too. I've been stopped by the cops numerous times while detecting places I had permission for. Never a problem, just a hassle. And if I hadn't had permission... who knows how things would've ended up.

At any rate, play it safe and ask before you go. Simple as that. Now as to my old sites around in that area, I can't give those up. ;)

Regards,

Buck

Yep!

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I havent been doing to good here lately. I spend hours at the library and nothing new is coming of it... I need a break.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread