Cool find! 1800s jewelers/clock-watch makers embosser?

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! 1800s jeweler's/clock-watch makers embosser?

NJLargeCent and I were at it again in the heat, back to Mount Holly, NJ for 7 hours in the heat and humidity. Not much other than junk, a wheatie, and NJ's TBD Indian, and some other oddities we still have to identify.

However, during the last-hour stretch, I dug deep and deep, and wouldn't let this signal go as it was ringing up $0.25/$0.10 on my Ace 350. Silver maybe?

About a foot down I pulled out this heavy piece of metal. Saw the flat side first and thought, damn. Then flipped it to see a design. After closer inspection it revealed writing, in reverse type! So it's a stamp or embosser of some time for a clock and watch maker named John Mecke. Last night's research found him in a Philadelphia directory from 1839 under silversmiths: Makers: 1839 Philadelphia Directory

See below pics. I reversed one for easier reading.

Anyone know for sure what this is? If not, I'll post on the What Is It forum. I may hit a jeweler later to ask someone there as well. Very nice design, in great shape too.

Full story and cleaned up pics of all our finds to come this week. I'm a tad tired from yesterday!

emboss-front.jpg

emboss-front-reversed.jpg

emboss-side.jpg

Upvote 2

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome piece of history. I am guessing stamp but could be embosser as you stated. Either way that is the type of find that really trips my trigger. I like coins but that is the type of find that makes me wish I could go back in time and walk into his shop. Looks like Dave at First Texas would get to work making one of those time machines for us and we would not have to go around digging all the time. :tongue3:

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx TNGUNS. I agree... this is exactly why I love this hobby. Not only do you never know what you may find, when you find something like this it transports you to another time and place, and turns you into a detective of sorts as you being your journey to ID. I'd love to find the family of John Mecke, but that'll be round two of my discovery.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
granthansen said:
Thx TNGUNS. I agree... this is exactly why I love this hobby. Not only do you never know what you may find, when you find something like this it transports you to another time and place, and turns you into a detective of sorts as you being your journey to ID. I'd love to find the family of John Mecke, but that'll be round two of my discovery.

Very cool. Not all good finds are coins.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that fascinates me the most is the craftsmanship of the time. Can you imagine what must have went into making clocks and watches. The engraving that was done by hand. Probably took many hours to make such a piece. The thought that you have the only one that ever existed and if a replacement was made it would be nearly impossible to replicate the first. Like I said I do love coins, but the unique stuff is the real find for me.:occasion14:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ohhh Mt Holly
I live near there. I see I missed something, oh well, can't find it all!
Great find though:)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what you mean by embosser, but it is a stamp for probably stationery (paper), ie invoices or customer reciepts of work done.

BondJamesBond

Apr 4, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a wonderful find. It is something that would likely not be found in the far west where I live. My quess is that it may be a imprint plate for a newpaper advertisement. The holes in the surrounding metal of the stamp itself gives me belief it may be. Is it made of lead? I know this is a little different than the others have guessed at but, it does have that appearance to me. The engraving is superb sfter all these years. A great find.

Bond

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mr. Bond. I'm going to bring it to a jeweler in a bit in hopes they can help me identify. I'm not sure what metal it is to be honest! I'm hoping to find that out too, and perhaps get it professionally cleaned.

An imprint plate is a good guess! That gives me something else to search for.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I remember years ago I hunted the friends meeting house. I think it's on main street. I also hunted the old jail. I bet if you did it now they would arrest you. I did the hill or mount if you will, too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a huge lead, thank you! I've been searching all day: watch maker's marks, clock maker's mark, hallmarks, etc. One time I got really excited because I saw an image that looked identical to my find -- and it WAS my find! Treasurenet is indexed fast by Google!

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tcim, we were on private property. I'm not ballsy enough to show up places unannounced :)

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been watching this thread and periodically searching for the best answer-way cool find and cool id RodgerDoger.

I'm close by Mt. Holly too-nice area to have permission to hunt. There are a few places near there I have on my list to check out.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a fantastic find. Makes me a bit jealous, honestly. :D But it will look great in a display case. Would be even better to make a display with an original watch paper stamped with it, if it could be found. Of course, you could research the method and type of paper used, and ink it yourself and make a watch paper for the display. :)

Congratulations!

-Buckles

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Tomorrow I'm going to reach out to the National Watch & Clock Museum. Yes, there is one! And it's in PA, where John Mecke is from. I'm hoping they can give me some more info, and maybe they'll want to display it, if it is indeed worthy. Luckily I wasn't dumb enough to take my cleaning further than gentle soap and water, though I was tempted!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
granthansen said:
tcim, we were on private property. I'm not ballsy enough to show up places unannounced :)

Yeah like I said that was years ago times are different now.

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a foot down I pulled out this heavy piece of metal. Saw the flat side first and thought, damn. Then flipped it to see a design. After closer inspection it revealed writing, in reverse type! So it's a stamp or embosser of some time for a clock and watch maker named John Mecke. Last night's research found him in a Philadelphia directory from 1839 under silversmiths
Mr. granthanson you went deep and pulled something historical BANNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread