🥇 BANNER Yesssssssssss!

U

umrgolf

(found out this buckle is a rarity 8, meaning there are 16-30 known)

I have always wanted to dig a CS buckle of any type, and today I was able to cross it off the list!!

I hadn't been out in a couple weeks so I decided to head out this morning for a few hours. I went back to the spot where I found the 1851 Officer's sword belt buckle and sabre guard last month, and not 10 minutes into today's hunt, I found a pulltab LOL. And then, two feet away I scored the buckle. I immediately called a few buddies and was almost so excited I couldn't speak.

Honest to God, when I first dug it I thought it said "08"... I had never seen this style buckle so I knocked off a little dirt off and when I realized what I was looking at, I was absolutely floored. In my area there was VERY LITTLE confederate activity so this is a very significant find. I would almost have to believe this was a battlefield pickup that was carried back by a Union soldier. Unfortunately the loop broke into 2 pieces as I was pulling it from the rock hard dirt. I will be sending it off to get repaired next week!

The buckle was identified by my good friend, Josh (Sentinel) as a LEECH & RIGDON CS tongue produced in Memphis, TN. Thanks for looking!
The last 2 photos are General Nathan Bedford Forrest wearing a tongue and wreath buckle made by the same company :thumbsup:

*buckle was selected for W&E Treasures annual best finds

Attachments

• IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0996_1.JPG
    IMG_0996_1.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0994_1.JPG
    IMG_0994_1.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 139
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg