🥇 BANNER Yesssssssssss!

U

umrgolf

(found out this buckle is a rarity 8, meaning there are 16-30 known)

I have always wanted to dig a CS buckle of any type, and today I was able to cross it off the list!!

I hadn't been out in a couple weeks so I decided to head out this morning for a few hours. I went back to the spot where I found the 1851 Officer's sword belt buckle and sabre guard last month, and not 10 minutes into today's hunt, I found a pulltab LOL. And then, two feet away I scored the buckle. I immediately called a few buddies and was almost so excited I couldn't speak.

Honest to God, when I first dug it I thought it said "08"... I had never seen this style buckle so I knocked off a little dirt off and when I realized what I was looking at, I was absolutely floored. In my area there was VERY LITTLE confederate activity so this is a very significant find. I would almost have to believe this was a battlefield pickup that was carried back by a Union soldier. Unfortunately the loop broke into 2 pieces as I was pulling it from the rock hard dirt. I will be sending it off to get repaired next week!

The buckle was identified by my good friend, Josh (Sentinel) as a LEECH & RIGDON CS tongue produced in Memphis, TN. Thanks for looking!
The last 2 photos are General Nathan Bedford Forrest wearing a tongue and wreath buckle made by the same company :thumbsup:

*buckle was selected for W&E Treasures annual best finds

Attachments

• IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0996_1.JPG
    IMG_0996_1.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0994_1.JPG
    IMG_0994_1.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 139
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg
    LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 240
  • LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest 2.jpg
    LieutenantGeneralNathanBedfordForrest 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Upvote 25

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whhoooaaaaa Jeff buddy congrats that unbelieveable Congrats bud and BANNER

ddaddydigger

Jul 30, 2012
NORTH EAST GEORGIA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
12 INCH SPIDER COIL
6X8 SEF EXCELLERATOR COIL
6 INCH DOUBLE D EXCELLERATOR COIL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find,still waiting for mine...congrats

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! YESSS! That is a GREAT find! Even more so, considering where it was found!

Banner find to me too! This has to be a find of a lifetime considering everything.

Congrats!

HH!

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again buddy!!!
Matt

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find!! I can see why you thought it was "O8". That is a center piece of any good Civil War artifact display frame plus, anything Confederate, (The good guys) is killer! In my opinion, Banner material:icon_thumleft:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bud you found the holy grail! Huge congrats on this accomplishment!!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that called for an underwear change.......to cool for words...congrats.:notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great one to cross off the list an extremely lucky to have all the pieces for an easy fix.

I'd have to think the variety is on the rare side because I don't recall seeing one posted with a closed C like that, but Confederate buckles is not something I pay a lot of attention to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Great one to cross off the list an extremely lucky to have all the pieces for an easy fix.

I'd have to think the variety is on the rare side because I don't recall seeing one posted with a closed C like that, but Confederate buckles is not something I pay a lot of attention to.

A guy over on another forum just posted this photo to my thread. I'm guessing 8 rarity is 8/10, but I have no clue what that equates to in terms of population. Thanks man

By the way, even though I broke it pulling it out of the "concrete", I was extremely fortunate to find the other two pieces of the loop because the area is infested with iron. It took me about 10 minutes to find them.

The thing is SO thinly constructed? They snapped like toothpicks

Attachments

• file.jpg
    file.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy over on another forum just posted this photo to my thread. I'm guessing 8 rarity is 8/10, but I have no clue what that equates to in terms of population. Thanks man

By the way, even though I broke it pulling it out of the "concrete", I was extremely fortunate to find the other two pieces of the loop because the area is infested with iron. It took me about 10 minutes to find them.

The thing is SO thinly constructed? They snapped like toothpicks

If that scale is the same as Colonial coins it's one heck of a rare buckle because a rarity 8 for a CT or Machin's Mills is quite a score.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

If that scale is the same as Colonial coins it's one heck of a rare buckle because a rarity 8 for a CT or Machin's Mills is quite a score.

Oh man, he just replied and said 8 means 16-30 are known :headbang: :headbang:

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why ain't this up top yet? :icon_scratch:

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that is some kind of a killer find. Just think if that buckle to tell you it's story--gotta love this hobby of ours. Good on ya!!Stryker

JohnnyRebCSA

Oct 6, 2010
Tennessee, CSA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266X
Wonderful!!!!! Congratulations. Yes, a Leech and Rigdon is a rare buckle.......and it is from the Taxpayer Revolt of 1861-1865!!

You found that with a Fisher? How deep? Good signal?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread