UNBELIEVABLE !!! 76th Regiment of Foot (McDonalds Highlanders)

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UNBELIEVABLE !!! 76th Regiment of Foot (McDonald's Highlanders)

UPDATE : UNBELIEVABLE! One of my flat buttons is a 76th Regiment of Foot (BRITISH) « on: Today at 04:19:54 PM »

Thought everyone on Treasurenet would appreciate what I dug today. This is the FIRST British button I've ever found AND its coated in silver plate!!!!
smiley-eatdrink004.gif
Just got in and I am soaking wet. The weatherman predicted 50% rain yesterday and it NEVER rained. Today they predicted 40% so I took my chance. Finally got to my spot and after about 2 hrs the rumbling of thunder began and then the sky let loose. It always happens to me like this........and the last find of the day was an eagle cuff button too! Man I didn't want to leave! I parked myself under a big old oak tree but the rain just got worse and worse. Anyway, here are my finds for the 11th of August. The standing liberty quarter was a surprise but I'll take silver anyday! Did get 3 dropped 69 caliber bullets (one is carved). These are my favorite bullets to find. When I was just 16, a couple months after I took up the hobby, I dug 52 of these monsters out of one pit along with a Jefferson Davis hat pin. Those were the days!!! Anyway I think I got 46 bullets altogether and a couple of flat buttons. Got a pile of shotgun shells also..... Hope everyone gets there coil over something good this weekend! UPDATE : One of my flat buttons is a British 76th Regiment of Foot!!! The 76th Regiment of Foot was also known as MacDonald's Highlanders. They arrived in New York in 1779. Winter of 1779 - 1780 in Brooklyn. Winter of 1780-1781 in New York City. Feb 16, 1781, batallions were sent to Virginia. Operations against Lafayette in Virginia. Captured at the fall of Yorktown. This button is an officers pattern, large one piece copper with silvered face and soldered loop shank. Motif of raised Arabic numeral "76" within an oval with a floral garland border. 21.3 mm. Extremely rare. UPDATE : To show what a historical find this is according to records researched by the NPS at Yorktown : the 76th Regiment of Foot was formed in Scotland in 1777. Three hundred and forty-five men were present at the battle and were known as MacDonald's Highlanders. Major Francis Needham was the commander of this group which was disbanded in 1784. 385 men and I was fortunate to locate an OFFICERS button!!! According to another member of My Treasurespot this is the 4th known officer's button dug in Virginia. After their capture they were sent to a POW camp in Winchester, Va. The other known 76th officers buttons were found in Winchester, Berryville, and Fredericksburg Virginia. I knew England had Hessian mercenaries but I never knew they had men from Scotland as well. This is such an amazing hobby we all have! To me there is nothing better than discovering a relic that was last held over 2 centuries agoand is such a revelant part of our history and heritage! The relics I uncover continue to teach me parts of history that I would have never known without their discovery. Thanks for all the nice responses.....I could hardly sleep last night from the rush I had! I will always cherish this button and the memory of finding it! Devonrex

Attachments

• SAM_0329.JPG
    SAM_0329.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 767
  • SAM_0331.JPG
    SAM_0331.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 295
  • SAM_0324.JPG
    SAM_0324.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 322
  • SAM_0321.JPG
    SAM_0321.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 335
  • SAM_0337.JPG
    SAM_0337.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Upvote 7

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FINALLY! With all those French I knew one day you would find a British, and it being an officer button you definitely made it count. That is a great find!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow .....man u rock on the relics. :headbang:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a cool looking Button...............HH..:thumbsup:

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super historical finds great job!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Find :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FINALLY! With all those French I knew one day you would find a British, and it being an officer button you definitely made it count. That is a great find!

I was going to say the same, with it being a Officers it makes it all the better.

You could clean the 'top' of these with a cottonbud soaked in lemon juice. Making sure to rinse under water when done.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool button!!
Congrats!!

Joe

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one BEAUTIFUL button!!! I gotta get out today! Hogge

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you scored some sweet finds. congrats! :icon_thumleft:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to open a museum. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted an update on this rare button above. Apparently this is the only 4th 76th Regiment of Foot button known to have been dug in Virginia!!! Thankyou for all the nice responses!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huge congrats!!!Banner!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread