Construction Site

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near were I live, there has been some massive construction work of clearing a huge field, and they have dug an enormous hole for the foundation of a building. Whenever I had gone past the hole, which is near a street, I thought I saw a lot of glass shards in the hole, I figured since it wasn't very far away from me, I should just take they chance and go down there with my metal detector, see if at one point there was a dump there. Boy am I glad I went! There were just tons of bottles that they had dug up with the backhoe while digging the hole. First find was a 1930's era nail polish bottle! Just sitting there on the ground! More finds included a perfectly undamaged 1943 Coke bottle, and a 1932 Old spice after shave porcelain bottle! Not a single scratch or ding in it! Found a little cooking bowl with my metal detector, a spoon, and a pen nib. Still haven't researched all of the bottles, cant wait to see what other gems I managed to get! And a lot of the glass bottles were melted! Any idea how that could have happened??

Upvote 0

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Dihren said:
.... And a lot of the glass bottles were melted! Any idea how that could have happened??

Guessing the glass was melted in someone's trash burn pile. Must have been a pretty big burn to whip up that kind of heat. Maybe a building burned down there at one time. Did you encounter a ton of trash metal like nails?

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but the top 5 to 10 feet of dirt had been been hauled off after they dug the hole in a dump truck, so any nails probably would have been in that layer of soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread