Semi-key Barber from Miami Fl

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out the 1913 Barber dime that I dug up yesterday is a semi-key date. Too bad it wasn't a 1913-S which is a key date, or a 1913-O. I had only the vaguest idea Barbers existed when I started metal detecting; I never expected to dig a Barber in Miami Fl, probably the youngest major city in the USA. It's a surprise each time I find one, though as this is my 4th since I started metal detecting for silver coins last year, I should be getting used to the idea (2 dimes, a quarter, and a V nickel). I figured out that I have found about one Barber for every 15-20 silver coins of more recent vintage. I haven't found any silver older than a Barber; I figure that's very unlikely in Dade or Broward counties where I hang out.

Doing the research on this coin, I found out the 1897 quarter I found a couple of months ago is also semi-key. Cool.

DSC00092-33.jpg

Upvote 1

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turns out the 1913 Barber dime that I dug up yesterday is a semi-key date. Too bad it wasn't a 1913-S which is a key date, or a 1913-O. I had only the vaguest idea Barbers existed when I started metal detecting; I never expected to dig a Barber in Miami Fl, probably the youngest major city in the USA. It's a surprise each time I find one, though as this is my 4th since I started metal detecting for silver coins last year, I should be getting used to the idea (2 dimes, a quarter, and a V nickel). I figured out that I have found about one Barber for every 15-20 silver coins of more recent vintage. I haven't found any silver older than a Barber; I figure that's very unlikely in Dade or Broward counties where I hang out.

Doing the research on this coin, I found out the 1897 quarter I found a couple of months ago is also semi-key. Cool.

DSC00092-33.jpg

May I ask why is it that a 1913 dime is a semi key ? There were 19,760,000 minted. Good is $2.50
The 1913-O would be rare since they didn't make any.
Congrats on the silver dime

Last edited:
OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, not a semi-key date, sorry, but it seems to be more valuable than you indicate. One seller on eBay called it a scarce better date (see below) and sold a coin in very similar condition to mine (probably just slightly worse) for a total of $6. ALL recently completed sales on eBay, were for well above $2.50, even for coins much worse than mine here, which might qualify as "good." Cointracker is a website I like, it seems to be very realistic on calling the values of coins close to the ebay values. It values a 1913 in poor condition at around $3. The cheapest sale I saw on eBay for a poor coin was about $3.50 (including shipping).

1913 LIBERTY HEAD (BARBER) DIME | eBay

1913- BARBER DIME- SCARCE BETTER DATE !! #D7014 | eBay

quite right about the 1913-O. Let's just say everyone should watch out for the 1895-O!

Last edited:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, not a semi-key date, sorry, but it seems to be more valuable than you indicate. One seller on eBay called it a scarce better date (see below) and sold a coin in very similar condition to mine (probably just slightly worse) for a total of $6. ALL recently completed sales on eBay, were for well above $2.50, even for coins much worse than mine here, which might qualify as "good." Cointracker is a website I like, it seems to be very realistic on calling the values of coins close to the ebay values. It values a 1913 in poor condition at around $3. The cheapest sale I saw on eBay for a poor coin was about $3.50 (including shipping).

1913 LIBERTY HEAD (BARBER) DIME | eBay

1913- BARBER DIME- SCARCE BETTER DATE !! #D7014 | eBay

quite right about the 1913-O. Let's just say everyone should watch out for the 1895-O!

I found an 1895 Fine to VF a couple years ago...it's worth about 250 to 300

Buy a Red Book you can pick up a 2011 for $5.00 on ebay. Then you have prices at your finger tips.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats on the barber. I'd be shocked to find a barber in Florida! I know they are here...just rarely see them.

cra61

Jul 9, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2+
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking to find old silver it would be best to be searching places like middle Osceola County and Imperial Polk County since they were heavily settled by Civil War Veterans from the North (Osceola at least) and well, Imperial Polk speaks for itself.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the barber. I'd be shocked to find a barber in Florida! I know they are here...just rarely see them.

Oh I was shocked at the first one, and the quarter much more! Now, though, I'm entertaining the thought of finding a half down here...someday...over the rainbow.

OP
OP
scaupus

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking to find old silver it would be best to be searching places like middle Osceola County and Imperial Polk County since they were heavily settled by Civil War Veterans from the North (Osceola at least) and well, Imperial Polk speaks for itself.

In Florida...I would like to hit Jacksonville, 2nd would be Pensacola.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread