First Silver metal detecting!

dblick

May 25, 2011
Wilkes Barre, PA
I have been metal detecting for about a year and have found alot of clad. Recently, I have been hunting an area in Schuylkill County Pa where my grandmother grew up. The old farmhouse was recently knocked down. I have found several wheats ranging from 1910 and 1945. I knew there was silver there but never any luck. Well, yesterday, it was around 845 and almost dark and I got a great signal. I dug and out popped the coin. I couldnt find in the dirt as it was so dark. Finally I found it and cleaned it with water. I was surprised to find my first Silver, 1907 Barber dime.

I am definately going back to hunt this area again and I know there is more!

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 2

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Super find man,looks like Grannies place is the place to hunt,Cherry Pick,then go back and clean up,don't forget under the bushes,heck,crawl in there,found some cool stuff under them bushes!Don't leave anyground untouched,grid when you can. That dime Thrills me and I've found a few. NICE FIRST!!! God Bless Chris

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a fantastic first silver! congrats :icon_thumleft:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG! Nice 1st silver!

DiggingNC

Apr 23, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett ProPointer, SunRay Pro Gold Headphones. Previousdetectors were White's, Garrett's and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great 1st silver!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow i want 1! lol silver is highly addictive :occasion14:ones you have a taste your hooked :happy3:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! Way to go! Keep at it and there will be many more. :icon_thumleft:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice silver!, im dying for a barber, only found 4 mercs and 2 rosies so far in my 2 months of detecting

jbornholdt

Aug 13, 2012
dblick said:
I have been metal detecting for about a year and have found alot of clad. Recently, I have been hunting an area in Schuylkill County Pa where my grandmother grew up. The old farmhouse was recently knocked down. I have found several wheats ranging from 1910 and 1945. I knew there was silver there but never any luck. Well, yesterday, it was around 845 and almost dark and I got a great signal. I dug and out popped the coin. I couldnt find in the dirt as it was so dark. Finally I found it and cleaned it with water. I was surprised to find my first Silver, 1907 Barber dime.

I am definately going back to hunt this area again and I know there is more!

I am from long island but usually head up into the Catskills to fish. I'm thinking of buying a metal detector trying out some spots. Do you know of any off hand that might be worth traveling to?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread