From a B-24 crash site sout Italy

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some fragments from a B-24 crash site in south Italy. Some idea about fragments and some infos about crew? Thanks!

B-24 40236 (376th BG, 513th BS) shot down by Fw. Heinrich Steis in Bf 109G-6 of JG 27/4. near Potenza, Italy Jul 16, 1943.
6 KIA, 4 POW. MACR 184

Fragments:

dvc01335.jpg

dvc01330.jpg

dvc01331.jpg

dvc01332.jpg

dvc01333.jpg

dvc01334.jpg

Upvote 3

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don R. Willey, 0-664357
Came from Brookings County, South Dakota
Source: Brookings County, South Dakota
Another Source: Fallen Son & Daughters Profiles (includes his picture)
Don R. Willey was born on October 29, 1920, in Brookings, South Dakota, to Lloyd and Pearl Willey. He graduated from Brookings High School and attended State College. He left college to join in the Royal Canadian Air Force in June of 1941.
Don R. Willey was trained by the Royal Canadian Air Force. He was later transferred to the United States Army Air Corps on May 26, 1942. He was a First Lieutenant in the Air Corps when sent over seas where he was a member of the 513[SUP]th[/SUP] Bombing Squadron. He was then sent to the Middle East area.
First Lieutenant Willey died in a plane crash when shot down over the Middle East area on July 16, 1943. His plane was at high altitude when attacked and was seen to be smoking and losing altitude. The plane was seen to crash, and it was first presumed that most of the crew was lost, and was later presumed all crew had died. He was buried in the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery in Nettuno, Italy.
Willey’s commanding officer Fredrick W. Nesbilt Jr. wrote to his parents, β€œYour son was a member of this organization for four months and was respected and liked by all who came in contact with him. My entire command joins with me in extending to you our heartfelt sympathy at this time.”
Don R. Willey was proudly awarded the Purple Heart on July 16, 1943. He also received the Air Medal for his honor and bravery in the war.
Willey was an honorable soldier who fought in the war to better the lives of others. He fought bravely and was a true example of the American soldier. He loved, honored, and protected his country with his life.

This entry was respectfully submitted by Clay Peltier, James Wagner, and Ann Van Roekel, 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Grade, Brandon Valley Middle School, Brandon, South Dakota, April 12, 2002. Information for this entry was provided by Grace Linn, as obtained from the Brookings Register, August 1943.
:​

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Military Aviation Incidient Reports can be acquired through this site. For example, they have Willey's name in their data bank. You may also wish to inquire if they have any further information regarding next of kin, etc. for each of those KIAs or survivors on your list.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][email protected][/FONT]​

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm getting closer to finding a relative of Don Ray Willey. Here's an inquiry I found dated eight years ago. She wrote:
I am searching for the children of my grandmothers sister Pearl. Pearl married Lloyd Willey at O'Brien County, IA about 1920. Pearl and Lloyd were living in Brookings City, Brookings, SD with the following children.

Donald Willey age 9 - birth should be about 1921(this man grew up to be one of the crewmembers)
Euna Fay Willey age 4 1/2 - birth should be about 1925
Jack Lee Willey age 2 months
All three children were born in South Dakota.
I would guess that their births were at Brookings City.
Can anyone help me find this lost branch of the family.
Thank you,
Carol
I now have an old Email address for "Carol" and we'll soon see if I get a response.
I'll let you know.
Don.........

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful work! Many thanks!!!

I'm getting closer to finding a relative of Don Ray Willey. Here's an inquiry I found dated eight years ago. She wrote:
I am searching for the children of my grandmothers sister Pearl. Pearl married Lloyd Willey at O'Brien County, IA about 1920. Pearl and Lloyd were living in Brookings City, Brookings, SD with the following children.

Donald Willey age 9 - birth should be about 1921(this man grew up to be one of the crewmembers)
Euna Fay Willey age 4 1/2 - birth should be about 1925
Jack Lee Willey age 2 months
All three children were born in South Dakota.
I would guess that their births were at Brookings City.
Can anyone help me find this lost branch of the family.
Thank you,
Carol
I now have an old Email address for "Carol" and we'll soon see if I get a response.
I'll let you know.
Don.........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unfortunately, that researcher, Carol, passed away a few years ago. Fortunately, however, another researcher (one year after Carol's plea) responded saying Don Willey had a younger sister, Euna Fay Willey and a younger brother, Jack Lee Willy. Jack, now age about 83 may still be alive. I have a lead on him for El Paso, Texas.

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Mackaydon. You can give to relative our web site www.1943salerno.it and our e-mail [email protected] to contact us.
Again thanks!

Unfortunately, that researcher, Carol, passed away a few years ago. Fortunately, however, another researcher (one year after Carol's plea) responded saying Don Willey had a younger sister, Euna Fay Willey and a younger brother, Jack Lee Willy. Jack, now age about 83 may still be alive. I have a lead on him for El Paso, Texas.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo,
I’m faced with a moral and ethical dilemma:
While I am pleasantly challenged to find survivors and heirs of lost servicemen and return service (β€˜dog’) tags, I can also see the possible negative consequence of disclosing and returning these particular finds. It’s one thing to find and return an article with a name on it or an article that can be positively shown to be from a particular person. It’s another thing to return artifacts to the survivor or heir that do not belong to the survivor or lost one; especially, under the circumstances of these finds.
My concern is that returning any of these artifacts (parts of the crashed plane in which many crew members died) to survivors or heirs has the potential to open old wounds of bad memoriesβ€”and would not assist in the β€˜closure’ process. On the other hand, if your artifacts could be ID-ed as coming from a particular crew memberβ€”and that article returned to him or his next of kin (heir), I can see that contributing to β€˜closure’.
Based on the above, I’ve decided to push back from continuing to find these survivors/heirs. However, if you do find objects that can be shown to have come from a particular GI, I’ll be pleased to assist you with finding that hero or his/her heir.
Having said that, I would still suggest you contact the archivist associated with this particular group; they may have a museum for such artifacts where the story of these heroes can be retold.
With respect,
Don…

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Don
thanks for your opinion. I respect but I not understand it.
1) We are always sure before to ask to contact relatives that aircraft and the crew is really the crash site we find. If we have any doubt we ask not to contact relatives.
2) In many years of work I contacted several relatives with personal items of their beloved ones or simply fragments of aircraft where their beloved flyed. We always do all this freely and no ask 1 cent. We always received answer with very positive comments.
3) We have our small museum here in Salerno and our site to retold story of airmen of crash site we find.
Just for example see here: WWII airman's family receives surprise pieces of history - Houston Chronicle
With respect.
Matteo.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo,
No doubt you and your group are performing an admirable service; and that is why I have expended time and effort in attempting to assist you. My 'push back' is for the reason I have explained; it's just a personal issue with me and should not be taken as a negative reflection on your good works.
All the best,
Don........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo,
I've had second thoughts: I'll let the survivor or his heirs (not me) determine if they want parts of the crashed aircraft their loved one either survived or didn't. Moving forward, regarding DZIERZYNSKI, EDWARD T., he is buried in a New Britain cemetery (Section 6, Lot 21). He was born on Jan. 23, 1916 and died, in New Britain, Connecticut, on April 19, 1966. He was married to Pauline. They lived at 96 Armistice St., New Britain. At that time, the area was built-up with housing for soldiers and their families. Since then, the area has deteriorated (so I've been told). Pauline's maiden name was Sideranko (a good Polish name). Later in life, Pauline married Henry Anthony Wojtowicz, also of New Britain. I have been unable to find any children listed from the marriage of Edward and Pauline. Ancestry.com may have more information on any of these crash-site names, but I refuse to pay to see the information.

As a suggestion for artifacts you have found but are unable to find survivors or heirs, you might consider sending the artifacts and a map (with the story and pics of the other artifacts--maybe even the area where the wreck was discovered) to the local American Foreign Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars post nearest his residence or the town where he enlisted.
All the best,
Don.....

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks. Some news from Jack?

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matteo,
I've had second thoughts: I'll let the survivor or his heirs (not me) determine if they want parts of the crashed aircraft their loved one either survived or didn't. Moving forward, regarding DZIERZYNSKI, EDWARD T., he is buried in a New Britain cemetery (Section 6, Lot 21). He was born on Jan. 23, 1916 and died, in New Britain, Connecticut, on April 19, 1966. He was married to Pauline. They lived at 96 Armistice St., New Britain. At that time, the area was built-up with housing for soldiers and their families. Since then, the area has deteriorated (so I've been told). Pauline's maiden name was Sideranko (a good Polish name). Later in life, Pauline married Henry Anthony Wojtowicz, also of New Britain. I have been unable to find any children listed from the marriage of Edward and Pauline. Ancestry.com may have more information on any of these crash-site names, but I refuse to pay to see the information.

As a suggestion for artifacts you have found but are unable to find survivors or heirs, you might consider sending the artifacts and a map (with the story and pics of the other artifacts--maybe even the area where the wreck was discovered) to the local American Foreign Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars post nearest his residence or the town where he enlisted.
All the best,
Don.....

As always you do a good work. Your suggestion is useful but probelm is that we often find crash site where are several men in the crew. Send to every American Foreign Legion or Veteran of Foreign Wars fragments and map will be very expensive for our association. We do all our work freely but we have small fund therefore we prefer publish our findings in our site and in forum like this hoping someone of relatives can contact us (or someone like you want help us to contact) and we are always glad to send they some artifacts if they want. Again many thanks!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo,
I understand completely.
I'll go back to your list and concentrate on those airmen who survived the crash--and see if any of them are still alive.
I commend you for the honorable work you are doing.
Don....

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matteo,
I understand completely.
I'll go back to your list and concentrate on those airmen who survived the crash--and see if any of them are still alive.
I commend you for the honorable work you are doing.
Don....
Hi Don and Matteo .. one thing I have to say .. Anyone who has lost a loved one in the line of duty commend you BOTH :notworthy: Thanks for caring guys , CMDdawg :occasion14: Salute !!!

OP
OP
Matteo La Boccia

Matteo La Boccia

Apr 21, 2007
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don. No, I not yet write to these 2 sources because I want ask informations also for 2 other B-24 crews. Do you want ask directly? I'll be thankful because my english is poor and I can be misunderstand.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Matteo, not a problem; I'll contact them.

Good news !
This AM, I talked to Jack Lee Willey, the brother of Don Rey Willey (KIA). He said he was not interested but that response can also be expected based on the number of scammers who are active today. I experienced this same response when attempting to return a dog tag. But by providing additional information, the recipient gradually accepted what I was offering. What I've done is this case is to write to this brother a letter explaining what 'we' have and the circumstances of discovery. If I don't get an answer back within ten days, I'll drop the effort; meanwhile, I'll continue to attempt to find the last one or two survivors-or their next of kin.
Matteo, tra l'altro, il tuo inglese va bene!
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread