DETECTING DOWN AN OLD ABANDONED RAILROAD BED - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DETECTING DOWN AN OLD ABANDONED RAILROAD BED

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    402 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Most scrap yards in my area dnt look in the beds u get on the scales, unload, get back on and get ur money. I be taking a wagon to get all I could out lol

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    457 times
    Here in north ga. they will not except it. Says it still belongs to the railroad co. They and the railroad consider it theft. jmho, but you better check it out I'd hate to see you get arrested for just trying to scrap junk iron........Good luck and let us know how it turns out, BTW I used to live in Walhalla S.C. Done alot of rock hunting in your area....................HH

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9938 times
    Good points on the scrap yards. Depends on where your at I guess.

us
    Anita

Apr 2012
    New Hampshire & Maine
    V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
    348 times
    Anyone know if abandoned tracks or rail beds are still RR property? I'd be very, very careful of hunting along them. Railroad companies do prosecute. You will be fined, lose your detector and everything you find. The railroads NEVER lose. I know we've had the RR discussion here before, RR owns tracks, buildings and 25-50 feet on either side of tracks. They grant "permission" for people to cross at specified crossings, otherwise, stay off their property. Up here in New England there is a rails to trails movement for turning defunct RR tracks into trails for horseback riding, snowmobiles, ATVs, biking, etc. The one here in my town is maintained by the recreation committee and a local snowmobile club and is no longer considered RR property. (Haven't hunted it yet, but plan to when the weather gets cooler).

Just be careful...ignorance of the law is no defense.

Welcome to TNet and HH (Happy Hunting).
    Anita
    "You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach". - Jim Steinman (musician)
    You can bet he never used a metal detector!!!

us
    Jun 2012
    Northeast PA
    Minelab Etrac Garrett Propointer Garrett Propointer-AT Sampson T handle shovel
    10928 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I know in my area railbeds are off limits. there is actually a railroad police truck that patrols the railbed. But weve had alot of scrap theft from the trainyard and railbeds. Our crackheads do anything for a fix around here, they were even breaking into flooded out houses and stealing all the copper pipes n wiring out of them, yeah we have a high class crackhead population. I think scrapyards should be more observant of their clientele, and what their bringing in.
    Honest Samuel likes this.

Jul 2010
    22 times
    OMG! Your back must be made of some of that steel and iron! Now you may have to put it back! My back is killing me just thinking about it. HH

us
    Joe S

Aug 2012
    North Carolina
    Fisher CZ-3D, Garrett Pro Probe
    3 times
    This railroad bed is no longer owned by a railroad company. The center of the bed actually marks the dividing line between residential properties. The owners of the property where I have detected have given me permission to remove whatever I wish. My intention is not to sell the metal for scrap. I've been thinking of making a walkway of tie plates that extends from my house to my workshop about fifty feet away. With what I already have, I may have enough tie plates to complete the job.
    Honest Samuel likes this.

Jul 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    180 times
    Like AC1955 mentioned, old track beds are being turned into rails-to-trails in some places. Takes funding and a lot of research for the trail developers. Ownership is many times a sticking point for trail developers. Google "rails-to-trails" and then look for clubs in your area. They may actually be working on getting that old track bed purchased or donated. Possibly you could volunteer to help clear up the scrap. Nails and bike tires never get along.

By the way, yes ... those tie date nails are keepers. Collectors are interested. Just like old glass or ceramic insulators, which you may find along the right of way. I sold my insulator collection several years ago. It was getting out of hand.

One more thing which was already noted ... If you can spot the location of RR work sheds, you will hit a bonanza of metal trash. Possibly lantern parts, locks, ID tags with the stamped name of the RR, etc..

Keep us informed on your progress. We are a nosy bunch. <lol>

M

us
    Joe S

Aug 2012
    North Carolina
    Fisher CZ-3D, Garrett Pro Probe
    3 times
    You're right MKnTenn about my back. It's about a 100 yard hike to my car from the railbed. I can just barely carry four tie plates at a time for that distance. The next morning after a day of lugging the iron, I can feel it when I get out of bed. My back has suffered from herniated discs three times in the past but right now it feels pretty good. My wife tells me that I'm a crazy 76 year old man. But it's so much fun!!!

us
    Sep 2007
    wakeman, ohio
    J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
    51 times
    Shipwrecks
    I have some railroad iron from lake erie, it had a train that ran just out in the lake during the late 1800's. the only thing I have with a date is the track connectors. neat finds and thank you for sharing.
    them that dive will be the lucky ones !!

us
    real pirate

May 2011
    NE Ohio
    Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
    200 times

us
    May 2012
    Virginia
    MXT, AT Pro
    315 times
    We have to show ID when we take scrap to the scrap yard, they photo copy and such.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    212 times
    Coinshooting
    I found exactly the same kind of things in an area I hunt. I was going to keep them and sell for scrap but I was told that railroad metal isn't accepted because it was railroad property.
    Why do they call it "Taking a dump" when you're actually leaving one?

us
    N8dawg

Jun 2019
    West Michigan
    Garrett ACE 200 Probe
    How long did this take you to find all of these relics?

I'm Currently working on the Pere merequette railroad and the Indiana, Chicago, Detroit, Railroad.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    4339 times
    # 1. The land has long been abandoned by all railroad companies. You should sell these items to collectors. Also search for single coins and bottoms. You are in the right location to search for for buried treasures buried by the Rebels running from us Damn Yankee. Welcome to our great website.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links