cz3djoe

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D, Garrett Pro Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just joined and this is my first post. I've been detecting an old abandoned railroad bed near my home in North Carolina. The railroad was used from before the Civil War until in the 1970's. All of the track and ties are gone and to look at the bed, all overgrown with trees and bushes, you wouldn't think there would be much to find. I've detected about 100 yards of the railroad bed and have found more metal than I can carry back to my car. The strange thing is, the track hardware (mostly base plates) appear in clusters about 20 feet apart down the bed. Most are burried less than six inches and I use a pick to get down through the gravel. I'm using a Fisher CZ3D detector on all metal mode. Right now I'm only digging the iron signals. Most of the base plates and all of the date nails have dates on them. The fish plates, track stabilizers, and spikes don't.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 310
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 406
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 409
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 456
Upvote 2
OP
OP
C

cz3djoe

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This railroad bed is no longer owned by a railroad company. The center of the bed actually marks the dividing line between residential properties. The owners of the property where I have detected have given me permission to remove whatever I wish. My intention is not to sell the metal for scrap. I've been thinking of making a walkway of tie plates that extends from my house to my workshop about fifty feet away. With what I already have, I may have enough tie plates to complete the job.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Like AC1955 mentioned, old track beds are being turned into rails-to-trails in some places. Takes funding and a lot of research for the trail developers. Ownership is many times a sticking point for trail developers. Google "rails-to-trails" and then look for clubs in your area. They may actually be working on getting that old track bed purchased or donated. Possibly you could volunteer to help clear up the scrap. Nails and bike tires never get along.

By the way, yes ... those tie date nails are keepers. Collectors are interested. Just like old glass or ceramic insulators, which you may find along the right of way. I sold my insulator collection several years ago. It was getting out of hand.

One more thing which was already noted ... If you can spot the location of RR work sheds, you will hit a bonanza of metal trash. Possibly lantern parts, locks, ID tags with the stamped name of the RR, etc..

Keep us informed on your progress. We are a nosy bunch. <lol>

M

OP
OP
C

cz3djoe

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right MKnTenn about my back. It's about a 100 yard hike to my car from the railbed. I can just barely carry four tie plates at a time for that distance. The next morning after a day of lugging the iron, I can feel it when I get out of bed. My back has suffered from herniated discs three times in the past but right now it feels pretty good. My wife tells me that I'm a crazy 76 year old man. But it's so much fun!!!

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have some railroad iron from lake erie, it had a train that ran just out in the lake during the late 1800's. the only thing I have with a date is the track connectors. neat finds and thank you for sharing.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have to show ID when we take scrap to the scrap yard, they photo copy and such.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I found exactly the same kind of things in an area I hunt. I was going to keep them and sell for scrap but I was told that railroad metal isn't accepted because it was railroad property.

n8dawg1

Jun 23, 2019
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 200
Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long did this take you to find all of these relics?

I'm Currently working on the Pere merequette railroad and the Indiana, Chicago, Detroit, Railroad.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 1. The land has long been abandoned by all railroad companies. You should sell these items to collectors. Also search for single coins and bottoms. You are in the right location to search for for buried treasures buried by the Rebels running from us Damn Yankee. Welcome to our great website.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread