cz3djoe

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D, Garrett Pro Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just joined and this is my first post. I've been detecting an old abandoned railroad bed near my home in North Carolina. The railroad was used from before the Civil War until in the 1970's. All of the track and ties are gone and to look at the bed, all overgrown with trees and bushes, you wouldn't think there would be much to find. I've detected about 100 yards of the railroad bed and have found more metal than I can carry back to my car. The strange thing is, the track hardware (mostly base plates) appear in clusters about 20 feet apart down the bed. Most are burried less than six inches and I use a pick to get down through the gravel. I'm using a Fisher CZ3D detector on all metal mode. Right now I'm only digging the iron signals. Most of the base plates and all of the date nails have dates on them. The fish plates, track stabilizers, and spikes don't.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 411
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 383
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 2

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real treasure will be when you find tools they used. I have found numerous tools along abandoned grades.

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool. Maybe you will find some RR padlocks or luggage tags etc... Maybe a CW relic!

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you find any large corrugated nails? Every tie had them driven in the end grain to slow splitting. Corrugated nails are all over the place on an abandoned track that I walked several years ago.

M

Last edited:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too like the dated nails. Can you find out where the stations, depots and water towers were located? If so, I would focus on those areas.

Good luck

NJ

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Price of scrape I'd be taking all that home

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are excelent finds. I have never,that I can remember, seen dated RR spikes. My dad worked for the Great Northers for 40+ years. I saw lots of spikes. As for scrap value, I do not know the going rate for scrap Iron/Steel. Again as a boy that is one of the ways that we made our spending money. That was to collect scrap metal. That included copper and Iron. We also went on bottle hunts looking to find Soda bottles .03 for regular size soda .05 for quart Soda. Stubby beer .01 or quart beer .03 bottles. Had to haul a lot of bottles to make much. However a snickers bar was only .05. It all adds up if you save it. HHHH

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrap here is almost 12 dollars a hundred pounds. Nice finds, love those dated nails.

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds so far. I love hunting abandoned railroads. Keep it up, you are on the right Track!

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
There is a pretty good market for those dated nails... They have R&R swap meets around the nation and those are big selling items. Congrats

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check with your scrapyard first using only one piece of "rail-road" iron...with the surge in illegal scrap scrounging, some yards will call the law if they get in a recognizable hunk-O-iron; rail plates/spikes, manhole covers, light poles, mailboxes, etc...just saying...you may have to do some 'xplainin about how you came up with all that RR iron with permission, from the current landowner, in writing....which you do have, right, right?
Good luck on your heavy metal recovery..

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most scrap yards in my area dnt look in the beds u get on the scales, unload, get back on and get ur money. I be taking a wagon to get all I could out lol

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in north ga. they will not except it. Says it still belongs to the railroad co. They and the railroad consider it theft. jmho, but you better check it out I'd hate to see you get arrested for just trying to scrap junk iron........Good luck and let us know how it turns out, BTW I used to live in Walhalla S.C. Done alot of rock hunting in your area....................HH

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know if abandoned tracks or rail beds are still RR property? I'd be very, very careful of hunting along them. Railroad companies do prosecute. You will be fined, lose your detector and everything you find. The railroads NEVER lose. I know we've had the RR discussion here before, RR owns tracks, buildings and 25-50 feet on either side of tracks. They grant "permission" for people to cross at specified crossings, otherwise, stay off their property. Up here in New England there is a rails to trails movement for turning defunct RR tracks into trails for horseback riding, snowmobiles, ATVs, biking, etc. The one here in my town is maintained by the recreation committee and a local snowmobile club and is no longer considered RR property. (Haven't hunted it yet, but plan to when the weather gets cooler).

Just be careful...ignorance of the law is no defense.

Welcome to TNet and HH (Happy Hunting).
Anita

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know in my area railbeds are off limits. there is actually a railroad police truck that patrols the railbed. But weve had alot of scrap theft from the trainyard and railbeds. Our crackheads do anything for a fix around here, they were even breaking into flooded out houses and stealing all the copper pipes n wiring out of them, yeah we have a high class crackhead population. I think scrapyards should be more observant of their clientele, and what their bringing in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread