Collided Civil War bullets! Plus a new video..

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a great day on the water yesterday. Found a few things, got wet, and shot a video of it all.

Here is an overall shot of the days finds...

P8170053.JPG

This is may favorite find. It is two Civil War pistol bullets that have fused together after firing. You can clearly see the bullet track through the bottom bullet.

P8170005.JPG

I also found another Crow's Foot battery. These were placed in a jar with a chemical solution and the reaction between the metal and the liquid generated enough electricity to power telegraphs.

P8170007.JPG

Talk about one thin dime!

P8170021.JPG

This was a favorite find. It's a link that was used to hold two train cars together back in the day. A person would have to drop pins through the end and into a hitch. They say you could tell how long a person had been working on the railroad by how many fingers this hitching system had smashed completely off! The government actually made the railroad go from this system to the self locking ones we have today because these links and pins caused so many amputations.

P8170017.JPG

Here is a beaver slide where they are going up the bank and getting corn stalks to patch their dam. They also eat the corn ears.

P8160009.JPG

And the beaver "stick and corn" dam...

P8160015.JPG

One last shot of me. It rained very hard for a few hours and I had to leave because the creek began to flood...

P8170038.JPG

Plus I caught all of this on video. Here it is if you care to indulge..

Upvote 4
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That link is a very good find. Have you ever found any pins to go with it.

I didn't know what the links and pins were until I recently visited the B&O railroad museum in Baltimore. Sadly, I have found many links and pins over the years and kept only one pin and it's not in very good shape. But, I do remember where I found some of them and I'm going back to see if I can find them again. Unfortunately, there is so much iron at those spots, you almost have to eyeball them. Probably will hit one spot today if the creek isn't still murky.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
You are killing me by posting these great finds. Congratulations. I may be PM'ing you about a trade someday...

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Very entertaining Beau. The colided bullets are an excellent find. I had not thought of them as previously lodged in wood, however that makes sense. Keep the videos coming.
-Evan

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really cool bullet collision. Would you be willing to sell it.. thanks

JDug

Aug 15, 2012
Frederick Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's V3I , Minelab CTX 3030 , Cibola, Deus, ATPro, GPX 5000. 4800, 4500, & 3500.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome as usual. It will be cool to meet the legend on Tuesday at the South Mountain Relic & Coin Club.

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always enjoy watching your videos. I learn something new each time I watch also. I have hunted streams and rivers before and become easily frustrated before. Feels like when I get a tone I still have to dig a good bit to find the object. It is easier near bedrock though. From a fellow Marylander congrats on your finds.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those fused bullets are just amazing. Looking at the way they are fused I have to wonder if they were fired from the same side and at the very near same time and hit while in flight. One catching up with the other? :icon_scratch: Very very cool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread