PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Here is another find of mine. It didnt happen today but I was organizing some TH information and it seemed like it was worth sharing.

Truly, I have no idea for any value on this find.

I hope you enjoyed hearing about it.

Patrick
------
The brazos river runs through Texas. It is filled with caves, cracks and crevices along it's cliff ridden shores.

One of my TH buddies and I were exploring the brazos cliffs in the general vicinity of Palo Pinto Texas. We were walking alongside the cliff base as it jutted along the woods. I turned around talking to my buddy when I saw a thin crevice barely large enough for an adult to squeeze through. It was dark inside.

I pulled out a machete and a metal detector. I sqquueeezzzzzzzed into the crevice as it curved into the cliff side. The crevice went back about twenty feet before it opened into a larger room. The room was not huge. It was maybe fifteen feet tall and somewhere around ten X ten.

The wall on the left side of this room did not quite connect with the floor. A large crevice ran the length of the room about an inch or two tall separating the floor and wall.

It was summer and I was very cognizant of the fact that I was in rattlesnake territory. I knew I wanted to look into the crevice but also knew I was risking disturbing a reptile rest.

Mustering up my courage, I got on my hands and knees and lowered my head to the floor shining my flashlight into the crevice. It went back into the wall for several feet.

I ran the flashlight beam along the crevice and the light illuminated a small alcove slightly larger than a football in size. The light beam illuminated shadows and shapes as I slowly panned the light.

My eyes grew wide and my pulse quickened as the light beam lit up a row of teeth and the outline of an overturned skull. After gathering my senses, I closely examined the time-bleached skull and saw that it was that of an animal.

I retrieved the skull and shared photos with a university who identified the animal as a type of mountain goat that had not been in the area for over a hundred years.

skull.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were no stone artifacts in that cave. I looked for any cave writings and petroglyphs. There were none.

I did find a stone artifact in another cave. It was a small black stone carved with two snakes. I traced it back to the Luis Moscoso expedition.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with all the exotic animals in Texas,I am sure it wouldnt be out of the ordinary to find anything!Is this some type of extinct animal?It doesnt look like any North American Mtn Goat

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kuger,

I don't think it is extinct. It may be. The curvature of the horns is a little unusual as well.

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note, I couldn't figure out how the skull got in the cave in the first place. It must have been pulled in by some scavenger.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note, I couldn't figure out how the skull got in the cave in the first place. It must have been pulled in by some scavenger.

Could have been,but goats are very curious by nature and love to climb!Could have got in too far,and became stuck,or possibly fell in from above?

I once found a Bighorn sheep skull(now extinct from that area)in a cave on a ledge

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Kuger,

There was no entrance from above. I can see the curiosity factor though. The entrance is a tight crevice that opens into two chambers. The skull was found in the first chamber. The angle of the skull in the alcove was upside down and horns first. I just figured some animal dragged the bones into the crevice.

Your bighorn sheep skull find sounds really cool as well. There is no telling what caves hold. It is always an adventure.

Patrick

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!I wasnt thinking before I guess...if the critter had fell,or had walked in there under its own power there likely would have been other bones!!

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, it could have happened that way.

Maybe a curious mountain goat got into the crevice, stuck its head in the alcove and got stuck. Then, wild animals dragged the rest of the bones away.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to play around the Brazos when I lived in College Station. A very neat river and one full of cotton mouths. I am sure there are many artifacts and fossils there. We have found a few ancient bones of the tigers and cave bears deep in caves. I still have an eye tooth from a cave bear. Very interesting well written read.
Thank you.
HH
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions