Bingham School Button: Anyone Recognize the Backmark?

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, I have dug lots and lots of these buttons in North Carolina. Here is a tough one. I know that this button came from the Confederate, Bingham School and is older than 1891(year of school close). Can anyone tell me a little more about the manufacturer of the button and an approximate age? The others I have dug have Scovill backmarks which are easy to identify. This one just has stars. Neat button though!8-)

Here is something extra and fun for you guys:

First person to guess what site I found this button at wins a "thataboy"

Attachments

• bsbutton.jpg
    bsbutton.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 1

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad, can't help you on the button ID but I like it. I found the very same size/style button a while back that had "HS" on it from the Horner Military School in Hillsboro. Must have been a popular style cuff button.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to remember the maker for the circle of stars and for the life of me I can't find it in my backmark book now. Rich Quality used a circle of stars on early 1-piece buttons, but I know that is not it. If I remember it was a Scovil mark for cuff buttons, but I can not swear by it. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that the button is 1875+. That is the late style for the Bingham School buttons, and the loop and construction style fits that mold as well.

Still always cool to dig them.
@ ScrewyNewy, I dug a Horner School button as well.

Dan

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use to remember the maker for the circle of stars and for the life of me I can't find it in my backmark book now. Rich Quality used a circle of stars on early 1-piece buttons, but I know that is not it. If I remember it was a Scovil mark for cuff buttons, but I can not swear by it. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that the button is 1875+. That is the late style for the Bingham School buttons, and the loop and construction style fits that mold as well.

Still always cool to dig them.
@ ScrewyNewy, I dug a Horner School button as well.

Dan

Dan, at this time we are unsure of the dates on the different types of "BS" Buttons. I can say that i have dug 60+ Bingham Coat buttons. Of those, a third are block font letters. Most of the "script" style letters are civil war era, earlier, or post war. All of the block lettered buttons are either post civil war or contemporaneous. Your backmark source doesnt have any info on this odd backmark? I am not disagreeing with you on the date approximation, i just want to see it or have someone confirm it. Thanks Dan!

@Screwy, i loved that hillsboro horner button. Great find!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, at this time we are unsure of the dates on the different types of "BS" Buttons. I can say that i have dug 60+ Bingham Coat buttons. Of those, a third are block font letters. Most of the "script" style letters are civil war era, earlier, or post war. All of the block lettered buttons are either post civil war or contemporaneous. Your backmark source doesnt have any info on this odd backmark? I am not disagreeing with you on the date approximation, i just want to see it or have someone confirm it. Thanks Dan!

@Screwy, i loved that hillsboro horner button. Great find!

I understand the topic very well of bingham school buttons. I have never seen a block letter staff come from a camp, but I have seen the script buttons come from them (with period backmarks). I even have a script BS from the front yard of General Grimes's house (with an 1850's bm). Though I cannot say with absolutely certainty but the construction of that button (loop size, back construction) is common amongst those of the 1870's and later. I will see if I can dig up the backmark info, cuff buttons at times have odd backmarks, plus there could always be a local manufacturer. Sometimes the backmark (though important) can be omitted to button construction.

Here are two other nice Hillsboro area buttons I actually just posted this picture on another forum for an ID on the early buckle dug at the same site. The one piece HMA is about as good as it gets. Thought with this topic you guys would enjoy seeing them.

HH

Dan
pile4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand the topic very well of bingham school buttons. I have never seen a block letter staff come from a camp, but I have seen the script buttons come from them (with period backmarks). I even have a script BS from the front yard of General Grimes's house (with an 1950's bm). Though I cannot say with absolutely certainty but the construction of that button (loop size, back construction) is common amongst those of the 1870's and later. I will see if I can dig up the backmark info, cuff buttons at times have odd backmarks, plus there could always be a local manufacturer. Sometimes the backmark (though important) can be omitted to button construction.

Here are two other nice Hillsboro area buttons I actually just posted this picture on another forum for an ID on the early buckle dug at the same site. The one piece HMA is about as good as it gets. Thought with this topic you guys would enjoy seeing them.

HH

Dan
View attachment 666793

Dan i must admit my severe jealousy of that HMA button. That tops my most wanted relic. Congrats on that beauty.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan i must admit my severe jealousy of that HMA button. That tops my most wanted relic. Congrats on that beauty.

Well i can say I am a bit jealous of 60 BS buttons. That must make for a nice display of history through the years, regarless of pre, period, or post war backmarks. Post them on up at some point, would love to see them.

Dan

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMAG0693.jpg You have no idea how much work it was to get all these! I had alot of fun doing it! I have about 12 Bingham Confederate plates as well.

Last edited:

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 666879 You have no idea how much work it was to get all these! I had alot of fun doing it! I have about 12 Bingham Confederate plates as well.

Ok, so now I am officially jealous. I do enjoy the NC school buttons (even the ones that are post war i.e. Davis School, Horner, etc.) I would love to see the plates. Shoot me an email when you get a chance [email protected] I lived in NC until last year when I took a job here in VA. Spent my life from an early age digging in eastern NC. Even lived in Raleigh for a spell and did quite a bit of digging there.

Dan

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The plates are really not that exciting, they are just concave brass clip corner thin brass plates like used by the Confederacy. There were sash buckles and belt plates, I have some of both. I am glad that you like the buttons. I sent you an email.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread