Bingham School Button: Anyone Recognize the Backmark?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FoundInNC

Thread: Bingham School Button: Anyone Recognize the Backmark?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Momma Said I Was Born To Dig.

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
    530 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)

Bingham School Button: Anyone Recognize the Backmark?

Hey guys, I have dug lots and lots of these buttons in North Carolina. Here is a tough one. I know that this button came from the Confederate, Bingham School and is older than 1891(year of school close). Can anyone tell me a little more about the manufacturer of the button and an approximate age? The others I have dug have Scovill backmarks which are easy to identify. This one just has stars. Neat button though!

Here is something extra and fun for you guys:

First person to guess what site I found this button at wins a "thataboy"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bsbutton.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	666673  
    Garrett424 likes this.

us
    May 2011
    North Carolina
    Equinox 800 Teknetics T2 SE Teknetics G2+
    1027 times
    Colonial Period
    Brad, can't help you on the button ID but I like it. I found the very same size/style button a while back that had "HS" on it from the Horner Military School in Hillsboro. Must have been a popular style cuff button.
    XP ORX
    Teknetics T2 SE w/ DST

Best Coin Finds -
    Cob - Charles II 1/2R (1665-1697)
    1672 Hammered Morrocan Silver Mizuna (Pirate Treasure)
    Cut Pistareen Philip V (1717-1737)
    1722 1 Real
    Mexico 1739-Mo MF real

1781 Spanish 1/2 Real
    1877 Silver Trade Dollar (My Avatar)
    1621 Hammered Bronze
    Valencia, Philip IV (dug two)
    1732 KG II Half Penny
    1752 Spanish 1/4 Real

I use to remember the maker for the circle of stars and for the life of me I can't find it in my backmark book now. Rich Quality used a circle of stars on early 1-piece buttons, but I know that is not it. If I remember it was a Scovil mark for cuff buttons, but I can not swear by it. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that the button is 1875+. That is the late style for the Bingham School buttons, and the loop and construction style fits that mold as well.

Still always cool to dig them.
    @ ScrewyNewy, I dug a Horner School button as well.

Dan

us

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    530 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGuardDan View Post
    I use to remember the maker for the circle of stars and for the life of me I can't find it in my backmark book now. Rich Quality used a circle of stars on early 1-piece buttons, but I know that is not it. If I remember it was a Scovil mark for cuff buttons, but I can not swear by it. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that the button is 1875+. That is the late style for the Bingham School buttons, and the loop and construction style fits that mold as well.

Still always cool to dig them.
    @ ScrewyNewy, I dug a Horner School button as well.

Dan
    Dan, at this time we are unsure of the dates on the different types of "BS" Buttons. I can say that i have dug 60+ Bingham Coat buttons. Of those, a third are block font letters. Most of the "script" style letters are civil war era, earlier, or post war. All of the block lettered buttons are either post civil war or contemporaneous. Your backmark source doesnt have any info on this odd backmark? I am not disagreeing with you on the date approximation, i just want to see it or have someone confirm it. Thanks Dan!

@Screwy, i loved that hillsboro horner button. Great find!

Quote Originally Posted by FoundInNC View Post
    Dan, at this time we are unsure of the dates on the different types of "BS" Buttons. I can say that i have dug 60+ Bingham Coat buttons. Of those, a third are block font letters. Most of the "script" style letters are civil war era, earlier, or post war. All of the block lettered buttons are either post civil war or contemporaneous. Your backmark source doesnt have any info on this odd backmark? I am not disagreeing with you on the date approximation, i just want to see it or have someone confirm it. Thanks Dan!

@Screwy, i loved that hillsboro horner button. Great find!
    I understand the topic very well of bingham school buttons. I have never seen a block letter staff come from a camp, but I have seen the script buttons come from them (with period backmarks). I even have a script BS from the front yard of General Grimes's house (with an 1850's bm). Though I cannot say with absolutely certainty but the construction of that button (loop size, back construction) is common amongst those of the 1870's and later. I will see if I can dig up the backmark info, cuff buttons at times have odd backmarks, plus there could always be a local manufacturer. Sometimes the backmark (though important) can be omitted to button construction.

Here are two other nice Hillsboro area buttons I actually just posted this picture on another forum for an ID on the early buckle dug at the same site. The one piece HMA is about as good as it gets. Thought with this topic you guys would enjoy seeing them.

HH

Dan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pile4.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	666793
    Last edited by HomeGuardDan; Aug 23, 2012 at 07:25 AM.

us

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    530 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGuardDan View Post
    I understand the topic very well of bingham school buttons. I have never seen a block letter staff come from a camp, but I have seen the script buttons come from them (with period backmarks). I even have a script BS from the front yard of General Grimes's house (with an 1950's bm). Though I cannot say with absolutely certainty but the construction of that button (loop size, back construction) is common amongst those of the 1870's and later. I will see if I can dig up the backmark info, cuff buttons at times have odd backmarks, plus there could always be a local manufacturer. Sometimes the backmark (though important) can be omitted to button construction.

Here are two other nice Hillsboro area buttons I actually just posted this picture on another forum for an ID on the early buckle dug at the same site. The one piece HMA is about as good as it gets. Thought with this topic you guys would enjoy seeing them.

HH

Dan

Name:	pile4.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	666793
    Dan i must admit my severe jealousy of that HMA button. That tops my most wanted relic. Congrats on that beauty.

Dan i must admit my severe jealousy of that HMA button. That tops my most wanted relic. Congrats on that beauty.
    Well i can say I am a bit jealous of 60 BS buttons. That must make for a nice display of history through the years, regarless of pre, period, or post war backmarks. Post them on up at some point, would love to see them.

Dan

us

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    530 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)

Name:	IMAG0693.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	616.2 KB 
ID:	666879You have no idea how much work it was to get all these! I had alot of fun doing it! I have about 12 Bingham Confederate plates as well.
    Last edited by FoundInNC; Aug 23, 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Name:	IMAG0693.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	616.2 KB 
ID:	666879You have no idea how much work it was to get all these! I had alot of fun doing it! I have about 12 Bingham Confederate plates as well.
    Ok, so now I am officially jealous. I do enjoy the NC school buttons (even the ones that are post war i.e. Davis School, Horner, etc.) I would love to see the plates. Shoot me an email when you get a chance dhfrezza@wm.edu I lived in NC until last year when I took a job here in VA. Spent my life from an early age digging in eastern NC. Even lived in Raleigh for a spell and did quite a bit of digging there.

Dan

us

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    530 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    The plates are really not that exciting, they are just concave brass clip corner thin brass plates like used by the Confederacy. There were sash buckles and belt plates, I have some of both. I am glad that you like the buttons. I sent you an email.

us
    Dec 2011
    Western Territories
    XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
    479 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    You could try this guy and see if he has any info:

Civil war buttons,antique buttons,revolutionary war buttons,confederate buttons.

BTW, I found a TS (Trinity School) button near Grimesland before I headed back to Utah.

PB
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BulletsandButtons

https://www.instagram.com/bulletsandbuttons/

Please respect the research and permissions of others...
    Seriously...

us
    Mar 2012
    Greenville, NC
    DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
    47 times
    Relic Hunting
    Attachment 1051339Attachment 1051340

Ok Bingham School diggers, have you seen a non dug example??
    I see this BM is 1860-70's, have you dug this BM? I've seen this listed as wartime as well as postwar. All help is greatly appreciated.
    Chris Carroll
    BA History NCWC
    nchistory@Hotmail.com

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links