🥇 BANNER Found an awesome coin spill today

U

umrgolf

Found an awesome coin spill today (Video added)

(I've posted close-ups of all the coins in reply 65 per hogge's request. Turns out, the 1843 has a die crack on the reverse known as the "Lightning Bolt")

I was gonna wait to post this til tomorrow because I haven't even started putting the video together yet :laughing7: Anyway, today I returned to the site where I found the CS tongue and continued my search for the wreath, and certainly didn't expect this.

I was in a little corner about 70 yards from the spot where the CS buckle came from and my first target was the brass ring seen in the first photo. The next signal, about 2 feet away, was bouncing around like a bullet. I dug down about 7 inches and was surprised to see a nice 1857 seated dime come out of the bottom. So I got back up and starting scanning the immediate area and 5 feet away, BAM a signal banging on 88!! Before digging it, I scanned a little more to satisfy my curiousity and BAM, another signal hitting around 88!! So I dug that second signal first and at around 7 inches (again) it turned out to be a dateless Carolus IIII 2 reales. I went back to the previous signal and dug it out, also at 7 inches, and it was the 1856-O half dollar. So after all the excitement of the first three coins, I scanned the small area once more to find no more obvious signals and began expanding outwards. About 15 feet from the half dollar signal I got a very weak bullet-like signal very similar to the first dime. I dug it out at yet again 7 inches and it turned out to be an 1858 halfdime. Another three feet from that signal, BAM another high 80's signal at 7 inches that turned out to be the 1843 quarter. And last but not least, I went back over to the area where I found the first three and got a very IRONY blip and found the last coin, an 1857 quarter at about a foot deep.

If you did read the last sentence, it gives me very good reason to believe there are more coins to be found at this spot. Thanks for looking.

-Jeff

Sorry this video took so long! I tried to upload it to youtube twice yesterday and finally got it on round 3 :laughing9:

1858 halfdime
1857 dime
1843 quarter
1857 quarter
dateless Carolus IIII 2 reales
1856-O half dollar

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 738
Last edited:
Upvote 31
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Wow! I can't believe it, you didn't scratch even one of them!

Actually, I did. if you look at about 10'o'clock on the rim of the half dollar, I shaved off a nice hunk of silver with my digger.. The picture of them in my hand you'll see what I mean. The ding is so bad it makes a shadow :laughing9:

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks all for the nice replies and banners. I don't think I'm allowed to have two on at the same time. That's cool though, I just had to share this with everybody. No sense in waiting for 2 weeks just to try for banner.
laughing7.gif

Is it just me or are those coins incredible condition for being dug?

They do come out of this spot in amazing condition. That soil is strange, it fries the brass but the silver comes out great.

Here's an 1861 quarter I found at the same site about 4 months ago, almost mint aside from a gash I put right through the shield and the rust spot at 11'o'clock on the reverse from leaning on a square nail.

Attachments

• IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!!!!

I'm thinking 5 seated and a reale have to be on the banner ...Congratulations..

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Jeff you got my banner vote. Great coin spill. The stuff dreams are made of!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great coin spill you found there. It might be good to bring a sifter next time you go out and take off the first 8 inches of soil, sift it and then hit the hole again with the MD. I am sure there is a seated 20 cent piece there waiting for you to complete the set.
Banner find all day long.
ZDD

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good digging there, It's this kind of post that gives us hope for all to have a good hunt.

And for that I thank you sir!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those coins are all BANNER finds in my book, Awesome hunt.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW WOW WOW!!! What a spot. I wish I could find even one seated. I have watched 2 found but never found my own. This collection in one area is definately banner worthy!

I hope you find a bunch more to add to your collection when you go back.

HH

Tenspeed

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Incredible find Jeff. You have been killing it with Seated coins this year. Good luck next hunt.
_Evan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess your coil would get the "on fire" rating these days. I'd definitely keep at it because there very well might be a third great find left to dig.

Don't see much clearer evidence than that to show how late Spanish silver circulated. Proves that even if people don't have sites older than mid. 1800s they can still dig some reales.

Last edited:

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Wow what an awesome haul! Must have been all lost around 1857!

I managed to scratch my last three seated coins - two dimes and a quarter. Surprising that the silver roosies never get a scratch tho haha.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely stunning! Way to go.

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread