Line and Circle Petroglyph Found in North Carolina

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the help of one Treasurenet's members I now know that this "stone" IS something of great historical importance. I have the "fever" now! (again). I am very excited to learn as much as I can about this find once the survey has taken place and the experts have examined it for themselves.

Attachments

• Family Pictures (1).jpg
    Family Pictures (1).jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 858
Last edited:
Upvote 1

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
woodjc2001 said:
While trying to get everyone together at the same time to get someone that actually knows what they are looking at Ive ben scrtching my head trying to figure out what the symbol is/means. The "All Seeing Eye", its does look similiar but again I dont know. And as for a land marker.. Maybe? Ive been burning up Google trying to identify anything of the sort and so far I cant explain it. Does anyone have any ideas or maybe a web-site link that could help? And this IS a long shot and Im no doubt going to get some laughs at this one but could it have anything to do with the Knights Templar? Just eliminating possibilties here guys..lol

Why only one picture? Surely you must have more. Show them please.

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woodjc2001 said:
could it have anything to do with the Knights Templar?

I suppose they could have needed to make some soap too...

Seriously, did you read the links provided?

Did you google "lye leaching stone"?

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is this thing?

Context is important, or at least the next step in figuring it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason for only one picture"ticm" is because my cousin and myyself were finishing up a camping trip when the camera that we (which had most of the pictures) had went swimming to the bottom of a lake on our way back with the only other picture from a cell phone which is what you are looking at on this thread. I know its a crummy picture and being the only one is not helping with identifying and/or helping gather information on it. For that I appoligize, however I plan on re-visiting the site very soon to gather alot more in-depth photos of both the stone and the area. im going to treat the area as if Im Reconing it for the Corps again lol. just without the M4 and gillie suites this time.:laughing7: ...

OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck.. it is just outside of the uwharrie national forest in NC. its on private property and is very romote. I have full permissions to be on the property as I please so thats not going to be a problem. There are no creeks within roughly 500 yards, the terrain is fairly rough with alot of steep hills and rocks. The rocks by the way still seem to have been removed from a 20'-30' area and are also nothing like the one the stone is made of. the surrounding rocks are both small to very large and mostly quartz and granite. Im not sure what type of rock this stone is made of but it just looks nothing like the native ones lying around. I have not disturbed the ground around or under the stone, I'll leave that to Mr.Bramlettand the other experts. When all of this takes place I will be sure to post any and all of the infromation as well as answer any qeustions on the matter. Thanks to everyone for your help so far.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody,

Here's a link to the NGS web site for North Carolina:
NCDENR - NC Geodetic Monuments

That lists the NGS survey monuments, but of course wouldn't list another kind. I does give you an idea what's out there though.

BixbyTreasure

Mar 8, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that I've seen this same stone posted either elsewhere on this forum or on another. I am fairly certain it was here though...maybe treasure in the news or treasure stories?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that I've seen this same stone posted either elsewhere on this forum or on another. I am fairly certain it was here though...maybe treasure in the news or treasure stories?

Knights Templar Plots Magazine? :laughing7:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing that comes to mind is Water Glyphs made by natives. But you have plenty of water there, no need for a trail marker. I agree to not disturb the marker. Also a cell phone records location information and I doubt it will be there when you go back. Never take pictures with a cell phone if you looking at Glyphs, unless you want to share.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like I remember another post like this also. I will try searching. Without a decent picture imaginations love to run wild.

OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Also a cell phone records location information and I doubt it will be there when you go back. Never take pictures with a cell phone if you looking at Glyphs, unless you want to share. "

This stone is deeply set onto private property and the property is not easy to access and the owner keeps dog sthat roam the property. So its fairly safe. But Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also since Ive posted this on TNF it shows up the first picture on a Google Image search for "cirlcel and line petroglyph".. Ive been using such images and information as a cross referance so to speak..:icon_scratch: ...
I plan on going back this weekend unless my planes gets changed..I have 2 year old twin boys and a 4 year old boy so nothing is ever " in stone" parden the pun..:laughing7: ...

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Its a survey marker. Leave it where it is.

OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose they could have needed to make some soap too...

Seriously, did you read the links provided?

Did you google "lye leaching stone"?

YES!! I did read them.... I asked for help and to simply share my find.. if these are the comments that I get on this matter then maybe I should take my find else where..?

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You asked for help, several others answered and you don't even acknowledge their efforts on your behalf. Glad to hear you read the links, you now know what you have found.

By the way, you can take whatever you want, wherever you want to take it. It matters not to me, we are only trying to help you.

OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay,,, I have given my thanks to ALL that has helped me. And NO, I don not know
EXACTLY what it is I have... I will not get into a pissing contest with you or anyone else that "LIKES" your sarcastic comments.. and when the the heck did this turn into some sort of "he's the new guy and he doesent have a college degrree so lets bash him" thread.. GEEZ I only came here, and joined this site because It seemed like everyone was down to earth people, and maybe... just maybe I might enjoy my time chatting back and forth with. Maybe I was wrong..?..

You asked for help, several others answered and you don't even acknowledge their efforts on your behalf. Glad to hear you read the links, you now know what you have found.

By the way, you can take whatever you want, wherever you want to take it. It matters not to me, we are only trying to help you.

U

umrgolf

okay,,, I have given my thanks to ALL that has helped me. And NO, I don not know
EXACTLY what it is I have... I will not get into a pissing contest with you or anyone else that "LIKES" your sarcastic comments.. and when the the heck did this turn into some sort of "he's the new guy and he doesent have a college degrree so lets bash him" thread.. GEEZ I only came here, and joined this site because It seemed like everyone was down to earth people, and maybe... just maybe I might enjoy my time chatting back and forth with. Maybe I was wrong..?..

Who's bashing you? They're trying to help you I.D. the stone. You're wanting people to take you seriously after you asked if its associated with the Knights Templar. You put an "lol" after you wrote it, so what's wrong with people making jokes about it? You being a new guy on the forum or not having a college degree has nothing to do with anything that's been said or done in this thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread