Family Pictures (1).jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 858
Last edited:
Upvote 1

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Did you just stumble upon it, or were you searching for it?

OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, my cousin and myself tripped over it.. but i always have my eyes open for things like this. I seemed to have a nack for running across things like this. Its like Christmas for me when I do.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What exactly is it and why is it historically significant? Can you please explain? Thanks.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
woodjc2001 said:
With the help of one Treasurenet's members I now know that this "stone" IS something of great historical importance. I have the "fever" now! (again). I am very excited to learn as much as I can about this find once the survey has taken place and the experts have examined it for themselves.

Well you showed a picture of it. That's a start. Sense you gave no other description and only one picture kinda far away, how do you expect any one to help you?
Did you look under it?
I guess what I really want to know is are you serious with this post?

Last edited:

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot remember where I saw it, but these stones are a type of "drain stone". I cannot remember what is being drained, or by whom, but the groove around the outside and the center design all channel the liquid to the spout on the right side in the picture.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time that fat lighter wood was put under a cast iron kettle, turned upside down over the pile. Then wood was heaped up over the kettle and set on fire. This cause the "tar", pine pitch actually, in the wood to be heated to the point it would run out on a flat surface with grooves in it and to be collected to use for various purposes. The product was known as pine tar. Used in medicine, human and animal and a number of other uses.

Since NC is the Tar Heel State, from the pine tar that was rendered here I wonder if that is what arapahoscout has in mind.

The poster gives no size information, or location information, nor what the "great historical importance" is, where it is located, even generally. So I don't think there is anything to get excited about with this post.

It also could be some kind of survey marker. The line across it being a surveyed location of a line, like state line, or early colonial line marker perhaps. There is no mumbo jumbo dark deep significance of this stone, the answer is going to be a simple one. If it isn't a hoax.

OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a hoax? really. Look guys, I havent had alot of free time to go back to the site and collect better pictures and so on. I have been in contact with some people that devote pretty much all thier time to researching these things and but since Ive had little spare time...Ive had less contact, hince I have had limited feedback, information on the details. So far Ive been told that its a "Line and Cirlce Petroglyph" I am in the U.S. Marine Corps and I have I much better things to do with the time than posting some sort of hoax or joke as you may think. I will however keep as much updated infromation about this find as I get it, after I can meet with the survey team and the S.C. Rock and Art Surveying Teams. At the same time I am waiting on a reply Tom Charles, which has a book published called " Discovering South Carolinas Rock Art". I came to this site in hopes of getting some help on this matter "which I have and I very much appreciate-you know who you are-" and to share my find with you guys... not to be criticized and have my integrity challenged. I hope this does not offend anyone and that in the near future I can share more detailed information on this stone. Thanks.

Last edited:

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and thanks gwdigger that is a great link. We were replying at the same time.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no doubt it is a Petroglyph. A Petroglyph is a rock with some kind of marking on it. That's what it is for sure.

The link that gwdigger has posted is the answer of what it be.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting piece of 'industrial' art (my name for it), not seen one before.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a stone monument set by a land surveyor; a rather important one actually.

I'd ask the county surveyor, or if they don't have those in NC, a local one.

These things cost thousands of dollars to set, and they will not endear you to land owners if they are disturbed. Most places it is illegal to disturb them and there is no treasure under them.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like "The All-Seeing Eye" carved on the stone.

You caught us flat - footed. We're out to subvert the world by protecting your private property boundaries! :laughing7:

OP
OP
W

woodjc2001

Greenie
Aug 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While trying to get everyone together at the same time to get someone that actually knows what they are looking at Ive ben scrtching my head trying to figure out what the symbol is/means. The "All Seeing Eye", its does look similiar but again I dont know. And as for a land marker.. Maybe? Ive been burning up Google trying to identify anything of the sort and so far I cant explain it. Does anyone have any ideas or maybe a web-site link that could help? And this IS a long shot and Im no doubt going to get some laughs at this one but could it have anything to do with the Knights Templar? Just eliminating possibilties here guys..lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread