Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a local park yesterday evening, started digging a target then realized very quickly I was digging in a fire ant nest. So all I got out of yesterdays hunt is a swollen hand ... (and a crap load of trash & pull tabs)

Upvote 6

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first encounter with fire ants was at my sisters house in Florida. It was my first to Florida and I went outside barefoot and was standing in the yard looking around and my feet started stinging real bad. I looked down and my feet were covered with those little devils. It was a very painful trip for me. We have them here in Tennessee now and theres a bunch of them in my yard. Locals think they were brought up here in bags of mulch and they are taking over pretty quick. I don't like the little devils and I've caused many of them to have a very bad day too, lol. I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That is really interesting... I have personally seen where ants have used cape emeralds, garnets, diamonds and other gemstones on thier mound piles in southern Wyoming. It is speculated that they use them to "armor" thier mounds. I have also heard of emerald hunters looking for emeralds on ant mounds to figure out where a good area would be to dig for the emeralds.
Who would have had of thunk ants would lead to treasure,just another miracle of HIM. God Bless Chris

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ow, ow, ow! I don't believe we have any fire ants in northern New England (yet) - they sound nasty! Don't want them up here.

Worldtalker - you're right, pissed off yellow jackets or hornets is New England's equivalent to pissed off fire ants!

Anita

BixbyTreasure

Mar 8, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, It seems ants like to build their nests where there is already something in the ground. I have experienced this several times.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
wait to you meet a "cow killer ant" -- which is really a type of wingless "ground" wasp - their not called "cow killers" for nothing -- the flying type of in the ground nesting wasp are another nasty critter that metal detectorist run across , for some reason the signal sent out by a metal detectors coil seems to drive them crazy --so if possible if swarmed shut off your machine or drop it and run away a safe distance --return for it after the wasp lose interest --might be a while.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
wait to you meet a "cow killer ant" -- which is really a type of wingless "ground" wasp - their not called "cow killers" for nothing -- the flying type of ground nesting wasp are another nasty critter that metal detectorist run across , for some reason the signal sent out by a metal detectors coil seems to drive them crazy --so if possible if swarmed shut off your machine or drop it and run away a safe distance --return for it after the wasp lose interest --might be a while.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
wait to you meet a "cow killer ant" -- which is really a type of wingless "ground" wasp - their not called "cow killers" for nothing -- the flying type of ground nesting wasp are another nasty critter that metal detectorist run across , for some reason the signal sent out by a metal detectors coil seems to drive them crazy --so if possible if swarmed shut off your machine or drop it and run away a safe distance --return for it after the wasp lose interest --might be a while.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is odd how many times I get a signal in an ant bed or under dog crap. :BangHead:

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
wait to you meet a "cow killer ant" -- which is really a type of wingless "ground" wasp - their not called "cow killers" for nothing -- the flying type of ground nesting wasp are another nasty critter that metal detectorist run across , for some reason the signal sent out by a metal detectors coil seems to drive them crazy --so if possible if swarmed shut off your machine or drop it and run away a safe distance --return for it after the wasp lose interest --might be a while.

Is this the critter you're talking about? A velvet ant I saw In my yard the other day.

image-2462015719.png

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
I believe your velvet ant is called a " cow killer".....it is actually a wasp or hornet type critter that does not have wings.....on a side note....their sting packs a punch. Later all

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmm can someone post a pic of one? i never seen one! Hope your bites get better soon though. I HATE Yellow jackets,and ticks here ,also some horse flys. Dang insects!!! Mind your own beesness!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fire ants called that because of 2 reasons --#1 if they sting you--you feel like your on fire --and #2 the best way to get rid of em is to pour a bit of gas on their nest and let it soak in for a bit (to get the flammible fumes deep within the nest )and then its --flame on time --die die die you stinking ants -- once at night i walked out to my car to get my detector out and did not know i had parked next to HUGE ant nest -- first thing i knew I was bit from ankle to knees on both legs by over 100 ants (counted the bite marks later on)-- i had so much ant venom in me that by the time i got to my house door I was shaking like a leaf *(think I was going into shock) thank god the wife had both benydril pills and calimine lotion with benydril she gave me pills and rubbed both my legs down with lotion --most likely saved my life . --I could not go out like that -- well how did he die?---oh a ant bite killed him.

And now you are the new super hero of your town known as ANT MAN!?

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever noticed fire ants following you after your coil swings over them?
Lately I have noticed them literally following me soon after swinging my coil over them.
Get stung about twice a month, hate them too...

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go pour a box of dry grits on the ant hill. It'll take a few days but it'll wipe them out. The ants eat the dry grit, it expands in their gut and POP no more ant. they take them to the queen too so it'll actually wipe out the entire colony for good.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a local park yesterday evening, started digging a target then realized very quickly I was digging in a fire ant nest. So all I got out of yesterdays hunt is a swollen hand ... (and a crap load of trash & pull tabs)

I deal with them when relic hunting too--have gotten bitten and blistered, but the relic rewards were greater. I use to use a sure-fire cure to rid them from my yard. I nuke their nests with a whopping big firecracker. I would place the cracker in the main tunnel, light it and run. Presto--an ant hill becomes a crater--few survivors scattered far and wide, and are never the same again.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate those little black ants. The shoes I wear are not completely enclosed so my toes show and those little guys love my toes. I got bumps on my feet rite now.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the hand. Try cucumber peels they work and you can dig the target in a week!!!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
A can of starting fluid (ether) works wonders!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
velvet ants and cow killers are one in the same --its not a ant at all but a type of wingless wasp with a very very bad sting

Sandytoes

Apr 15, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are fire ants in my yard in Midcoast Maine. They're everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread