Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: I Found Fire Ants

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Started detecting sep.2010

Jan 2007
    Mass
    Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
    358 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hmmmm can someone post a pic of one? i never seen one! Hope your bites get better soon though. I HATE Yellow jackets,and ticks here ,also some horse flys. Dang insects!!! Mind your own beesness!

us
    Nov 2011
    Charles Town, WV
    Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
    1328 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis View Post
    fire ants called that because of 2 reasons --#1 if they sting you--you feel like your on fire --and #2 the best way to get rid of em is to pour a bit of gas on their nest and let it soak in for a bit (to get the flammible fumes deep within the nest )and then its --flame on time --die die die you stinking ants -- once at night i walked out to my car to get my detector out and did not know i had parked next to HUGE ant nest -- first thing i knew I was bit from ankle to knees on both legs by over 100 ants (counted the bite marks later on)-- i had so much ant venom in me that by the time i got to my house door I was shaking like a leaf *(think I was going into shock) thank god the wife had both benydril pills and calimine lotion with benydril she gave me pills and rubbed both my legs down with lotion --most likely saved my life . --I could not go out like that -- well how did he die?---oh a ant bite killed him.
    And now you are the new super hero of your town known as ANT MAN!?
    "Life's a garden. DIG IT!!!" - - Joe Dirt

us
    Feb 2008
    New Mexico
    Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
    64 times
    Has anyone ever noticed fire ants following you after your coil swings over them?
    Lately I have noticed them literally following me soon after swinging my coil over them.
    Get stung about twice a month, hate them too...
    As always...Love Silver...but going for the Gold!

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3127 times
    Go pour a box of dry grits on the ant hill. It'll take a few days but it'll wipe them out. The ants eat the dry grit, it expands in their gut and POP no more ant. they take them to the queen too so it'll actually wipe out the entire colony for good.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    May 2012
    Florida
    Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
    176 times
    Water Hunting; Beachcombing; Relic Hunting; Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by mangum View Post
    Went to a local park yesterday evening, started digging a target then realized very quickly I was digging in a fire ant nest. So all I got out of yesterdays hunt is a swollen hand ... (and a crap load of trash & pull tabs)
    I deal with them when relic hunting too--have gotten bitten and blistered, but the relic rewards were greater. I use to use a sure-fire cure to rid them from my yard. I nuke their nests with a whopping big firecracker. I would place the cracker in the main tunnel, light it and run. Presto--an ant hill becomes a crater--few survivors scattered far and wide, and are never the same again.

us
    I collect Artifacts and Vintage Collectibles and Rocks.

Aug 2012
    South
    Coin Finder
    8219 times
    I hate those little black ants. The shoes I wear are not completely enclosed so my toes show and those little guys love my toes. I got bumps on my feet rite now.
    Personal finds were on private property which I have permission to hunt.
    Best bug repellent I have ever used bugband.net check it out.

us
    cooper36

Nov 2011
    east coast
    194 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mangum View Post
    Went to a local park yesterday evening, started digging a target then realized very quickly I was digging in a fire ant nest. So all I got out of yesterdays hunt is a swollen hand ... (and a crap load of trash & pull tabs)
    Sorry about the hand. Try cucumber peels they work and you can dig the target in a week!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    4531 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    A can of starting fluid (ether) works wonders!
    It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3221 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    velvet ants and cow killers are one in the same --its not a ant at all but a type of wingless wasp with a very very bad sting
    A2coins likes this.

Apr 2016
    Maine
    Whites Prizm
    19 times
    There are fire ants in my yard in Midcoast Maine. They're everywhere.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2017
    Northern Virginia
    AT MAX/AT PRO/Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche diggers, and the custom made Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
    2191 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    OUCH! All those critters out there can make for a miserable day, if we all were golfers instead of detectorists we would probably throw in the towel but the lure of treasure is greater than the lure of a hole in one!

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    2663 times
    All my best finds were found under fire ant hills and Doggie doo. Now...combining both gives you the holy grail of finds! a must dig scenario.
    Dig till you drop!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links