Upvote 6

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do Fire Ants seem to always build their nest next to a good target????

Fire Ants are a every day occurrence in the woods, pastures, parks, road right a ways, and yards around here.

In between work and play, I get stung by ants every week.:BangHead:

Another good reason to wear gloves.

Oh yea, I HATE fire ants!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OW! OUCH! OW! OW! OUCH! CRAP! OUCH! ??? Darn ANTS! Hope your hand gets to feeling better. Out here in Mt. I usually check out the red ant hills for fossils (star crinoids, and trade beads, and have found a few. The ants either collect them or remove them from their burrows and place them on their mounds. Possibily the smalls little rocks insulate or warm up the nest below, not certain. Better Luck next time!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
mangum said:
Went to a local park yesterday evening, started digging a target then realized very quickly I was digging in a fire ant nest. So all I got out of yesterdays hunt is a swollen hand ... (and a crap load of trash & pull tabs)

Noting much worse then a bunch of pissed off fire ants.

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of leprechauns guarding a pot of gold. Over here we have annoying yellow jackets (wasps). I got stung two weeks ago :< but hey am going back there again. There were some nice readings coming back from the detector.
We're not crazy , we are detectorists.
Good luck out there

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With Fire Ants you just need to follow the instructions...One bottle of rubbing alcohol + one match = fire ants are really fire ants...

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are enjoyng the MXT Pro Josh. Sorry about the fire ants. John and I both found them when we were hunting Saturday (at least I got a silver ring with what I hope are diamonds). They do hurt and seem to be everywhere now.

Keep at it and the silver will come. Got number 93 yesterday in a 64 Roosevelt.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
fire ants called that because of 2 reasons --#1 if they sting you--you feel like your on fire --and #2 the best way to get rid of em is to pour a bit of gas on their nest and let it soak in for a bit (to get the flammible fumes deep within the nest )and then its --flame on time --die die die you stinking ants -- once at night i walked out to my car to get my detector out and did not know i had parked next to HUGE ant nest -- first thing i knew I was bit from ankle to knees on both legs by over 100 ants (counted the bite marks later on)-- i had so much ant venom in me that by the time i got to my house door I was shaking like a leaf *(think I was going into shock) thank god the wife had both benydril pills and calimine lotion with benydril she gave me pills and rubbed both my legs down with lotion --most likely saved my life . --I could not go out like that -- well how did he die?---oh a ant bite killed him.

Last edited:

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
OW! OUCH! OW! OW! OUCH! CRAP! OUCH! ??? Darn ANTS! Hope your hand gets to feeling better. Out here in Mt. I usually check out the red ant hills for fossils (star crinoids, and trade beads, and have found a few. The ants either collect them or remove them from their burrows and place them on their mounds. Possibily the smalls little rocks insulate or warm up the nest below, not certain. Better Luck next time!

I can't remember for sure if it's in Az or NM, but a lot of people collect garnets from the ant hills. Great lookin' stones if you can find them.

Bill

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bad luck... I hate the tiny critters with a passion.

We've only had a problem w/ fire ants in the QC for about 10 years now, but they've completely taken over some areas.

Best advice is to watch for the mounds, but if stung anything mildly acidic like vinegar will help if applied immediately (their venom is alkaline)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a local park yesterday evening, started digging a target then realized very quickly I was digging in a fire ant nest. So all I got out of yesterdays hunt is a swollen hand ... (and a crap load of trash & pull tabs)

Fire ants gotta eat too.

But, we don't HAVE to offer ourselves up on the menu. LOL

My sympathies.

HH!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got bit four times two weeks ago and the welts are just going away now. It was a good hunt and glad you could join me. Would have missed my gold chain of we had gone to my first choice site.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are enjoyng the MXT Pro Josh. Sorry about the fire ants. John and I both found them when we were hunting Saturday (at least I got a silver ring with what I hope are diamonds). They do hurt and seem to be everywhere now.

Keep at it and the silver will come. Got number 93 yesterday in a 64 Roosevelt.
Hardy, I am enjoying it, ready to do some relic hunting soon too!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, when I moved down south I had no idea what fire ants were. Sad to say, I know well what they are now! Steer clear!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really interesting... I have personally seen where ants have used cape emeralds, garnets, diamonds and other gemstones on thier mound piles in southern Wyoming. It is speculated that they use them to "armor" thier mounds. I have also heard of emerald hunters looking for emeralds on ant mounds to figure out where a good area would be to dig for the emeralds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions