Backyard Hunt With New V3i Brings SILVER DOLLAR!!

elksteaks

Greenie
Aug 30, 2012
Southeastern Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Wow... I cannot tell you how impressed I am with my v3i!!! To be able to look at your target in so many different ways before you even dig it up has helped me immensly by keeping my trash digs at a minimum. I just got my v3i and I decided to learn the detector I would play around with it in my backyard which borders an old field. The town I live in was established in 1864, so I always knew there was potential for silver to be lurking in my yard. I have previously swept my yard with a Garrett GTP 1350, and an MXT Pro. Today I swept it with my new V3i and let me just say that the other two detectors did not compare. I had been sweeping for about an hour and had dug 4 clad dimes oldest being an 86, 3 lincoln memorials oldest being a 62, and two parts to old toy cars. Then I got a signal in the high 90's that was crystal clear and repeatable... I was thinking to myself "Right, a dollar," as is what showed up as the likely target and it read 7 and 1/2 inches deep. So ai start digging and I blow right through 8 inches and still keep digging and at 11" down I see the ribbed edge of a LARGE SILVER COIN!!! My heart stopped dead in its tracks as I reached down and pulled out a 1922 peace dollar. You should have seen the look on my wifes face as I was jumping around the yard in disbelief. So I go inside, clean it up and calm down " a little " and head back out to hnt that area again. After about 30 minutes I get another diggable clear tone in the mid 80's at 6" down so I start cutting a plug and flip it and stare,at a smaller silver coin in the bottom of the hole... I carefully flaked off a chunk of dirt and smiled at a 1923 S merc. I hope my story gets you excited because I am stoked to get back out there and swing my v3i good luck hunting.

Attachments

• image-868178188.jpg
    image-868178188.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 146
  • image-3168300104.jpg
    image-3168300104.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 144
  • image-4011661196.jpg
    image-4011661196.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 129
  • image-3722282969.jpg
    image-3722282969.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 5

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are fantastic coin finds! Love both the merc & especially the dollar! I would almost have rather found that dollar than the gold ring I just found today! All my high 90's VDI targets are never silver dollars but are often round "coin like" objects "as in round & coin size" but it's always some junk. Even the cookie cutter I just dug tricked my MXT into thinking it was a quarter (87 VDI) but it didn't trick me as it was too big & yup it was just an old cookie cutter.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow how sweet is that? that's one that's been on my wish list forever. congrats!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice! especially in your own yard:icon_thumleft:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, enjoy your V31 I love mine.:icon_thumleft:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
elksteaks said:
Wow... I cannot tell you how impressed I am with my v3i!!! To be able to look at your target in so many different ways before you even dig it up has helped me immensly by keeping my trash digs at a minimum. I just got my v3i and I decided to learn the detector I would play around with it in my backyard which borders an old field. The town I live in was established in 1864, so I always knew there was potential for silver to be lurking in my yard. I have previously swept my yard with a Garrett GTP 1350, and an MXT Pro. Today I swept it with my new V3i and let me just say that the other two detectors did not compare. I had been sweeping for about an hour and had dug 4 clad dimes oldest being an 86, 3 lincoln memorials oldest being a 62, and two parts to old toy cars. Then I got a signal in the high 90's that was crystal clear and repeatable... I was thinking to myself "Right, a dollar," as is what showed up as the likely target and it read 7 and 1/2 inches deep. So ai start digging and I blow right through 8 inches and still keep digging and at 11" down I see the ribbed edge of a LARGE SILVER COIN!!! My heart stopped dead in its tracks as I reached down and pulled out a 1922 peace dollar. You should have seen the look on my wifes face as I was jumping around the yard in disbelief. So I go inside, clean it up and calm down " a little " and head back out to hnt that area again. After about 30 minutes I get another diggable clear tone in the mid 80's at 6" down so I start cutting a plug and flip it and stare,at a smaller silver coin in the bottom of the hole... I carefully flaked off a chunk of dirt and smiled at a 1923 S merc. I hope my story gets you excited because I am stoked to get back out there and swing my v3i good luck hunting.

This sounds more like a advertisement for the V3i. Those other detectors would have found those coins if the coil went over them.

OP
OP
elksteaks

elksteaks

Greenie
Aug 30, 2012
Southeastern Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Sorry if you didn't like my post. This was my first post but I was so excited about what I found that I had to share it. I will be posting a lot now that I have found this nice forum and they have an app for my ipad. I am not trying to advertise the v3i, I am just sharing my knowledge of having used other detectors and I am sorry but they did compare to the complexity and advancement of technology packed into the v3i. You can make this machine do exactly what you want it to do and set it for what is best for you. Before I had heard people saying it had more bells and whistles then the other detectors. Well those bells and whistles have been extremely helpful. I wish I would have saved a little extra money when I bought my MXT Pro (which is a nice machine and I have had some really great finds with it) and just bought the v3i. With the MXT Pro, and especially my Garrett GTP 1350, you are limited on the adjustments you can make. I have found deep silver with the MXT Pro, but the signals weren't as good. With the v3i, you can make a few tweaks to rx gain and descrimination and get a more solid signal on some of those targets. For me, it is much easier with the v3i to distinguish a good signal from a bad one. Hope this clarifies my post. Good luck huning all and thanks for your comments.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never speak of the detectors here I find anything with unless someone asks. I find it--not the detector.
Nice find however. And, yes any old yard will have silver coins in it.
That's like hunting a park that was never hunted.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
elksteaks said:
Sorry if you didn't like my post. This was my first post but I was so excited about what I found that I had to share it. I will be posting a lot now that I have found this nice forum and they have an app for my ipad. I am not trying to advertise the v3i, I am just sharing my knowledge of having used other detectors and I am sorry but they did compare to the complexity and advancement of technology packed into the v3i. You can make this machine do exactly what you want it to do and set it for what is best for you. Before I had heard people saying it had more bells and whistles then the other detectors. Well those bells and whistles have been extremely helpful. I wish I would have saved a little extra money when I bought my MXT Pro (which is a nice machine and I have had some really great finds with it) and just bought the v3i. With the MXT Pro, and especially my Garrett GTP 1350, you are limited on the adjustments you can make. I have found deep silver with the MXT Pro, but the signals weren't as good. With the v3i, you can make a few tweaks to rx gain and descrimination and get a more solid signal on some of those targets. For me, it is much easier with the v3i to distinguish a good signal from a bad one. Hope this clarifies my post. Good luck huning all and thanks for your comments.

Never said I did not like your post. Hey I bought the V when it first came out. I love it, but regardless of that you can still miss targets if your coil does not go over them.

OP
OP
elksteaks

elksteaks

Greenie
Aug 30, 2012
Southeastern Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Thanks for the input. I will remember to talk about the finds and not as much about the detectors. I am new to posting finds online I appreciate your help.

OP
OP
elksteaks

elksteaks

Greenie
Aug 30, 2012
Southeastern Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Ticm, that is absolutely true, and if you have any advice on maybe some of the settings you use to hunt silver on the V I am all ears :) Send me a message.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent finds, especially when you don't have to drive to find it!!! Well done!! :occasion14:

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
elksteaks said:
Thanks for the input. I will remember to talk about the finds and not as much about the detectors. I am new to posting finds online I appreciate your help.

I enjoyed your post an I enjoy learning about different kinds if detectors

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find !!! Silver dollars are a tough find - the chances of it lying where it was dropped - long enough for it to become hidden are
rather slim ! not to mention for someone to lose a coin that large and hefty , has got to be fairly uncommon as well ! I found a 1923
Peace dollar 5 years ago or so and bezel set it for a bolo tie . Argentium.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! You Don't See Those Dug Often! Way To Go! Can't wait to see what else comes from your yard.

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you! Awesome find. :) When I started out detecting I dug up a 1922 dollar,BUT it had a head and date on both sides...Batman twoface it eneded up being! Oh well was a great teaser...:)HH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver, but I would think you didn't learn the MXT very well as I've found silver dimes as deep as 12" of course it took two years to get good enough with the MXT to get the 10"+ dimes. You may have not gone over it like others have said as well it only take being off a hair and you'll miss it, thats why I'll go over an area two different directions and you could still miss targets. Being your yard I'd go over it alot being your finding silver like that. HH

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 1500.00, I hope it does laundry or dishes too!. I'd have to sell my first born or hunt full time for two years to buy that machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions