cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All. We dug this on 04/14/12 at an 1880 farmhouse in Central Florida. We hunt several home and farm sites locally from the late 1800's to 1930's and find many of the same relics that I have seen posted on T-Net (harmonica pcs, ammo, makeup items, buckles, old glass, buttons, tack and car parts, coins, tokens, household goods, toys, tools, keys and locks, etc.) but I have yet to see anything posted like this relic.

It was patented in on August 1, 1865 and was made by a leather goods manufaturer in based in France and NY City. At first I did not realize the siginificance of this item. Growing up in the south I have heard the term "carpet bagger" and "scalawag"... I believe this brass piece may have belonged to one! Carpet baggers and scalawags were southerners who immediately after the Cival War exploited the South in the name of reconstruction.

The item pictured was a valise or carpet bag latch of that era. It was patented by Bernard Stienmetz on 8/1/1865, 108 days after Lincoln was assasinated at Fords Theater. It has (34) stars on one side, the same number of states in the Union from 1861 to 1863. While I don't know if it actually belonged to a carpet bagger and the dates are little off regarding the number of stars and states in the Union in 1865, I am convinced of both conclusions. (Can you blame me?)

Patent US49207 - BERNARD STEINMETZ - Google Patents

Incidentally we dug it one day shy of the 147th anniversary of Lincoln's assaination...far-out and solid huh?

My wife thinks I going through a mid-life crisis but I can't seem to get enough of this hobby and finds like this make it worse. Thanks for the view and may the finds be with you.

C9

Attachments

• B 041412 R Neumann Co Pc Btm.jpg
    B 041412 R Neumann Co Pc Btm.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 167
  • B 041412 R Neumann Co Pc Obv.jpg
    B 041412 R Neumann Co Pc Obv.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 200
  • B 041412 R Neumann Co Pc Rev1.jpg
    B 041412 R Neumann Co Pc Rev1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 179
  • B 041412 R Neumann Co Pc Top.jpg
    B 041412 R Neumann Co Pc Top.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 4

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A nice piece of history and reminder to all that there was nothing civil about the War of Northern Aggression.....Well done!! :occasion14:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You may be aware the R. Neumann and Co. business and building in NY still existed as of just a few years ago--and may still. If they do, they may be able to shed more light on your find.
Try: R. Newmann and Co.
Description – Leather Goods Manufacturers
Address –
300 Observer Hwy, Hoboken, New Jersey ( NJ ) 07030-8410
Telephone –
(201) 659-3400
Don.......

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find but the carpet baggers and skaliwags were from the North exploiting the South Sir haha.:laughing7: We were just protecting our women and children.
Nice find c-9 and HH to ya.
TnMtns

OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find but the carpet baggers and skaliwags were from the North exploiting the South Sir haha.:laughing7: We were just protecting our women and children.
Nice find c-9 and HH to ya.
TnMtns
Hello Tnmountains. I stand corrected. I should have indicated that Carpetbaggers and Skalawags were opportunists mostly from the north not the south looking for easy gains to be made in the impoverished Confederate States...we still have them here...they are now called "politicians".

Thanks for the correction to my typo. HH C9

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice historicle find.:icon_thumleft:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Tnmountains. I stand corrected. I should have indicated that Carpetbaggers and Skalawags were opportunists mostly from the north not the south looking for easy gains to be made in the impoverished Confederate States...we still have them here...they are now called "politicians".

Thanks for the correction to my typo. HH C9

Ok, this is far too important distinction not to get it right. A "Carpetbagger" was actually a person from the North who came to the South after the WBTS to take advantage of the decimated economy and impoverished Southerners. The earned their name because of the luggage bags they often carried - made from used carpets.

A "Scalawag" was a whole different animal. This was a Southerner who supported Reconstruction after the WBTS, - even the most abusive aspects of it - for his own personal gain and advantage.

OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, this is far too important distinction not to get it right. A "Carpetbagger" was actually a person from the North who came to the South after the WBTS to take advantage of the decimated economy and impoverished Southerners. The earned their name because of the luggage bags they often carried - made from used carpets.

A "Scalawag" was a whole different animal. This was a Southerner who supported Reconstruction after the WBTS, - even the most abusive aspects of it - for his own personal gain and advantage.

Hello Old Stonewall. Dang I am corrected again. You are right this is too important to get wrong. Thanks for the clarification, I always thought that C-baggers and Salawags were one and the same. Thanks again and good hunting to you. C9

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's something I would have never thought of finding. Not that I'd find one in Indiana. Great bit of history.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I just love items like this ! Nice find, Congrats !!!!

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like thinking that your latch came off while the carpetbagger was being beat on the head with it by an intended Southern victim! Noting the crack, it all fits nicely.

Jess

Mar 29, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Bag Lock.png
Here is an image from the US Patent and Trademark and Trademark Office.

It is a bag lock, I looked it up by the Patent number :)

Jess

Mar 29, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Bag Lock text.png
And here is the text that goes along with it

edit! Haha! I just noticed the Google link you put in your original post. I feel like a dork. :)

Last edited:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find!.................HH

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I see the faint writing "R. Neumann & Co" on an old brick smoke stack (I believe that's what it is) every day as my train pulls into Hoboken....I will try to get a photo of it and post it here. Hoboken is in New Jersey (as in your address) and not New York. I thought it was an old relic still standing.

OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I see the faint writing "R. Neumann & Co" on an old brick smoke stack (I believe that's what it is) every day as my train pulls into Hoboken....I will try to get a photo of it and post it here. Hoboken is in New Jersey (as in your address) and not New York. I thought it was an old relic still standing.

Hello Erik in NJ. Thanks for the reply. A picture would be great. I have been looking for an email address for the company to send them a pic of this find thinking they may be able to shed more light on it but can't find them on the internet. Let me know if you can help.

HH. C9

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi - give me a few days as it looks like rain most of the week. Did you try the telephone number that someone posted? Regards, Erik

OP
OP
cambria09

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - give me a few days as it looks like rain most of the week. Did you try the telephone number that someone posted? Regards, Erik

Hello Erik. Yes, I called them this morning and they agreed to take a look at it. The fellow I talked to said that the R. Neumann Co. was begun in 1863 and has concerns in France and Germany also. I will post any new info that comes to light. Thanks for the reply. Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread