🥇 BANNER 1761 Two Reales, 1803 Draped Bust dime, and a heavey dose of heartbreak

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started hunting a new field this past winter/spring. The finds were scattered, but there was enough to encourage me that I might find a nice piece of early silver in this field. The first two short hunts had yielded 7 buttons and 4 toasted coppers. The only identifiable copper was a Draped Bust large cent. Last week I finally got a text from a member of the family that owns the field saying that the hay had finally been cut. I made plans with my buddy Tom to visit the field on Saturday. Saturday was hot and humid, the bugs were swarming us, the ground was dry and hard as a rock, and the hay stubble was making it difficult to get the coil close to the soil.
After 3.5 hours we had enough and called it a day. I had recovered 5 buttons (one of which I lost), 3 musketballs, and a well worn 1761 Two Reales. The Spanish silver was tarnished pretty dark. Since it was already so worn, I used a little baking soda and water to lightened it up. Tom ended up with a couple buttons, a couple musketballs, and a worn, unidentifiable copper.

Sunday morning, I had about and hour and half to kill. I had planned to hit a lot in town where they had just torn down a house, but the property owner wasn't home. Since we had some heavy thunderstorms Saturday evening, I though maybe the hay field had been softened up some. When I got to the field it was overcast and misting. I grabbed my gear out of my jeep and headed into the field. I walked out to where I wanted to start hunting, turned on my machine, and within a few feet I had a signal that was bouncing around some, but definitely good enough to investigate. I removed some dirt and the signal improved to a constant mid 70s on my F75. At this point I thought it would turn out to be another thin corroded copper. The ground in this section of the field is very rocky, almost like digging in a gravel parking lot. I finally had the target in the dirt pile beside the hole and saw it was a silver coin. I picked it up and took a look. I could see part of the date 180_, and also the bottom of the bust. I knew it wasn't bust profile of a Spanish coin. Now I'm getting excited, but I didn't want to do a field cleaning. I slipped it into a little plastic zip lock bag and put it in my finds container. Before I could fill in the hole, the heavens opened up and I had to high tail it out of the field. That was my hunt - one target, one hole dug, one silver coin in my pouch. I returned to my parents where I was staying over the weekend, and rinsed the dirt of the coin in the kitchen sink. When I saw the the Federal eagle on the back I knew for sure what I had and let out a loud, BOOM BABY!!! When I turned it over and saw the obverse, I started to cry - there was a recent scuff across the face. I thought how could I have hit this coin with my shovel? I thought I had given the target plenty of room as I dug my plug. Then I thought it might be a recent plow strike. This would be at least a $900 coin without this damage. Anyway, it's not perfect but I'm happy as heck to have dug another Draped Bust dime. I dug a 1797 two years ago.

Attachments

• 9-1-12 Dirty.jpg
    9-1-12 Dirty.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 744
  • 1803 front - dirty.jpg
    1803 front - dirty.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 698
  • 1803 back - dirty.jpg
    1803 back - dirty.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 656
  • 1761 Two Reale front.jpg
    1761 Two Reale front.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 667
  • 1761 Two Reale back.jpg
    1761 Two Reale back.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 663
  • 9-1-12 all - clean.jpg
    9-1-12 all - clean.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 693
  • 1761 front - clean.jpg
    1761 front - clean.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 694
  • 1803 Draped Bust Dime Small 8 variety.jpg
    1803 Draped Bust Dime Small 8 variety.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 689
  • 1803DPdime Steve.jpg
    1803DPdime Steve.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 5,920
  • 1803DPdimeRev Steve.jpg
    1803DPdimeRev Steve.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5,952
Last edited:
Upvote 34

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scratch or not, that dime rocks! :headbang:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, there sure is no disapointment with those finds! Wow, a Draped Bust dime is on my wish list for sure and glad to see you get one! A 2 Reale would always be a welcomend find, so you had two great hunts!

Don

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy are those a couple of great coins Steve! That bust dime is killer. Sounds like you have a quality site. Keep 'em coming!

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet bust dime steve. Its tough but it happens- and usally to the best targets!
ive got a GA coat button to prove it :(

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on the Draped Bust. You don't see those posted every day! And I've never seen one posted for the year I've been a member. Congrats.

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coins

U

umrgolf

WOW :headbang: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this your second DB dime? That's something probably VERY few can say :o

btw, I agree DB silver needs to be on the banner regardless of value, they come up about once a year on the forums

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW :headbang: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this your second DB dime? That's something probably VERY few can say :o

btw, I agree DB silver needs to be on the banner regardless of value, they come up about once a year on the forums

Jeff, you are right. Here is the first one. Although the date is gone, you can tell by the small eagle and number of stars that it was a 1797. So after this weekend I'm up to 48 Spanish silvers, 2 Draped Bust dimes, and I still have only dug one Seated silver - go figure! Thanks for the Banner comment.

Attachments

• 1797 Front.jpg
    1797 Front.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 566
  • 1797 Back.jpg
    1797 Back.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 527

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, you are right. Here is the first one. Although the date is gone, you can tell by the small eagle and number of stars that it was a 1797. So after this weekend I'm up to 48 Spanish silvers, 2 Draped Bust dimes, and I still have only dug one Seated silver - go figure! Thanks for the Banner comment.

Congrats on the old Silvers.

"go figure" yeah, those are some pretty strange numbers, and lucky for you.

I got a similar large site, where finds are sparce, can only manage one or two per hunt, but there always seems to be just one more.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel about maybe marking the coin. We like to think of ourselves as self appointed custodians of history. We like to think we're rescuing these coins from being lost forever. We try to tell ourselves that the aspect of what their worth in the market is a consideration, but only a minor, side one. We're more upset by having the opportunity to recover and preserve a coin like this and then to cause more damage to it then happened over a century buried in the ground. Feels a bit like we've failed our responsibility when we nick one.

But, also, sometimes our own behavior, (in private), gives away a bit of our "REAL" quest. I find the following two statements a bit disheartening :

"I saw the the Federal eagle on the back I knew for sure what I had and let out a loud, BOOM BABY!!!

This would be at least a $900 coin without this damage."

I know, we can't ignore the "money" aspect. BUT, if it were me, I would be upset by the marking, especially if I thought it was my own hand. But, even if it wasn't marked, I would be ECSTATIC! Just to have this in my collection and knowing that I recovered the coin.

Great finds!

You did good!

HH!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel about maybe marking the coin. We like to think of ourselves as self appointed custodians of history. We like to think we're rescuing these coins from being lost forever. We try to tell ourselves that the aspect of what their worth in the market is a consideration, but only a minor, side one. We're more upset by having the opportunity to recover and preserve a coin like this and then to cause more damage to it then happened over a century buried in the ground. Feels a bit like we've failed our responsibility when we nick one.

But, also, sometimes our own behavior, (in private), gives away a bit of our "REAL" quest. I find the following two statements a bit disheartening :

"I saw the the Federal eagle on the back I knew for sure what I had and let out a loud, BOOM BABY!!!

This would be at least a $900 coin without this damage."

I know, we can't ignore the "money" aspect. BUT, if it were me, I would be upset by the marking, especially if I thought it was my own hand. But, even if it wasn't marked, I would be ECSTATIC! Just to have this in my collection and knowing that I recovered the coin.

Great finds!

You did good!

HH!

Thanks for your comments, most of which are right on spot. The BOOM BABY was a tongue in cheek joke. As far as the value of the coin, that was included as a measure of it's rarity. I'm not in this hobby for the money. I don't sell my finds.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!! One of my dream finds! Yours is a "Davis-3" variety. Close"03", Narrow "A's". Very Scarce. CONGRATULATIONS! Hogge

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve, congrats on some great finds. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of there. I have hunted CW sites in Tennessee since 1995 and have only dug one bust dime to show. As to the prospective undamaged value, you were going to put it in your collection even if it had been a MS-65 anyway-right? Rare find. WTG, Quindy.

racermon

Greenie
Mar 6, 2011
bruce in pa also

im in harrisburg pa. do you have any good spots in pitt . im always lookin for sew spots if you need some help send a note

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your comments, most of which are right on spot. The BOOM BABY was a tongue in cheek joke. As far as the value of the coin, that was included as a measure of it's rarity. I'm not in this hobby for the money. I don't sell my finds.

I understand, comment and value notwithstanding, my post wasn't meant specifically for you but rather a general feeling. I'm glad to see that you're in this for the same reasons as I. Don't feel so left out now. ;)

As long as we're not fooling ourselves, it will be ok.

I can literally find nothing but junk all day long and still enjoy. But, if even one single old silver comes to light, I find myself smiling all the way home. :)

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread