1896 Bryan money

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
This morning I took my new F75SE to a spot that I have hit pretty hard in the past with the GTI2500. This was only the 3rd time I've used the F75 and I wanted a place that I knew what to expect. The settings I used were discrimination = 6 sens. = 60 and tones = 4h. I apparently have done a good job of cleaning out this spot. After 2 hours I had 3 keeper targets. A 1981 cent, a lapel pin or tie tack from the 1964 New york worlds fair, and a 3 inch piece of "Bryan money". Bryan money was put out by the McKinley campaign in 1896. Bryan was campaigning to free silver from the 16 to 1 ratio to gold.

The token, or whatever else you could call it, is cast iron. It has lady Liberty on one side with the date 1896. The other side has an eagle with United States of America around it. On one side of the eagle is 16 to 1 and the other side has NIT.

I'm sure that I passed over this item before because of the GTI2500 showing it to be larger than a coin. Well I would rather have this than another wheatie any day!

Attachments

• tails2.JPG
    tails2.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 162
  • heads2.JPG
    heads2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 149
  • NY Fair2.JPG
    NY Fair2.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Upvote 3

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, that type of detector wouldn't fly up here,
it could be a piece of float copper and it reads a buck but is bigger than a dollar the chance of passing it up would be greater. the detector would get confuses and lose direction and wonder around awhile,until the proper target appear rite size, shape, continuity and then peace,and unity would be restored to all it's programs though out the hole housing.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'I'm sure that I passed over this item before because of the GTI2500 showing it to be larger than a coin'

It's sad to see another person trusting the machine, I hope you don't look at the VDI. Trust your ears!

OP
OP
phs3194

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Yes I cleaned it. I used an ultrasonic cleaner to remove the caked on dirt, then rubbed it with gun oil to protect the surface. There was no rust on the surface, but there is a small amount of pitting.

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny looking cast iron! Unusual find, probably quite collectable, but in the photos it doesn't look like any kind of cast iron I ever saw. Nuggy

OP
OP
phs3194

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
You are probably correct. I made an assumption about the composition and you know how that usually ends. I looked up Bryan money on Political Collectors.com and they say that they were made from " lead type metal, zinc, babbitt metal, tin, bronze, aluminum, iron and other combinations". This one is non-magnetic but seems to be harder than lead type metal.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great relic....neat piece of history. :icon_thumleft:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The Token and Medal Society just issued (July/August 2012) the Bryan Money Supplement and Price Guide by Fred Schornstein. Both the supplement and the original book are available on the TAMS site. I've not investigated this subject a lot, but do think that I need to order a copy of the Schornstein book and read up on the subject.
John in the Great 208

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one of those I've ever seen, nice find.:icon_thumleft:

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of "Bryan money" before. Awesome find!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
both of those finds are really cool. :icon_thumleft:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice find referencing William Jennings Bryan....I'd heard of this before and perhaps seen one....this one is in beautiful condition. Congrats!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really interesting find ! Thanks for the information and post. What a cool piece of history. Congrats and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread