Ornate Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble w/ Hallmark!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ornate Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble w/ Hallmarks!

Here's my favorite find from the farm field adjacent to the 13th century church in Devon. This was a real surprise for me and has only been lightly cleaned with mild dish soap and water so far. This very ornate silver thimble is domed with a hand carved carnelian stone which is flawless--nary a scratch! There are hallmarks on it, one of which is an anchor (see image) and the other I cannot make out. It is beautifully designed from head to toe and probably belonged to the lady of the manor in the area. It does not appear that it's ever been used. There's a slight blemish near the shield from movement in the ground during the 100s of years it was there and otherwise is perfect. I'm assuming it's Victorian era, but perhaps some of the English here will shed some light on it as well as the hallmark. I have never found a thimble before and this was one heck of a first for me! Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (1).JPG
    Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (1).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 418
  • Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (2).jpg
    Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (2).jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 318
  • Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (3).jpg
    Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (3).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 306
  • Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (4).jpg
    Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (4).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Carnelian%20Domed%20Silver%20Thimble%20(4).jpg
    Carnelian%20Domed%20Silver%20Thimble%20(4).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:
Upvote 9

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhh! So pretty! I love thimbles. Since I primarily beach hunt, I haven't had the pleasure of finding a thimble as yet. (Although I did find a pair of embroidery scissors on the beach!) Really, really nice find! Congrats.

HH,
Anita

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a killer find my friend congratulations

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's beautiful! Congratulations on such a unique find.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you again for all of the very kind words on this find! I will personally reply to several posts when I get home from work. I actually went to England with my family to visit my in-laws (my wife is British) and I brought my Explorer SE Pro so i could get away from my in-laws :) Just kidding, they are great people and I LOVE visiting England -- this was my first time in Devon (gorgeous). Getting to do a bit of detecting there was just the icing on the cake! Thanks again for all your kind words so far!

Best, Erik

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super thimble : Never seen one anywhere near as nice: l must have found hundreds of thimbles (All brass or copper alloy) Ladies that did work on the fields years ago used to have a cheap thimble on each finger for protection, Hence the large amount found by detectorists, but silver ones are very rare finds. Congratulations!! Hutch.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding find !!! I know I've never seen a thimble with a stone included - I agree with a Victorian period of manufacture . You know our
UK friends will be taking us to school on this one . I love this find !!!! Argentium.

It occurs to me that the anchor - should be the city mark for Birmingham- do you see a date letter -or any
other marks ?

Hi Argentium,

Thought I'd reply to this one quickly (will reply to several other posts tonight when I get home)...my friend Chef (Geoff, maker of Chef Phones) in England saw this thimble first hand and also said the horizontal anchor (I put a close-up of the hallmarks in one pic) represented Birmingham. Can you see the anchor in the photo? It's a bit difficult to see clearly as some of the honeycomb goes through it. There is a symbol to the right of it, but I can't make it out. Any ideas? Thanks so much for your post!

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Thimble, never seen one with a stone in it! Congrats!

NJLargeCent

Feb 8, 2012
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik, a hunt in the UK AND such an amazing find? 2 lifetime achievements for sure! Congrats!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to see the anchor as yet ,or any of the other marks for that matter - What a lovely find , this one would make my year !
Argentium. ( Maybe it's time someone wrote the authoritative guide to sterling silver thimbles !!! )

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been able to see the anchor as yet ,or any of the other marks for that matter - What a lovely find , this one would make my year !
Argentium. ( Maybe it's time someone wrote the authoritative guide to sterling silver thimbles !!! )

Thanks again Argentium! I'd first found the silver love token, then a bit later a very ornately engraved sweetheart pin with the name "Dora" on it (not posted yet) and then I unearthed this. It was difficult to concentrate on detecting after I found this one.

Here's the anchor and the other unidentified hallmark next to it. The honeycomb pattern has somewhat distorted the hallmarks a bit. They are located right above the shield, which I believe was there to possibly have the owner's initials engraved on it.

Attachments

• Carnelian%20Domed%20Silver%20Thimble%20(4).jpg
    Carnelian%20Domed%20Silver%20Thimble%20(4).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
Great thimble! All the ones I find are cheap metal and mashed flat!

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Argentium! I'd first found the silver love token, then a bit later a very ornately engraved sweetheart pin with the name "Dora" on it (not posted yet) and then I unearthed this. It was difficult to concentrate on detecting after I found this one.

Here's the anchor and the other unidentified hallmark next to it. The honeycomb pattern has somewhat distorted the hallmarks a bit. They are located right above the shield, which I believe was there to possibly have the owner's initials engraved on it.
I couldn't make out the hallmarks on the pictures, but here is a link to the Birmingham assay office, you might find useful. Hutch.
Early Silver Hallmarks

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks OldSoapy....owe you a couple pints next time I'm back in England! Had a wonderful time being back at my in-laws! Gosh, i miss your lovely pubs! :) Will check out the Birmingham link when I get home. Best, Erik

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is the kind of find that keeps me out there. Love the coins and CW relics but that is the kind of unique find that makes it worth while. For me anyway. Congrats and hope you take the time to investigate it further. Would love to know the age and origin etc. Saw the good ole USA flag on your profile. If you went to the UK to metal detect I would say that made the trip.:icon_thumleft:

Thanks TNGUNS! It's probably the most beautiful piece I've found. I could not believe it when I pulled it out of the plug I cut in that farm field. When I saw the detail and carnelian dome I was in awe. The Town Mark is definitely Birmingham and the second mark which I can't identify looks like a Duty Mark which is sovereign's head. The hallmarks are stamped over the shield and into the honeycomb which makes it difficult to read.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're in England, call the Victoria and Albert museum in London. Bet they can tell you a great deal. Also, that is museum quality. Very, very nice. There is a similar one for sale on Ruby Lane antiques for $165, but your thimble is nicer.

I'm in the US, but found it in the UK. I might give them a call. Thanks....yes I saw that one on-line. So far I like mine better than the ones I've seen on-line and on eBay, but perhaps I'm a bit biased :)

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super thimble : Never seen one anywhere near as nice: l must have found hundreds of thimbles (All brass or copper alloy) Ladies that did work on the fields years ago used to have a cheap thimble on each finger for protection, Hence the large amount found by detectorists, but silver ones are very rare finds. Congratulations!! Hutch.

Thanks Hutch, I spent several days on those fields and found some nice things, but this was the only thimble I came up with--in fact the only thimble I've ever found. Chef told me also that women would use them in the fields, but typically the brass and copper alloy ones that you mentioned--not one of this caliber. This property contained a manor house that is now gone, so perhaps it was lost by the lady of the manor. I can't account for what it was doing out there in that field. I'm not sure when the house stood, but I would have expected it to have been earlier that Victorian times. I hope to do some more research on this. Best, Erik

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again to all those that took the time to post such kind words regarding this find! I really appreciate your comments!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread