Ornate Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble w/ Hallmark!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ornate Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble w/ Hallmarks!

Here's my favorite find from the farm field adjacent to the 13th century church in Devon. This was a real surprise for me and has only been lightly cleaned with mild dish soap and water so far. This very ornate silver thimble is domed with a hand carved carnelian stone which is flawless--nary a scratch! There are hallmarks on it, one of which is an anchor (see image) and the other I cannot make out. It is beautifully designed from head to toe and probably belonged to the lady of the manor in the area. It does not appear that it's ever been used. There's a slight blemish near the shield from movement in the ground during the 100s of years it was there and otherwise is perfect. I'm assuming it's Victorian era, but perhaps some of the English here will shed some light on it as well as the hallmark. I have never found a thimble before and this was one heck of a first for me! Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (1).JPG
    Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (1).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 418
  • Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (2).jpg
    Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (2).jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 318
  • Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (3).jpg
    Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (3).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 306
  • Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (4).jpg
    Carnelian Domed Silver Thimble (4).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Carnelian%20Domed%20Silver%20Thimble%20(4).jpg
    Carnelian%20Domed%20Silver%20Thimble%20(4).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
Upvote 9

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hutch, I spent several days on those fields and found some nice things, but this was the only thimble I came up with--in fact the only thimble I've ever found. Chef told me also that women would use them in the fields, but typically the brass and copper alloy ones that you mentioned--not one of this caliber. This property contained a manor house that is now gone, so perhaps it was lost by the lady of the manor. I can't account for what it was doing out there in that field. I'm not sure when the house stood, but I would have expected it to have been earlier that Victorian times. I hope to do some more research on this. Best, Erik
Also during harvest, Wives would take their husbands ,sons meals out to the fields to save them time, and while the husbands ate their meal maybe the wives did some sewing, using their better thimble. just an idea! Hutch.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is probably the most beautiful thimble I've seen, and I've seen gold ones (not found by me, though)!

I do have one question - did you get an export license for this and your other finds to bring them to the US?

Scott

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is probably the most beautiful thimble I've seen, and I've seen gold ones (not found by me, though)!

I do have one question - did you get an export license for this and your other finds to bring them to the US?

Scott

Thanks Scott for your comments on the thimble! All of my finds were recovered on property on which I obtained the land owner's specific permission to metal detect. In addition all of my finds were legally brought to the US with the proper documentation as required by the host country.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also during harvest, Wives would take their husbands ,sons meals out to the fields to save them time, and while the husbands ate their meal maybe the wives did some sewing, using their better thimble. just an idea! Hutch.

Hi Hutch, I think this is the most plausible explanation as to how it ended up there. There was a church quite near the field as well. I was quite excited when I obtained permission to detect on this field from the landowner, though I didn't recover and relics of a religious nature. I believe the field has many secrets that are deeper than I could detect (there should have been hammered coins there, but I didn't find any :( ). Perhaps I'll bring a different machine if I am lucky enough to go back there. I gave the farmer and his wife some thank you gifts for allowing me to detect so I am fairly certain that I would be allowed on the land again.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOW THAT'S a Killer find..........!!!!!:headbang:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOW THAT'S a Killer find..........!!!!!:headbang:

Thanks Greg...I have searched the UK Finds Database and there is nothing like it there. I'm guessing I should register it there. It'd be nice to see it up on the banner here... ???

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the nicest dug thimble I've ever seen! Immaculate condition. Nice find brother.

SweetT

Sep 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew a Northern Agressor who dug a thimble that nice, couldn't deny his experience in the field...:laughing7:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew a Northern Agressor who dug a thimble that nice, couldn't deny his experience in the field...:laughing7:

Thanks SweetT! I'm your huckleberry! :laughing7: :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the best thimbles I've ever seen posted on the forum. The flawless condition of this, to me, ranks this as a banner find. I would be happy to have this on the banner. There have been older thimbles posted, and nicely engraved ones, but the condition here just bowls me over, and the first one I've seen with the stone in the top.

BIG Congratulations on a Star find.

-Buckles

shawngrey16

Aug 22, 2012
New York(fornow)
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik in NJ said:
Here's my favorite find from the farm field adjacent to the 13th century church in Devon. This was a real surprise for me and has only been lightly cleaned with mild dish soap and water so far. This very ornate silver thimble is domed with a hand carved carnelian stone which is flawless--nary a scratch! There are hallmarks on it, one of which is an anchor (see image) and the other I cannot make out. It is beautifully designed from head to toe and probably belonged to the lady of the manor in the area. It does not appear that it's ever been used. There's a slight blemish near the shield from movement in the ground during the 100s of years it was there and otherwise is perfect. I'm assuming it's Victorian era, but perhaps some of the English here will shed some light on it as well as the hallmark. I have never found a thimble before and this was one heck of a first for me! Thanks for viewing!

Very nice

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one of the best thimbles I've ever seen posted on the forum. The flawless condition of this, to me, ranks this as a banner find. I would be happy to have this on the banner. There have been older thimbles posted, and nicely engraved ones, but the condition here just bowls me over, and the first one I've seen with the stone in the top.

BIG Congratulations on a Star find.

-Buckles

Thanks Buckles,

Coming from you this means an aweful lot to me...thank you for the compliment and kind words!!

Best, Erik

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty for sure.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Scott for your comments on the thimble! All of my finds were recovered on property on which I obtained the land owner's specific permission to metal detect. In addition all of my finds were legally brought to the US with the proper documentation as required by the host country.

Maybe I'm missing it Erik, Was this a recent Find ? Last couple weeks at least ?
Just asking because you posted it in Today's Finds & not in Best Finds.
but your comments sound like this could have been found years ago ?

Looks great by the way !

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jeff, Yes, we just got back from visiting my in-laws in England (last week in August) and we rented a cottage in Devon where I obtained permission from a kind farmer where we were staying to hunt on some local farm land. I didn't have access to a scanner in England so I posted it as soon as we got back and settled in (my iPhone pics would not have done it justice). Sorry I couldn't post it there as I had very limitted access to the Internet--only through my iPhone.

Thanks for the compliment!

Maybe I'm missing it Erik, Was this a recent Find ? Last couple weeks at least ?
Just asking because you posted it in Today's Finds & not in Best Finds.

Looks great by the way !

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeff, Yes, we just got back from visiting my in-laws in England (last week in August) and we rented a cottage in Devon where I obtained permission from a kind farmer where we were staying to hunt on some local farm land. I didn't have access to a scanner in England so I posted it as soon as we got back and settled in (my iPhone pics would not have done it justice). Sorry I couldn't post it there as I had very limitted access to the Internet--only through my iPhone.

Thanks for the compliment!

Think You for the Quick response & clarification Erik :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're welcome Jeff--in re-reading my post I can see where the timeframe could seem ambiguous...sorry for the confusion. I described the trip to England in this prior post of a silver love token I found on the same day as the silver thimble:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/310873-silver-english-love-token-ca-1600s.html

and I thought people would tire of my reiterating the story of the trip and why I was in England. Regarding the permission etc. I worded the post that way because I didn't want debate to ensue...my wife is from England and I have been fortunate enough to be able to detect there a few times so I know enough to always get permission from land owners (I even thanked this farmer with a couple nice bottles of wine at the end of the week) and have the proper documentation for removing any find that is over 50 years old. All-in-all it was a great trip and nice to see my wife's family--being able to detect a bit was the "icing on the cake." :icon_thumleft:

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super thimble : Never seen one anywhere near as nice: l must have found hundreds of thimbles (All brass or copper alloy) Ladies that did work on the fields years ago used to have a cheap thimble on each finger for protection, Hence the large amount found by detectorists, but silver ones are very rare finds. Congratulations!! Hutch.

Deserves to be up top : Banner find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions