2 hours...5 digs...5 rusty nails...but with nail #6 came...

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS $300+ 1895 Barber Dime

I'd like to thank the moderator (Jeff of Pa) for allowing me to post this here even though I found it a few weeks ago.

The best part is after digging it...I just looked up at the sky...thanked God
angel7.gif
...thanked my mom
angel7.gif
...hugged my best buddy Hercules
angel7.gif
...then just chucked it my pocket with the 5 rusty nails
tongue3.gif
....now 6 I guess
laughing7.gif

I am into this hobby for the joy and inner peace it brings me. I am NOT a coin collector.

I just love to see the glimmer of silver in the hole and in fact STILL feel like a kid at Christmas every time I'm lucky enough to dig one.

I had NO CLUE this was a VERY valuable dime until I got home...slung it on the counter with the 6 nails
laughing7.gif
. Yes...right dead center in the pile of nails, rust and dirt...which probably rubbed, scratched, etc while in my pocket all the way home.
tongue3.gif

I got out my "dug" Barber dime book and noticed I had only a couple of slots left to fill...and THIS one filled one of those slots...COOL.
headbang.gif

I then...just out of curiosity...got out my old 1997 Coin Values magazine and gandered at the barber dime prices.

1892...1893...1894...1895...ummm 1895:blink:....HOLY CRAP!
hello2.gif

It was then that I realized what I had...so I called over a couple of budies who are avid collectors and one is actually a dealer.

The both stated it looked to be at least solid Fine condition coin....maybe better. Still had nice details...reeded edge...full liberty...etc.:beers:

I then clicked on flea-bay to view some past auctions of ones graded VG or fine...and this one looks to blow those away.
Even a few that they had listed as F-VF don't have the detail this one does...so I'm pretty stoked.

While its very true I couldn't care less about value...it's pretty sweet that this one is in pretty nice shape and I can give it to my daughter some day.
icon_thumright.gif

I was just talking to 2 close friends today about this hunt site and how it's been a blessing to me since the 70's.

When I went through the horrid process of losing my mom to cancer a few years ago...this site and my buddy Hercules probably saved my life.
angel7.gif

I've pulled over 350 silver and 1900 wheaties from there over the years...but there is always that possibility of popping one more keeper out....and MORE IMPORTANTLY...I can clear my head and my buddy gets to chase squirrels.
notworthy.gif

Today I dug NO other coin in almost 3 hours...and that happens MANY trips here because myself and a ton of others have hunted this site for many years.

While my personal "foolproof"8-):icon_biggrin: iron hunting tecnique had me on a 5 nail to ZERO keeper tally
laughing7.gif
...nail #6 DID honestly sound like it had a true shot at being a coin in there with the nail whereas the first 5 digs were "iffy", "bordome" digs that you just have to dig to be sure.

My best buddy Herky was worn out from the heat when we got home...but was more than glad to lay his head on my leg while I typed up the post.
hello2.gif

It NEVER gets old saying this...."yet another shocking, memorable moment this hobby has given me...and another huge smile it put on my face".

Attachments

• barber18951.jpg
    barber18951.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 141
  • barber18952.jpg
    barber18952.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 149
  • barber18954.jpg
    barber18954.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 144
  • barber18955.jpg
    barber18955.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 139
  • barber18956.jpg
    barber18956.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 142
  • barber18957.jpg
    barber18957.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 164
  • barber18958.jpg
    barber18958.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 138
  • barber18959.jpg
    barber18959.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 142
  • herkyheadlapshot.jpg
    herkyheadlapshot.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Upvote 10

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about your mom. But I love to see old money and how things where worded back then

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Silverfreak ! It is so nice to see you posting again !!! been awhile - Argentium.

(oh yeah , great dime !)

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Story! Awesome Find! Awesome Hobby! This is what it's about! And man did you work for it too! Great Effort, Way To Go! Also you got one cool hunting buddy!

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the 1895 barber dime. You better work that spot real good there might be an 1894-S in that area.
Good to see you posting.
roger

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find...& a beautiful dog!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dog.sweet silver

Surfview

Jul 1, 2012
Marineland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That dime probably meant a days wages to someone in 1895. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
hi bryce! great to here from ya again. yep im sure mom was looking down at you during that dig:icon_thumleft: awesome hunt bud! willy

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shape on that 1895 Barber dime Bryce.....congrats to ya.
I imagine Herky was tired from chasing those tree rodents again. :laughing7:
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find!.....So Sorry to hear about your mother, I've buried my dad,niece,sister and a brother. But I think my mother will be the hardest.
God Bless all who have lost a loved one................................HH

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no use denying it.......if you have a Barber dime album and only have a few slots to fill, you're a collector! :laughing7: Way to go!

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no use denying it.......if you have a Barber dime album and only have a few slots to fill, you're a collector! :laughing7: Way to go!

:occasion14:Actually this is true...and not true at the same time:laughing7:. I don't collect coins but I DO have a few of the old blue whitman albums for the coins I have dug. I have one for Mercs...barbers...wheaties...and Injuns'...but the only coins allowed in them are the ones I dig. I'm saving them to give to my daughter when I hang it up. I guess I don't "collect"...but I do "save" ones for my "dug coin" collection.:icon_thumleft:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a beauty of a Barber, Bryce! :icon_thumleft: Great to see you posting again too.

And love those big browns on Hercules. :thumbsup:

HH

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice barber

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Silverfreak ! It is so nice to see you posting again !!! been awhile - Argentium.
(oh yeah , great dime !)

Congrats on the 1895 barber dime. You better work that spot real good there might be an 1894-S in that area.
Good to see you posting.
roger

hi bryce! great to here from ya again. yep im sure mom was looking down at you during that dig:icon_thumleft: awesome hunt bud! willy

Congrats on a beauty of a Barber, Bryce! :icon_thumleft: Great to see you posting again too.

And love those big browns on Hercules. :thumbsup:

HH

Thanks for remembering me:icon_thumleft:...and thanks to everyone who has responded so far.:occasion14:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, lost my Dad to cancer a couple of years ago. So hugs on your loss.

If you ever wanna give Hercules a new home, he's welcome to come live with my 2 dogs, 1 puppy, and 1 cat.

Congrats on one sweet dime...but you need to get a small pouch to keep silver in until you get it home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions