Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends, well the metal detecting gods smiled on me yesterday as I went out for a typical day of metal detecting. Turns out it was anything BUT a normal day as you shall see. I decided to go deep into the woods behind this old picnic grove (circa 1850).
Grove#1.jpg Grove#2.jpg
First hour was better than usual: dug 2 Indianheads 1889 & 1907, then 2 wheats 1912 & 1920 plus an old cufflink and possible a suspender clasp?

Grove#3.jpg
Second hour gets interesting. Came across a dead tree in the woods and swiped my detector under it and sounded offf like a tin can but with muliple VDI's :quarter, dime, etc., you get the picture.........Dug the hole about 6 inches and staring me in the face is a Barber Quarter, pulled it out, and can see multiple coins in the hole, some loose and some stuck together. What a friggin' rush. Didn't need my detector, just kept sticking my fingers in the hole feeling for coins and took them out of the hole one by one. Then I scanned the hole with my detector and got a few more making sure I didn't miss any. When all was done, there were 25 coins in that hole ranging from 1908 to 1941.

The coin breakdown: 1908-O Barber Quarter, 1913 Barber Dime, Mercury Dimes: 1920, 1924, 1928-S, 1939, 1941. Buffalo Nickels: 1918, 1920, 1923, 1923, 1926, 1935, 1935. Jefferson Nickels: 1938, 1940, 1940, 1940, 1941, 1941. Wheaties: 1920-D, 1934, 1938, 1940, 1941.

A most memorable day in my life detecting. Thanks for looking, and yesssssssssss there are coin stashes and caches still out there.........Rich
Grove#4.jpg

Attachments

• Grove#5.jpg
    Grove#5.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 254
  • Grove#6.jpg
    Grove#6.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 263
  • Grove#7.jpg
    Grove#7.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 256
  • Grove#8.jpg
    Grove#8.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 302
  • Grove#9.jpg
    Grove#9.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Grove#9a.jpg
    Grove#9a.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Grove#9b.jpg
    Grove#9b.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Grove#9c.jpg
    Grove#9c.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Grove#9d.jpg
    Grove#9d.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 20

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, great finds.:icon_thumleft:

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one nice find....Looks like it's time layout the grid in those woods.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may have been some kids fort, or hunters tree stand there in the 40's.
like Morgan dollars, barbers lasted in circulation until as recently as the 1950s,
this is why most of them dug these days, look so worn.

no sign of what they may have been in originally ?
rusted tin can, rotted faux leather ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may have been some kids fort, or hunters tree stand there in the 40's.
like Morgan dollars, barbers lasted in circulation until as recently as the 1950s,
this is why most of them dug these days, look so worn.

no sign of what they may have been in originally ?
rusted tin can, rotted faux leather ?

Not that I can ascertain as there was no sign of any remnants of anything else in the hole. My guess is someone buried those coins obviously with the intention of coming back to retreive them. The main road (Route 61) and there are some houses about 100 yards to the south from where I dug these coins. I'm ruling out a pocket spill (These coins were all in one hole, nicely stacked on one another, not spread apart, besides nobody carries a diversity of coins in their pocket like this just to carry around.) These coins were buried.

My other theory, these were possibly buried intentionally just before WW2 broke out, the owner realized that he was going to war, and come back after the war to retreive them (but never did). Latest coins were 1941 (multiple) just before the US entered the war Dec '41..........Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I can ascertain as there was no sign of any remnants of anything else in the hole. My guess is someone buried those coins obviously with the intention of coming back to retreive them. The main road (Route 61) and there are some houses about 100 yards to the south from where I dug these coins. I'm ruling out a pocket spill (These coins were all in one hole, nicely stacked on one another, not spread apart, besides nobody carries a diversity of coins in their pocket like this just to carry around.) These coins were buried.

My other theory, these were possibly buried intentionally just before WW2 broke out, the owner realized that he was going to war, and come back after the war to retreive them (but never did). Latest coins were 1941 (multiple) just before the US entered the war Dec '41..........Rich

good possibility on that scenario , my other thought was tree knot cache,
but then they wouldn't have been stacked.

I'd definitely look around for more stacks like it, if you haven't

another possibility he did return but couldn't find it, or missed one or more stacks
due to memory.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Cache. I would go back and check again and again and again all around there. Congrats.

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good possibility on that scenario , my other thought was tree knot cache,
but then they wouldn't have been stacked.

I'd definitely look around for more stacks like it, if you haven't

another possibility he did return but couldn't find it, or missed one or more stacks
due to memory.

Never thought of a tree knot cache, but will definitely search that big dead tree when I go back Monday. Yes, this opens more possibilities of additional stashes/caches...........Rich

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a hat and a shirt on the ground.......is that your secret??? Detecting in the nude? :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stash of coins you found. I would love to find a cache like that.

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice cache Rich.
It's been my experience that an individual who buries one cache most likely has buried others. I'd be trying to identify some kind of marker whether it be a tree, proximity to the shelter, rock formation etc that would have marked the location for the person who buried the money so that I can look for similar markers in the area. I've found as many as 4 caches at abandoned homesteads by trying to understand why and where someone would be burying their money and jewelry. There's generally a pattern to this behavior and there are specific places that I search first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions