Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, Finally the spring sun has come. Wattles in golden displace of colour and the wild flowers in full colour. All to be quickly fried by the belting hot sun of summer. While the weather is still mild i have been hunting relics this year. After belting the gold feilds and the very hard ground for 4 years i needed a change. First hunt of spring is an old railway station which was built during the gold mining era of the 1860's. When the panners and sluicers had long gone the miners chased the deep leads hundreds of feet below. The railway station had a platform , a siding, water tower and residence for the station master.

Often sites of this nature are littered with steel junk , spikes and links . The station was used from the 1860's till the 1930's. Not much remains today , track is still service but much of what was here was salvaged by locals for other uses. Even the hand-made red clay chimney bricks were removed.
I decided to hunt along a row of very old Sugar Gumtrees. Figured this to be the end of the stations master back yard. Plenty of pieces of brass and bits of copper junk. Fours hours of slowly picking off target by target.

Often a few cannot believe that i use a Gpx minelab as a relic machine.Well sorry i don,t think any VLF machine can match neither depth or sensitivity. Being still on gold bearing ground theres always a chance gold is to be found, even in a railway station residence . Ground mineralization is high. After 3 years with the machine i can define some targets by sound. Running a 12 inch semi -elc mono which can still pick up small button targets at over 22 inches. The nose cencor of the coil allows me to pin point the target and retrieve quite quickly.

Hardly a big find day but a Nice silver 19th century button to start the spring.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1929.jpg
    100_1929.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VR - are you sure it not military?

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VR - are you sure it not military?

made by Thomas stokes of Melbourne for Victoria Railways circa 1880 No Military Regiments in this area between 1852 and 1900.

tinpan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
made by Thomas stokes of Melbourne for Victoria Railways circa 1880 No Military Regiments in this area between 1852 and 1900.

tinpan
OK, that makes it pretty cool in my books:headbang:

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It stands for Victoria Rex. I didn't look it up to confirm (didn't have time to research), but looks like a royal engineers button. Not a railway button....jus FYI.

GT

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It stands for Victoria Rex. I didn't look it up to confirm (didn't have time to research), but looks like a royal engineers button. Not a railway button....jus FYI.

GT

"Rex" is he and Victoria was she "Regina". Victoria was queen and a Southern Australian colony under her called Victoria

Victoria Railways in Queen Victoria's Era

tinpan

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice button.:icon_thumleft:

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Rex" is he and Victoria was she "Regina". Victoria was queen and a Southern Australian colony under her called Victoria

Victoria Railways in Queen Victoria's Era

tinpan

Right, Regina...try to think faster than my brain...never knew of Victoria Railways...they weren't very original in their button design...8-)

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.very nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread