Shoulder Belt Plate and Militia Hat Plate
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By aloldstuff
  • 1 Post By Iron Patch

Thread: Shoulder Belt Plate and Militia Hat Plate

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2011
    4 times

Shoulder Belt Plate and Militia Hat Plate

I don't normally post on this forum but I felt that with these two finds I really should. By no means do I consider myself a relic hunter, meaning that I do not intentionally go out with the mind set of finding relics. I really like to find coins and that is what drives me in this hobby. I like to find them and also to read about others finds. Can't tell you how many times I would read a post about a spectacular coin and say to myself "someday".

Late August I went to a house that I have hunted before. It's from the 1700's and basically all that I have found there are coins. Well not this night. I got a nice repeatable signal on the V3i about 8" down and dug. When I got it out of the hole I knew that it was something special but I had no idea what it was. Well it turns out to be a Militia Hat Plate circa 1836. Sad thing was it was missing its head. Once I found out what it was I contacted Leonard Short and arranged for the restoration. Haven't gotten it back yet but I can't wait to see the end result.

Now on Labor Day I set out to find my 50th silver coin for the year. Seeing that it was gonna be my 50th I wanted something special. So I decided to go to another 1700's house out of town. I figured that at that location my chances of getting a special silver were better than at a park. Well I didn't get my 50th but I did find something really good. It's a shoulder belt plate from the rev war or shortly thereafter. It has some script writing on the front which I am trying to decipher. It's definately a name.

In my 5 years of being a detectorist I have managed to get a very nice militia belt plate,( WE&T Best finds 2008) an early Commonwealth button, the hat plate and now the shoulder belt plate. Once I get the hat plate back I will be able to create a nice framed display for the foyer.

Thanks for reading and if anybody wants to take a stab at the name on the shoulder belt plate feel free to chime in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22 Aug 2012 001.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	672568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 Sept 2012 001.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	672569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 Sept 2012 002.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	672570  
    Last edited by aloldstuff; Sep 07, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Maybe you can figure out the name under magnification. Really nice relic though! Congrats................Hogge
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT), Vermont Ryder-3 *$1200...To be continued

umrgolf
    Outstanding finds! let us know what you come up with for a name

To me the front (and back) seems more typical of a trunk plate, but hope it's not. If I had dug it the first thing I'd do is find out if those attachments are consistent with shoulder plates, and if not, probably widen my search for the ID.
    BuckleBoy likes this.

us
    Apr 2009
    Maryland
    Minelab CTX3030
    375 times
    Relic Hunting
    Very nice finds. These finds may turn you into a relic hunter. Good luck on your 50th silver!

UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

If found in the UK, it looks similar to the above, although the orientation is different. What is clear is that it went on leather, but what the leather was attached to is what you need to know.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    I open my prezzies out of lumps of mud. 02/10/19
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Aug 2012
    The Land of Captain Crunch
    DFX Starting to understand the machine. :)
    44 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Really nice, Smoley Hokes.

My ability to learn and grow may be my greatest asset.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links