Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Button Find Of a Lifetime! ~Pics~ UPDATE

Hello all you folks out there on the Net of treasure!

**Pics are up! Yay!**

**Preliminary appraisals by people who know a huge amount about military buttons and the like have valued this at between $500-$1000 dollars!! This makes it at least 10-20 times more valuable then my next most valuable find!! Woohoo!!**

So today Bob and I hit a field which has produced many old and good items in the past. It is a very large field, and they had recently turned it over. Unfortunately, we weren't hitting on much; I found a rivet, Bob found a musketball. Nothing exciting. After maybe an hour we decided to head over to the field where we stealthed at about a week ago, for we had gotten stuff there (I found a very old handmade rein guide and a button, and Bob found a couple buttons.) This particular field has produced many military buttons, musket balls, et cetera dating back to the war of 1812 era. We believe it to have been a muster field, because of the large amout of military items.

So we were doing rows back and forth, leapfrogging each other to give adequate room, and about 50 feet from the road I get a signal bouncing from nickel to pulltab. I'm thinking "oh great, more aluminum." Anyways, I flipped the dirt out and once I knew it was out of the hole, I brought out my pinpointer. I finally found it, contained within a small clump of dirt. I picked up the clump and when I turned it over I saw some kind of copper/brass disk staring at me. Since we had just been joking about aluminum and pulltabs, Bob asked me if that was what I found, with a chuckle. Things got very serious when I said "...No...It's a button with a cannon!" And then he asks me if I'm kidding him, which I wasn't. I brought it over to him and we removed the clump of dirt from the back (revealing no shank), and we investigated it. I knew it said (Ar)tillery on the bottom, but I couldn't make out what it said on the top. Then I finally realized it said (Massa)chusetts, thus saying (Massa)chusetts (Ar)tillery. There are letters in parentheses because the button was struck off-center, therefore cutting the letters off. Then we began going over the details: The cannon on wheels, the stack of cannonballs in front of the cannon, the incredible amout of detail on it in general (This field is VERY good on copper. It gives it a beautiful patina without making it corroded or crumbly/flaky.) Bob quickly called up our friend Paul, and by the time Bob was finished with his description of the button, he had it pulled up online. He informed me that the thing above the cannon was in fact a flag, with the Massachusetts state seal on it. Here is a link to the same button I have, just not mine: Woa89d Massachusetts Militia Artillery button circa 1810 This one is flawless, but mine isn't much more worn than it. All of the letters are clear, I can see the spokes of the wheel, all of the lines on the cannon, the state seal, the folds in the flag, the flagpole, but not the grass (I think). It's simply beautiful. And neither Bob, Paul, nor I had ever heard of or seen this button, and combined we have over forty years of relic hunting research and expericence. I was only able to find five other examples of it on the internet, only two in better condition. And I didn't see any mention of a backmark on them. The backmark on mine is "TREBLE GILT - BOSDON" (Boston) None of us had ever heard of a Boston backmark either.

I feel so amazingly lucky to have found this once in a lifetime button, and I'm still partially in a state of disbelief. Like I said, I hope to have the pictures up be tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Attachments

• Button1.jpg
    Button1.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Button2.jpg
    Button2.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Button3.jpg
    Button3.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Button4.jpg
    Button4.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Button5.jpg
    Button5.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Button6.jpg
    Button6.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 7

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's great. Can't wait to see some pictures!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy dancing for you in White Plains, New York - Congratulations! :occasion14:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see the picts on this one! Sounds like potential banner material in the making!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see those photos! Sounds like a killer find!

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow thanks! It would just make my year if I made the banner! My year has already been made e this!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW! what a find....Indeed a once in a life time find. Congrats and kudo's................HH

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely Amazing, Beautiful button!!

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats a Killer State Button!
surprisingly listed in Tice #1 :icon_thumleft:
I think the 'D' look in Boston is from large serifs on the 'T',
Congrats on the awesome Find !!

Attachments

• NH FINDS 09-08 009.jpg
    NH FINDS 09-08 009.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 130
  • NH FINDS 09-08 008.jpg
    NH FINDS 09-08 008.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome recovery! I like digging rare old buttons more than I do coins. You found a great one there.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score , thats something you dont see everyday !

OP
OP
RelicHunter97

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome recovery! I like digging rare old buttons more than I do coins. You found a great one there.

Yeah sometimes they can be more exciting! I'm going to post two new pictures and the pictures of the rest of the finds from my three days of hunting at the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread