1911 liberty nickel

ch Penn

Aug 29, 2012
Hello everyone,
I'm new to metal detecting. Four month ago I borrowed a cheep metal detector from my mother(don't know what kind but cheep). I went out in my back yard and found an old pocket knife. I then went online and found it was made somewhere between 1860 and 1890 (don't know if source is creditable). I was hooked. I couldn't quit thinking about who had that knife or how it got there. I also wanted to know what else might be in my yard. One month later I went out and bought an etrac. For about three months now I've been out metal detecting almost everyday. At first it was fun finding clad because I was learning my machine along with getting a little gas money back. I haven't been able to find any good old spots to metal detect and I'm tired of clad so I haven't had the metal detector out much in the last week. Yesterday I hit a field I've been thinking about for awhile and this liberty nickel is the only coin that I found. I'm sure glad it
wasn't clad. I can't wait to get out again.

Attachments

• image-454307059.jpg
    image-454307059.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 176
  • image-620192679.jpg
    image-620192679.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 185
Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. I love V-nicks and that knife is cool :icon_thumleft:

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you finds . i want that nickle lol. its on my to dig list HH

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking V nickel.

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on the interesting finds. I love finding knives and who doesn't like V nickles? There are several references if you'd care to Google "Our Boy Knife".

Welcome to the hobby.

Chuck

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds! I love to imagine how things were used and then got lost and who owned it. Then to do the research on a little piece of history you just found is very cool as well.
Do your research on old places and ask permission to hunt those spots. The more people you talk to, the more doors will open up for some great places to go. Keep at it and you will make a lot more great finds!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds............HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions