North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't see these everyday...............1877 American Silver Trade Dollar

I almost fell over when I saw the thick reeded edge of this silver dollar sticking out of the dirt. I've been hunting this 1795 plantation home about 5 times before and never dug anything better/older than a 1935 wheat penny. The current owner has lived in it since 1974 and says that only one person had detected the front yard area (at least with permission). I've searched the yard area around the entire perimeter of the house and found very little which brings me to the conclusion that it has been pounded by detectors or there is fill dirt over the yard area.

I decided to move out further from the house this afternoon and see what I could find. I was detecting along the old driveway area and got a dead solid 93 reading on my Teknetics T2 SE and thought probably an aluminum can but the signal sounded too good so I started digging. Using my Raven relic digger and cutting around the target on 3 sides I laid over the plug and immediately recognized the reeded edge of a large silver coin. I grabbed it out of the dirt and with it mostly still covered in dirt I could see the 1877 and quickly realized that meant it had to be a Seated Liberty silver dollar. I was dying to see it but wasn't about to try and clean it there in the woods.

When I got home I ran it under water then soaked it for an hour or so to soften the dirt then lighted blotted it under water with a sponge. At first it looked to be in excellent condition but a little closer inspection revealed an old gash on the obverse above Liberty's feet. It makes me feel a little better knowing that I didn't gash it but still kinda bummed about it. I had to look in my Red Book to learn about US Trade Dollars, didn't know anything about them (see link below for more info). Either way I am still in disbelief over this find and can't wait to hit the woods around this property again.

American Silver Trade Dollar Coins

Attachments

• big silver #1.jpg
    big silver #1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 227
  • big silver #2.jpg
    big silver #2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 181
  • big silver #3.jpg
    big silver #3.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 165
  • big silver #4.jpg
    big silver #4.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 16

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats on finding a coin that is so rare!! I don't think I've ever seen one on here! WTG!

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great looking dollar.....and is in great shape

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Great find! I don't understand the remarks about it being a Seated Dollar, as it is clearly a Trade Dollar. Read the letters on the reverse under the eagle. Trade Dollar!

While fake Trade Dollars are common these days, I'm not concerned about the authenticity of your find. If it had come from eBay, then that would be a different story. Deserves Banner votes for sure!

Colosprings73

Apr 17, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Fisher CZ3D,
Tesoro Tejon,
Whites 6000 di pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Detector Pro Pistol Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ken,

Reed told me to check this out.....great find....I thought I would win the coin of the month at our club with a 1900 barber I found with reed saturday.

Ps....I have found a site to hunt in morisville near the historic battlefield.....not privately owned and secluded...I found my first two civil war bullets today and some other relics.
Email me if you want to go this week or weekend.

Mark

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Great find! I don't understand the remarks about it being a Seated Dollar, as it is clearly a Trade Dollar. Read the letters on the reverse under the eagle. Trade Dollar!

Wasnt sure if it was going to be a Seated, or a Trade dollar from the title either.

Nice looking coin with much detail left and maybe even some luster

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other

Wasnt sure if it was going to be a Seated, or a Trade dollar from the title either.

Sorry for labeling this coin incorrectly. I fixed the thread title. When I found it and posted this I thought that it was a Seat Liberty coin that was also I Trade Dollar. Now I know, thanks!

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Ken,

Reed told me to check this out.....great find....I thought I would win the coin of the month at our club with a 1900 barber I found with reed saturday.

Ps....I have found a site to hunt in morisville near the historic battlefield.....not privately owned and secluded...I found my first two civil war bullets today and some other relics.
Email me if you want to go this week or weekend.

Mark

Mark, sorry about stealing your thunder for coin of the month 8-). I'll email you about detecting, I'm definetly insterested.

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:
I can only hope to find a silver dollar some day.

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet coin! I'll also add my vote for the banner. It'll look really good up there. :coffee2:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a very uncommon find and I can't even remember when I last saw one dug. Congrats on a digging a very unique coin.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a great find and something you don't see every day. Congrats on one of those finds of a lifetime!

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!! An absolutely incredible find!!!!
Congrats!!!
Banner voted!!

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread