North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You don't see these everyday...............1877 American Silver Trade Dollar

I almost fell over when I saw the thick reeded edge of this silver dollar sticking out of the dirt. I've been hunting this 1795 plantation home about 5 times before and never dug anything better/older than a 1935 wheat penny. The current owner has lived in it since 1974 and says that only one person had detected the front yard area (at least with permission). I've searched the yard area around the entire perimeter of the house and found very little which brings me to the conclusion that it has been pounded by detectors or there is fill dirt over the yard area.

I decided to move out further from the house this afternoon and see what I could find. I was detecting along the old driveway area and got a dead solid 93 reading on my Teknetics T2 SE and thought probably an aluminum can but the signal sounded too good so I started digging. Using my Raven relic digger and cutting around the target on 3 sides I laid over the plug and immediately recognized the reeded edge of a large silver coin. I grabbed it out of the dirt and with it mostly still covered in dirt I could see the 1877 and quickly realized that meant it had to be a Seated Liberty silver dollar. I was dying to see it but wasn't about to try and clean it there in the woods.

When I got home I ran it under water then soaked it for an hour or so to soften the dirt then lighted blotted it under water with a sponge. At first it looked to be in excellent condition but a little closer inspection revealed an old gash on the obverse above Liberty's feet. It makes me feel a little better knowing that I didn't gash it but still kinda bummed about it. I had to look in my Red Book to learn about US Trade Dollars, didn't know anything about them (see link below for more info). Either way I am still in disbelief over this find and can't wait to hit the woods around this property again.

American Silver Trade Dollar Coins

Attachments

• big silver #1.jpg
    big silver #1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 227
  • big silver #2.jpg
    big silver #2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 181
  • big silver #3.jpg
    big silver #3.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 165
  • big silver #4.jpg
    big silver #4.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 16

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is WAY cool! I'd flip out if I saw that in one of my plugs! I've been looking for my first decent shaped seated anything for a while now, and to find an uncommon trade dollar seated...wow. Congrats!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Let me be the first to say .............. man, what a great find! You certainly "paid your dues" by hunting a yard that old "5 times" so far, to only find a few wheaties. And now..... to pork out this! I've found about a dozen silver dollars, and ....... they're all normal boring ones. You skipped right to the top and scored this!

Last edited:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Find! That Is One Beautiful Silver Dollar! Your persistence sure paid off! Way To Go!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
A Liberty Seated Silver Dollar is just about one of the toughest of all 19th century U.S. coins to ever find metal detecting! 8-)

Oddly enough, when they do show up on rare occasion, invariably the coins are the Trade Dollar variety minted for International Exchange, rather than those intended for domestic circulation. Congratulations on a beautiful coin, and commendations on carefully handling and softly rinsing this fine recovery!

A note of interest as well, is my own introduction to the metal detecting hobby actually began over three decades ago in the Tarheel State. Nice to see there are still really nice finds to be uncovered there.

Banner Find Indeed. :occasion14:

CC Hunter

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ! I dug mine in 2000

Nice thing about digging one, you know odds are it's real :laughing7:
yours looks like it was lost in the 1870's

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job. I to am hunting a spot that was built in the 1800's but have not found anything around the house but trash? I think the trade dollar is one of the nicest dollar coins they minted! Way to go.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a lifetime.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the comments and congratulations. It's a great feeling to put in so much time to this hobby and have it pay off with finds like this.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look authentic to my untrained eye. (Comparing to the link which shows fake vs real) This dug coin has all characteristics of a genuine specimen. *takes off monacle* Now weigh that baby and confirm your good fortune!! NICE JOB

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
A Liberty Seated Silver Dollar is just about one of the toughest of all 19th century U.S. coins to ever find metal detecting! 8-)

Oddly enough, when they do show up on rare occasion, invariably the coins are the Trade Dollar variety minted for International Exchange, rather than those intended for domestic circulation. Congratulations on a beautiful coin, and commendations on carefully handling and softly rinsing this fine recovery!

A note of interest as well, is my own introduction to the metal detecting hobby actually began over three decades ago in the Tarheel State. Nice to see there are still really nice finds to be uncovered there.

Banner Find Indeed. :occasion14:

CC Hunter

Awesome find ...got my vote for banner

Thanks guys for the banner votes!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner find, dude!

I've never found a silver dollar, much less one of these babies!

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silver dollar

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Ken. I look forward to seeing it at the next club meeting.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, thats a handful of heart attack! Those are beautiful coins. That one is incredible. This has to be banner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread