Return to Coin Spill site... Hunting bud finds UNBELIEVABLE GOLD coin

U

umrgolf

Hey guys, it had been a couple weeks since I found the coin spill with the six silvers. I went back 2 days after the first 6 and found an additional 1842-O dime. Well, the next day I talked the landowner into plowing six plots in the field for me, including the spill site.

Fast forward to today.... Mike Scott and Gene Scullion from Fisher Metal Detectors came into town to hunt with me and my hunting buddy Coach Croft.

Five minutes after we get out of the truck I hear Coach yell "HOLY #$%@, A GOLD COIN" :laughing7: So the three of us run over to see this coin, and FOLKS it is BEAUTIFUL.

Its an 1841-C $2.5 gold coin.. The C mintmark really threw me for a loop so I looked it up on my phone. Minted at the CHARLOTTE, NC mint..

10,200 mintage :o

He also found the 1827 capped bust dime and 1853 quarter from the same small 20 foot circle. All in all we had a great day between the four of us, but Coach kicked our butts. :laughing9: We found several eagle buttons, and other CW relics but no other coins. :laughing7:

Thanks for looking and congrats Coach!!

- Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
Upvote 15

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
awesome finds!!! I bet there is more out there!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow WOW and wow. that is amazing. that gold coin is worth a few grand

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its doesnt get any better than that ! Awesome score :icon_thumleft:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all that can be said has been! WOW!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wav::wav::wav::wav:

Nothing else to say, except CONGRATS!

HH,
Anita

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Amazing recoveries! Your generosity in sharing the plowed site did not go unnoticed. Beautiful gold coin!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Too bad it has the "C" mintmark. That's one year you want no mintmark at all as they're worth over $50k in that condition.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who doesn't like a gold coin, great find for your mate.

If only I had your silver tongue & could get my farmers to deep plough, I would be kicking butt right now, I hope you thank him well!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin, great find....... Too bad you didnt find it or that your buddy is not a member...... Coin doesn't qualify for the banner since found by a nonmember.....We have had several votes for it for banner, but to be a banner find it has to be found by a member while a current member.........

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Beautiful coin, great find....... Too bad you didnt find it or that your buddy is not a member...... Coin doesn't qualify for the banner since found by a nonmember.....We have had several votes for it for banner, but to be a banner find it has to be found by a member while a current member.........

Thanks for the response. We knew it wasn't eligible but it was something he asked me to share.

hogcoach

Mar 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. I am a member of Treasurenet but Jeff shot all the video and is real comfortable on the computer. I have found a ton of stuff thanks to Jeff motivating me to get out and hunt with him. Our hunt was with Skully and Mike from Fisher Detectors which added to my excitement because I found my first coin hunting with some great people! The later coins were some thick icing on a great cake. Thanks again for all of the support. Hogcoach

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. I am a member of Treasurenet but Jeff shot all the video and is real comfortable on the computer. I have found a ton of stuff thanks to Jeff motivating me to get out and hunt with him. Our hunt was with Skully and Mike from Fisher Detectors which added to my excitement because I found my first coin hunting with some great people! The later coins were some thick icing on a great cake. Thanks again for all of the support. Hogcoach

I didn't know you were a member :laughing9: but even if you had posted it, its still not eligible for a member's first post.

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All these comments and not one mention of BANNER?

infoleather

Sep 12, 2012
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope to have more discovery. I am very pleased that all the stories and pictures, and can not wait to see more! Way to go guys!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these comments and not one mention of BANNER?

Maybe you didn't read it all or realise the rules of banner, the member needs to post it.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes the whole season worth it beautiful finds that quarter is a looker to ill take all 3 lol great hunt everything and kind field WOW !! :notworthy: Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread