Return to Coin Spill site... Hunting bud finds UNBELIEVABLE GOLD coin

U

umrgolf

Hey guys, it had been a couple weeks since I found the coin spill with the six silvers. I went back 2 days after the first 6 and found an additional 1842-O dime. Well, the next day I talked the landowner into plowing six plots in the field for me, including the spill site.

Fast forward to today.... Mike Scott and Gene Scullion from Fisher Metal Detectors came into town to hunt with me and my hunting buddy Coach Croft.

Five minutes after we get out of the truck I hear Coach yell "HOLY #$%@, A GOLD COIN" :laughing7: So the three of us run over to see this coin, and FOLKS it is BEAUTIFUL.

Its an 1841-C $2.5 gold coin.. The C mintmark really threw me for a loop so I looked it up on my phone. Minted at the CHARLOTTE, NC mint..

10,200 mintage :o

He also found the 1827 capped bust dime and 1853 quarter from the same small 20 foot circle. All in all we had a great day between the four of us, but Coach kicked our butts. :laughing9: We found several eagle buttons, and other CW relics but no other coins. :laughing7:

Thanks for looking and congrats Coach!!

- Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
Upvote 15

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speechless.. :notworthy:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn you found the Field of dreams... a producer to say the least! Great finds!:occasion14:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Something is going on with that site. You need to hunt every squire inch. Very nice gold coin!!! Tennessee digger

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Here's two pics I took with my phone shortly after found :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 346

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What a day for Coach!! I'm sure he's eternally grateful for you giving him the opportunity to make an awesome find like that. Kudos to you for being a stand-up guy and sharing your site. Maybe there's a chance you guys missed some. Bring in a GPX and give it one last try. Good luck!!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is hard to believe. Awesome...... Hope ya tried the G/B trick and it works for ya. That is enough to give you some restless nights wondering what else is out there. Congrats.....to say the least.:icon_thumleft:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
What a day for Coach!! I'm sure he's eternally grateful for you giving him the opportunity to make an awesome find like that. Kudos to you for being a stand-up guy and sharing your site. Maybe there's a chance you guys missed some. Bring in a GPX and give it one last try. Good luck!!

I must disagree... umrgolf has been a real SEATED kind of guy lately:headbang:

Without saying, the gold is awsome! You guys are really digging it up lately!

VPR

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man all those silver coins and now a gold coin .. this is sick :laughing7: ha ha Simply Incredible Jeff ! What is your take on what is going on out there ? :icon_scratch: imo, seems the boys were gambling and pounding down some alcohol after the paymaster settled up . What was the reaction of the Fisher reps ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

Man all those silver coins and now a gold coin .. this is sick :laughing7: ha ha Simply Incredible Jeff ! What is your take on what is going on out there ? :icon_scratch: What was the reaction of the Fisher reps ?

They both took some pictures and videos, we were all jumping around like little kids and high-fiving.. It was AWESOME!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They both took some pictures and videos, we were all jumping around like little kids and high-fiving.. It was AWESOME!
What a hunt ! The coach scores big with a gold one , hope your next :o:cool:

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day when you find a gold coin, what a rush,wish I was there to see his face when he found it, big congrats.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seated quarter is a beauty as well. The gold is nice, too. That goes without saying.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great site you have there Jeff...good idea to get the field ploughed! And super nice of the farmer to do it. Great find for sure!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, I can believe that!

In-credible. If you'd have done this on TV, no one would have believed you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread