Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One word: ketchup

Seriously, put it in a plastic bag with ketchup for a couple days and replace sauce when it turn brown. I suppose you could also put it in straight or diluted vinegar which I've had success with recently.

Aug 28, 2012
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean it with distilled water first and a soft bristled brush (tooth brush) and see where you're at. If its a key date, you could damage it with vinegar.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with a soak in lemon juice. It does great on crusty sand stuff. If it is still unreadable, you let it sit overnight in Worcheshire sauce. That will bleach it back to nickle color but it does leave the coin rather flat colored.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
SusanMN said:
Start with a soak in lemon juice. It does great on crusty sand stuff. If it is still unreadable, you let it sit overnight in Worcheshire sauce. That will bleach it back to nickle color but it does leave the coin rather flat colored.

Yep

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything with vinegar in it has the potential to pit the nickle. I have tried countless methods and was disappointed with all of them, except using a sos pad. It is the quickest and best looking method to clean nickels. Hold the nickel under running water and rub the sos pad on it, you will be surprised how much better it will look.

If you click the banner in my signature I have a section with pictures of all my cleaning methods on my website

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread