TWICE in a lifetime...

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, BLISSTOOL, E-Trac, White's DF, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK - this is absolutely insane.
About a year ago I found my first cob - a 1666 Potosi mint in great condition in a farm field on eastern Long Island.
Yesterday I went out looking for a field to get some detecting in. I spotted a field that is across from one of my regular spots and that I was never able to get onto as the cover was always too high. This field is about half mile from the field where I found my first cob.
Well they must have pulled the potatoes out early this week because the field was like a flat baseball field with a nice soft cover of freshly rolled dirt.
I headed down a straight line on the right side of the field and didn't get a hit....so I decide to make a 90 degree left about midway down the field and start heading across.
About 40 feet on this line, I get a nice repeatable 82 on the Deus in 12khz. If you don't have a Deus, that's copper area and thin small silver.
About 6" deep and it's out of the hole...a quick pinpoint and instantly I knew I had a hammered silver of some sort. I rub slightly but cannot see any details. An hour later, back at the car and a little shake in my plastic pill bottle with some water...and you guessed it....holy crap.....another cob.
However - what I can't believe is that it had the date on it (luckly me) and even more unbelieveable is that it's ANOTHER 1666!!!!
Barry

1666 cob front sept2012.jpg 1666 cob back sept2012.jpg 1666 cob front both.jpg

Upvote 9

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is nice very nice. With luck like that you need to buy yourself a lottery ticket.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats awesome man , great score !

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
absolutly awesome find, a simaler thing hapened a few years ago with two silver dollars that I found at the beach. I got two 1924 peace dollars abought a mile apart from each other,
on two different days.I also found a 1795 2 reale piece but hope to find a cob some day.:icon_thumleft:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
far out! wonder what the odds of that happening was?

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Now ya have problems. You will have to run a line between the last find and the new one, then move over & run the line back. Just have to make sure there's not a sting of em. Great find.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I"m lucky to get an old corn can, and you get a Cob, not one, but two. Sheesh.
Great find.
HH
MG

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Cool Barry, :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft: Congrads on the great find.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Barry what are the odd,s of that ? and both are in very good shape 1666 nice !! i hit a potato field today oldest coin i got was a 1905 V nickle and a 1800,s bee hive thimble lol Good luck next month .Jim

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Find! Way To Go! :icon_thumright:

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being that those were in relatively close proximity (I know its pretty far but...) perhaps you should keep searching around the general area. This could be from a cache or an old battle where these were spread around before the properties were divided the way they are today.
I'd be hunting that area exclusively for as long as I could. Nice find(s)!

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Awesome find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread