STUNNING Restoration of U.S. Breastplate Dug on 8-29!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View restoration at end of original post and thanks for looking!!!

A typical August day in Tennessee with 90+ deg. and high humidity. I had two choices early this am:
A. Mow my 3+ acre lawn while it was cool,
or
B. Go relic hunting
Naturally, I chose choice "B". I hit a site near a large U.S. camp about 45 minutes after good light. I hunted for nearly an hour and a half without finding even one bullet. Then, I got a "55" reading on my F75. I thought it was my first bullet or musket ball for the day. Instead, I pulled out a rolled up piece of lead. I immediately knew what it was. I carefully cleaned the interior and saw the eagle. This relic appears to have been deliberately curled in.

A recognized CW relic expert theorized that one of the iron loops broke or cracked and the soldier then wanted to see how strong he was and then discarded it. My friend Robert McDaniel in AL who is a relic repair master says he "can help the looks of it" so I may send it to him for straightening and rim repair. This is the third breastplate I have dug.
I looked for another hour or so with no other relics recovered. Ironically, I dug a 1995 nickel which is the year I started hunting for CW relics. Thanks for looking and HH, Quindy.

Attachments

• Breastplate Back 8-29-12.JPG
    Breastplate Back 8-29-12.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 315
  • U.S. Breastplate 829-12.JPG
    U.S. Breastplate 829-12.JPG
    453.9 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It displays better in the box without the iron hooks and I don't know if the relic restorers can do gold gilding. Robert restored another BP for me that had perimeter ground action that was serious. The effects of acid rain since the 1960s is heart breaking and pretty soon the thin brass will be gone in most areas. HH, Quindy.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
VOL1266-X said:
It displays better in the box without the iron hooks and I don't know if the relic restorers can do gold gilding. Robert restored another BP for me that had perimeter ground action that was serious. The effects of acid rain since the 1960s is heart breaking and pretty soon the thin brass will be gone in most areas. HH, Quindy.

Well the guy sure has talent. It is amazing what some people can do.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice restoration Quindy. It will display and show well. I like that you always take the high road and I doubt anyone would question your integrity. You said you were going to have it restored and you did. And it is a job well done. So there ya go. Congratulations.
HH
TnMtns

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome job at restoration. Thank you for taking the time and spending the money to bring that beautiful piece of history back to life. Also, thanks for sharing the story and pics with us. Have a great night.

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for looking Bill, Ticm, IF69, Breezie, Dave, d2, GaRebel, and fellow Tennessee hunters Richard and Dan. HH to all of you, Quindy.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Q, I finally found the after pictures! Robert is a "Metal Master". That plate looks great. Tennessee digger

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Q, I finally found the after pictures! Robert is a "Metal Master". That plate looks great. Tennessee digger
Thanks Donnie. I was very pleased with the restoration and over half of the relics I have dug so far this year are directly because of your research and knowledge of the area. Looking forward to you and Julia hunting with the Trio next week. HH, Quindy.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your friend is an artist. Amazing find and an awesome restoration!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful restoration, Quindy. What kids really need is to get out there first hand and dig this history up themselves! I wish so badly I was into this hobby when I was younger...I would have learned so much more than what was taught in the books!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Quindy , Been busy but I wanted to check in to see how your doing . Nice job with the restoration of the breast plate . Looking forward to another Great season from you and all the Tenn. hunters HH :)

:skullflag: dawg

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your friend is an artist. Amazing find and an awesome restoration!
Thanks TENNESSEEGAL (Dan's Sis) for looking and HH in East Tenn.

Matt, I echo your feelings. We ( Tenn. Trio) have taken Relic Hound hunting with us along with his uncle Dixiedigger and it's rewarding to see how excited he gets. I plan to take more young people hunting this year too. From what friends who relic hunted in the late 1960s have told me, a monkey with a broom could find great relics-LOL. We missed the good ole days. HH, Quindy.

Dawg, We are going to officially open the Fall relic season on Tuesday. Good luck on mill sittes this Fall my friend. You are the Master Mill Hunter. HH, Quindy.

Last edited:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
amazing restoration! looks awesome

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great nice job buddy.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Quindy, what a treasure! Display it proudly!!!

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's amazing work... I wonder what his secret is?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread